Sponsored by:

advice on c2/c4 purchase (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 12:58 PM
Jon Gust
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post advice on c2/c4 purchase (long)

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and am seeking advice on which 993 to buy. I was originally planning to save some $ with a 964, but I love the look of the 993s too much. So its come down to the wire. Most of the cars in my price range are 95s, and for some reason most of them are c4's. I've driven 2 of them so far and liked them both but I'm just not sure they felt as fast as I'd think a 911 should be. The handling however was above reproach. At what RPMs do these motors start to come alive? I didn't want to bag someone elses car on my test drives, but at lower rpms there definately isn't a lot of grunt. So far the only comparison I have between c2 and c4, varioram and non, are what few 0-60, 0-100 and 1/4 mile times I could scrounge up on the net. Useless really because of the wide variation I found. Anywhere from 4.9 to 5.8 0-60 times on a non varioram c4. I know these numbers aren't important, and believe me I am NOT a drag racer, but I believe they do give some indication of what a car can do compared to other variations of the same model.

I've heard people say they prefer the c2 on the track which I can understand. Less drivetrain HP loss, and probably a 'lighter' feel than a c4. I will definately be participating in track events, but the car will primarily be a weekend street car. My question would be, all things being equal (driver, tires, engine etc), how much slower would a c4 be than a c2 in your average road-course event? Marginal? Big difference? Obviously in adverse weather conditions the c4 would likely come out ahead, but frankly this car wont likely see a LOT of poor weather as I'll want to keep it mint for many years to come.

One other question (i know this is getting long), how much extra should i pay for a 'mint' car? I've looked at 3 cars so far. The first one was in average condition and stock (3 owners, 97k kms) price: $57k (canadian dollars here), second one was absolutely mint, had H&R coilovers, factory aero kit, 18"s one owner and 85k kms - price: $69k (really liked this one), third one was in better shape than the first, but not as nice as the second, 135k kms, totally stock single owner and $55k. All were 95 carerra 4. I was planning to add 18" wheels and H&R coils to whatever car I buy anyway, so that isn't an issue. I just have to wonder, is that car really worth $10-15k more than the others? I hope to test drive a c2 this week, so maybe I can make some personal judgements then. Its hard to do though without really 'pushing' the car.

I guess in the end its personal preference, but if I could have some input I'd be very appreciative! Maybe I'm not asking the right questions, but I've searched the archive many times and haven't found any specific posts that address these things really to my satisfaction. This is after all a big purchase for me and I want to make the right decision.

thanks,
Jon
Old 09-02-2002, 01:13 PM
Burnham
Instructor

Hello Jon and welcome,

I cant really help with the values as I am the other side of the pond and figures vary, but I test drove a C4 before I plumped for the C2S.

I think it is really down to personal preference (so long as you dont need a 4 due the snow!). I've never owned an all wheel drive car because I really enjoy the rear wheel feel though, ultimately, my decision was based on other values such as condition and spec over the actual drive setup.

As for the impression of speed, I do think the 993 hides it well. My previous car was Turbocharged and felt as quick (if not quicker) than the 993. In real terms the P-Car is a lot quicker its just smoother and quieter as well.

(Its when you look at the speedo and notice your doing 70 in a 40 zone that you notice how quick it actually is).

Whatever 993 you buy I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:02 PM
stinky
Instructor

When I test drove my 1995 C4, I remember thinking, I'm not impressed with the cars acceleration. After driving the car for a couple of months, I found that the car REALLY comes alive over 4K rpms. During the test drive, I tended to not push the car to its limits, I probably should have, not that it would have changed my decision.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Hi Jon,

I thought in Toronto you want to avoid the cars that are 100,000km+ because it implies they are driven year round...and that salt can cause problems? I am not sure how a car with 85,000km can be "mint", you usually see the cars down at 20,000km as more mint.

then again I picked up my 96 Targa with 100,000Km for the mid fifties. $69K is too much for a Toronto car with 85,000km IMHO.

I had to get some cosmetics done (i.e. paint chips etc) and it had some minor rust (some spots on the support struts on the rear quarters just behind the rear wheels) but all in all I am happy with my car. I am in Vancouver so I had to get if checked remotely..I used Pfaff but not sure if I would again...they missed too many things.

I wanted a Targa so the C2 vs C4 argument did not come into play. And the C2S was out of range for me anyways.

I also agree that the 993 hides its speed...I sometimes am crusing along and realize that I am WAY over the speed limit....and it felt slower!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-02-2002, 03:59 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

Guess it depends on what you want. The C2 will be more "tossable" if oversteer is what floats your boat. The weight difference is what 100 lbs.? Are '95 C2 5 or 6 speeds?

The cars are fairly evenly matched, so the better driver will always will always be faster. Equal drivers might find the C4 having the advantage.

Comes down to personal preference...
Old 09-02-2002, 05:00 PM
Jon Gust
3rd Gear

Hey guys, thanks for your replies.

I sorta figured these cars power was all in the 'top end', so thanks for confirming. I just dont feel right stomping on it while on a test drive with the owner beside me, but I guess I'll have to do it at least once just to see. They do feel extremely tight and smooth at speed, so I can see how it would hide its speed well.

Mike - the average mileage on these cars seems to be mid 80s to mid 90s which I guess is normal. I too am concerned about salt etc so have been checking them quite thoroughly. The first one @97k kms showed some small signs of rust on the engine lid release in the driver doorjam. The second one (for $69k) has obviously not been winter driven and stored inside most of its life. Besides a very few chips it appeared to be nearly flawless... which sucks because as you say I too feel its a little over priced. Though what would it cost me to add 18" wheels and H&R coilovers like this one has?

If you think an equal driver/car in a c2 and c4 would be fairly evenly matched on a track, thats good enough for me. Like I said I dont have a huge preference.. I just want to find the best car for the money, and if I dont have to worry whether its a c2 or c4 it just opens up my options a bit.

your opinions have been great, thanks so much! It sure helps to make an informed decision. The last guy who's car I looked at was impressed by my knowledge... all gained from these forums. thanks again

Jon
Old 09-02-2002, 05:07 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

Jon, seems to me that all 911s really come to life above 4 grand...

Good luck with your search - which is part of the fun...

Quick Reply: advice on c2/c4 purchase (long)