Sponsored by:

The Slippery Slope Chasing The RS Dream

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 04:56 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Post The Slippery Slope Chasing The RS Dream

I thought it was time I shared the story of the modifications I've made to my 97' 993 Arctic Silver/Classic Gray Coupe in the last 2.5 years.

I've tried to create a 993RS copy out of a stock US Coupe without going crazy on the budget using all factory parts. Yes I know I probably need a mental health check up

It has been a labor of love which would have not been possible without the valuable resources of this board.

My car is obviously far from a real RS but I'm happy with the results so far.

I've completed my own personal version of the RS interior since my car is/was Classic Gray inside and all RS's had black interiors. Also I wanted to retain the parcel shelf for the rear speakers. So what I've ended with is a blend of Classic Gray and black inside.

Bellow is a list of modifications completed over the last couple of years and a few pictures:

Body Work Exterior:

Factory RS Body Kit: Includes fixed rear spoiler/wing, front splitters, side skirts.

Front & Rear Euro Bumper Conversion: Includes removal of front and rear bumper guards & fitting front and rear euro side and tail lights. Fitted widebody muffler tip heat shields to rear bumper.

Gert’s Front Protection Bar. Removed Third Brake Light. Removed Rear Wiper.

Wheels, Tires & Brakes:

Kinesis Super Cup Wheels: Front 8.5x18, Rear 10x18 with factory “RS” center caps

Kumho Ecsta MX Tires: Front 235/40-18, Rear 275/35-18.

Brakes: Stock with powder coated red caliper, Porsche logo in white. Performance Friction Z rated pads for the street. ATE Super Blue brake fluid.

Suspension:

H&R Coilovers with stock mounts, Factory M030 Sway Bars, Factory Aluminum Strut Brace. Corner balanced and aligned for aggressive street and advanced DE. Ride height set to Euro RS specs.

Engine & Transmission:

Engine is stock except for Motor Sound air box cover with TT inlet air scoop and BMC air filter. Street exhaust is Robin Sun’s RSR Special with Dansk polished big oval tips. Cruise control was removed when the transmission was installed.

Transmission is 95’ ROW G50/21/01 fitted with a RUF 40% locking LSD mated to an RS light weight flywheel and clutch assembly.

Interior:

Genuine Factory RS black leather seats, RS steering wheel, RS shifter, RS storage shelf . Custom made RS door panels (Classic Gray) with genuine RS door handles and pulls. RS Aluminum door sills. Tech Art pedals, Aluminum Instrument Bezels. Rear fog light switch. Black “993” logo Lloyd mats

Removed rear seat and seat belts, carpeted rear seat and foot well area, reupholstered rear shelf to cover seat belt and rear wiper holes.

Stereo:

Nackamichi CD-45Z in dash CD tuner linked to Kenwood Excelon Speakers

Trunk:

Removed stock window washer reservoir fitted RS 1 liter reservoir inside trunk, modified front carpet to match RS short carpet.

For The Track:

Factory Super Cup Mufflers, Pagid Orange brake pads, Stock 993 17” Cup wheels with Hoosier GAC tires front 245/40-17, rear 275/40-17. Simpson 6-point harnesses, Brey Krause harness guide bar.

What’s Left/ Winter Projects:

RS adjustable sway bars, monoball/camber plates, RS engine and transmission mounts, RS alternator pulley, ECU reprogram from Rennsport Systems.

I guess one day I will get to the 3.8 Engine Upgrade but that may never happen since there is a 964 Cup Car calling my name. So I'm thinking of selling, because the need to race is upon me.

JF
Old 08-22-2003, 05:11 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice
Old 08-22-2003, 07:57 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I remember meeting you and drooling on your car earlier this year at Parade! It looks great!
Old 08-22-2003, 08:18 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

ummm...YUMM!!!

Old 08-22-2003, 08:41 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Beautiful car!

nota_troll: I didn't recognize you for a moment with your new avatar...
Old 08-22-2003, 09:26 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Very Nice!

