993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Targa roof stuck !

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 07:27 AM
Magic
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Targa roof stuck !

I can no longer make the glass roof on my Targa work. The blind works fine and the first part of the glass roof will tilt up an down as required, bu the main part of the glass roof won't move at all !!. Any ideas ??

Old 08-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

There are three motors for the Targa top...they are located underneath the rear speaker shelf. Its pretty easy to get at them by removing the rear shelf. Its a few screws that are just behind the rear sets and the whole shelf just drops out.

I would first of all check the fuses. I can't remember if each motor has a seperate fuse but its worth looking at. Does it make any noise after the wind deflector rises and its time for the large roof to move back? If there is motor noise then you either have a problem with the clutch in the motor assembly or you have broken the cable. Does the roof tend to twist sideways? If so then you might have a broken cable on one side.

If you do not hear any noice and no movement, then its likely electrical or the motor is shot. Take the rear shelf off and checkout the three motors. I can't remember which one is the main drive but if you activate the blind and listen, and the wind deflector and listen, you should be able to isolate the main drive motor. Once you do that, take a voltmeter and check to see if power is being applied to the motor if you activate the switch to retract the main roof. You can put the probes from the meter into the connector. You might require some help since you need to turn on the switch while looking at the meter...

Write back after you have diagnosed a little more. Its likely a small problem since the mechanism is not that much more complex than the normal sunroofs (contrary to what others have said on the list). One thing that is a bear is the alignment...that might require someone with the right workshop manual supplement.

Good luck!

Mike
Old 08-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Magic
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up It works !

Mike,

Thanks for your help. I removed the back panel and got my daughter to push the switches to find out which motor wasn't working. It was the one nearest the wiper housing.. which was quite difficult to get out. Anyway we had concluded that the blind also wasn't working at this stage.

I removed the motor and placed it sideways whilst my daughter pressed the switch lo and behold it started whirring. So back I placed the motor screwed it in and it worked ever since. So i don't know what the real issue was but it seems okay now. Hopefully its not an intermittent fault.

By the way, i didn't have a clue what I was going to do with the volt meter which i rushed out an bought as no-one could tell me how to use it !.

Many thanks !
Old 08-26-2003, 04:17 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

That's great! Hopefully it was just a loose connection..BTW the whole idea of the meter was to tell if power was being applied to the motor. Meters vary widely so its hard to give instructions, but you should have it set to DC (direct current) and in a range that can hande 12-14 volts. The black lead is in contact with the car body (ground) and the red lead would go onto the metal part of the connector going to the motor. If the switch is on and you get zero volts then no power is at the connector. If you get 12-14 volts then power is being connected. Its a lot harder to explain than to show you in person! ;-)

Enjoy the Targa!!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: 993 Targa roof stuck !