Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 12:13 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default koni shocks

Hi Folks,

I installed the koni adjustable shocks on the front of my car - great shock I very much like it. However, it is currently mated with the M030 rear shocks as Koni has discontinued the rear application. I'm hoping that someone on this board has a set of koni rear shocks that they are willing to sell. So if anyone have any koni shocks in any condition that will fit the rear of a 993 - please drop me an email.

Alternatively if anyone can think of some ways to get other adjustable shocks in there that would be great too - I need ideas here!

Thanks much!

Boris
Old 09-05-2003, 10:14 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Boris, sorry I'm not going to be of help, but how much of a difference do the front Koni's make? I have M030 all around, but would like more control on the front. Thanks...
Old 09-06-2003, 02:48 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Troy:

LOL,......I'll just chime in here and cast a vote for either Bilstein HD struts and shocks or PSS-9's,......in either case you cannot go wrong.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:07 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think the Koni shocks are far superior to the billstein HD shocks and the M030 shocks. The M030 shocks have very limited life spans.

I think the PSS9 is the best mass market setup out there. Having a matched set of springs & shocks is clearly superior. And since they are adjustable they are the best. But I would put the combination of Koni shocks & H&R Springs as a very good alternative. You do get lots of control with the adjustable Koni's.

Hope that helps....

Cheers,
Boris
Old 09-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Boris Teksler
I think the Koni shocks are far superior to the billstein HD shocks
I don't think you know that for a fact. I have had both Koni and Bilstein aftermarket dampers on more than a dozen cars. Both Porsche and others. While the performance of both may be comparable, the quality of the Bilstein is quite superior. I have had a number of Koni's leak prematurely but never a Bilstein. At any rate, the fact that Koni's are not available for the 993, makes it irrelevant at this point.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:33 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Viken,

Interesting information on the Koni's premature leak. Good data. I too have had the Bilstein HD's on my 964. Ultimately I just wanted something that was adjustable and was too cheap to spring for the PSS9's. However, I like the Koni's much better than my Bilstein HD's. They can adjust to be far softer and far firmer than the HD's.

I am having Koni make me a set of rears. They discontinued them because of tooling problems but plan to reintroduce soon. So it will be a good option in the future.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 09-07-2003, 01:31 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

I am having Koni make me a set of rears. They discontinued them because of tooling problems but plan to reintroduce soon. So it will be a good option in the future.
Where will the adjustment be on the rear shocks? Typically, you need to remove the shock and adjust it by a turning process. I would rather have a fixed shock than have to go through such a lengthy process.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:33 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Viken,

Good question. I've been told that the ones being built for me are externally adjustable. I assume similar to the front - via the plastic slip-on ****. I will post some pics once i get them. as a sidenote, i agree if the konis are not externally adjustable then the appeal goes away!

cheers,
boris
Old 09-08-2003, 03:39 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

I've been told that the ones being built for me are externally adjustable. I assume similar to the front - via the plastic slip-on ****.
That's all well and good, but how will you be able to reach the top of the rear dampers for that adjustment?
Old 09-08-2003, 09:46 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the replies, this is great info - I'm in sponge mode now so the more viewpoints the better!

Boris, with your Koni-on-the-front setup, what softness do you have set?
Old 09-09-2003, 05:16 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Troy, for street I use maximum soft. For autox on a stick track I set it 1/2 turn off full stiff. Same for track. For autox on a slippery surface (i.e. lots of loose gravel) I set it to near max. soft. I also have adjustable sway bars - which helps me dial out the understeer and get my back end to come around when i want it.

however, i'm not sure that i've figured out the optimal setup.

Cheers,
Boris

Quick Reply: koni shocks