I'm kinda on the same "path", ecept mine will be little more "spartan"
I guess you could then call it RSR or something (and I haven't decided whether I want outside to be RS or RSCS).
So far I've done only interior & mechanical stuff (not done yet though!), outside follows later

When you sell that beauty, would you be interested in selling those seats or trading them with Sparco Evos? PM me if you're interested (I know you're not selling it at the momet but I'm not in a hurry and I like my evos so no rush at all).
Old 08-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Looks great! What do the seats cost each?

Brgds
Piers
Old 08-22-2003, 10:59 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Awesome!
Old 08-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Beautiful car, JF... It looks great.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Wow. I'm impressed. You sure you don't want RS brakes on your list?

Btw, where did you get the ROW g50/21 and how much, if I may ask? Many here highly recommend that as the best performance mod you can get for the dough.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:56 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Followup Questions:

I think I remember meeting you and drooling on your car earlier this year at Parade! It looks great!

Hi Terry yes that was me.

Seats:

The seats are original Porsche RS (they have the bracing molded into the backs for TUV approval), bought in this country to fit into a USA 964 Cup Car. I have the original sales receipt for them from 97' $5,900! I bought through PCA Mart earlier this year for about 60% of that. When I received them I could not believe their condition, they were/are as good as new.

FF: I have tried to defer the cost of this conversion by selling all of the stock parts from my car, everything I removed from the car has either been on ebay or sold through the Rennlist Classifieds. Therefore when/if I sell the car the seats go with it, also these RS seats are a big part of how this conversion looks.

Rezel: I did consider Big Red Brakes but they will not fit inside my Kinesis Super Cup wheels which were the first thing I put on the car. Also I have been more than happy with the stock brakes and Pagid Orange pads at the track. I can attain 140mph on the back straight at Mid-Ohio and slow for turn 7 (90 degree right) at the end of a 30 minute DE session with no signs of fade. The car weighs about 2750lbs without me in it and half a tank of gas. I think you will find most of the board agree that the stock brakes are more than adequate.

I purchased the transmission from Harald in Germany for $4K including shipping and that was when the $ was at it's weakest in May. The transmission had 24k miles on it and the RUF LSD was already fitted. Harald is a class act I had a very positive experience dealing with him. The only problem we had was when German customs impounded the crate for a few days as a suspected bomb! The Clutch and LWF package came from Gert also a delight to deal with $1500 including shipping. Installation by Chris Moore at Autobahn Extremist in Cleveland $1900 (this included a couple of small jobs on the engine during removal. Chris is also highly recommended.

I have to say everything you read on this board about this conversion is true, it transforms the performance of the car.

Thanks for all the compliments.

JF
Old 08-22-2003, 03:10 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Whoa - quite nice! Great job, JF!
Old 08-22-2003, 04:07 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Very sweet, please comment on the new gearbox and lightweight flywheel combo, especially how it pertains to DE runs.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:11 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which 964 cup car did you buy? I am thinikng of buying the same car to race and was wondering your impressions.

Mitch
Old 08-22-2003, 08:36 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Follow Up Part 2:

Rob:

The best way to describe the transmission/ LWF clutch set from a DE point of view are my improved lap times at Mid-Ohio this year, before the transmission 1:50 after 1:47.8. Before the upgrade turn 6 the keyhole (180 degree right) second gear was too high, third gear was too low, after the upgrade it is a sold third gear turn at about 4k RPM. This is true of corners that were too high for third gear but too low for fourth gear, now they are solid fourth gear corners. Also the car revs easier with the LWF & Clutch.
The only concern is over revving the car changing down. At the end of the main straightaway at Mid-Ohio with the stock set up I was shifting down directly from fifth gear to third. With the new set up I have to shift from fifth to fourth to third or I will risk over revving the engine.

Seat of the pants feel is about 50HP increase over stock, the car just feels right, just as Porsche intended it to before the bureaucrats got involved.

Also there is some rattle from the LWF/Clutch at idle but no big deal.

Mitch:

I havn't purchased the Cup Car yet but I'm actively looking, I'm on the fence between a USA Cup car that can still be driven on the street occasionally and a full blown Carrera Cup car that is dedicated to the track.

I will post some better photos of my car after the weekend, I have a friend who is a master at photo shop.

JF

Quick Reply: The Slippery Slope Chasing The RS Dream