Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Won't Lower

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 12:15 AM
AustinL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Convertible Top Won't Lower

Today, I went out to take my car for a drive and I attempted to lower my convertible top. When I did the left locking motor released, but the right (passenger side) did not. I immediately pushed the button the opposite way for it to place the top back down, and then the right motor began making a clicking noise.

My guess from reading previous posts is that the right motor will need to be replaced. However, the warning light has come on, but the top seems to be completely lowered since it is flush and completely even. Is this light just telling me there is something wrong with the top. The manual mentions using a screw driver to lock it down and so I used the Porsche toolkit screw driver and followed the diagram, but it didn't seem like I was doing anything. Is that because it is completely locked down or do I need to use a different type of screwdriver (flathead)?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Austin.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:48 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Numerous past threads on this topic, in my case the top would be put up and rest in the top but would not lock down, it turned out to be the micro switch were dirty and $ 35 dollars later my Porsche dealer had it resolved.

I had cehcked the fuse and tried putting cardboard in between the top and the car of which neither made any difference,

Good luck with it maybe others can offer additonal suggestions
Old 09-02-2002, 11:50 AM
AustinL
Advanced

I did some more investigating this morning, by removing the cover that covers the locking mechnasism so that I could actually see where the screwdriver was supposed to go.

Interestingly the left motor will lock and unlock fine with the screwdriver, but the right side will not do anything, lock or unlock, with the screw driver.

This leads me to believe that when I tried to open it yesterday that the right side never even released. What is irritating is that the light is still on the console.

Is my car ok to drive or should I have it towed on a flatbead to a dealer?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:06 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

This may or may not be an acceptable option for cab owners: My brother has a '96 Cab that was experiencing cab top problems. After repairing it and reading all of the cab top problems experienced by Rennlisters, we decided to convert it to a manual only top (still uses the front electronic latches, however). It now works essentially the same as my previous '86 911 cab top (except for the front electronic latches). It's much faster to raise and lower now.
Jim

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Won't Lower