Sponsored by: DashLynx

Door handle stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:36 PM
ricks993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door handle stuck

1995 C-2 my door handle; button / latch, just pushed in and did not open the door. Also the button stayed pushed in and does not come out on its own. Before I start blindly dissembling my door, has anyone else had this problem??
Old 11-26-2014, 10:47 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

My '98 has a trigger, not a button. Sticking is common due to lack of lubrication. I suspect the solution is the same, regardless of the shape of the actuating device.

Search the forum. It is difficult to resolve this by trying to shoot in a quality lubricant (not WD40) from the outside. A lasting fix usually involves removing the door card, removing or loosening the exterior door handle from the inside and thoroughly lubricating the trigger mechanism.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:15 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

My trigger has gone loose, not connected to anything. Looks like door card off and see what has gone wrong inside
Old 11-27-2014, 10:32 AM
ricks993
Racer

Mine looks to be more than just needing lubricant. I can pull out the Lever/ “trigger” and when I push it back in the door does not unlatch. My first guess would be a clip inside the door has come off, need to do exploratory surgery on the door panel to find out. I did a search and could not find anything on the subject, hoped that someone else had already fixed this problem.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:06 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

With the lever/trigger pulled, try pushing on the door to try to release the tension on the latch, in an attempt to get the door open.

If not, go have some Thanksgiving turkey, and wait for the tryptophan to kick in and enjoy your nap.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2014, 12:28 PM
overrestored
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimPA
My '98 has a trigger, not a button. Sticking is common due to lack of lubrication. I suspect the solution is the same, regardless of the shape of the actuating device.

Search the forum. It is difficult to resolve this by trying to shoot in a quality lubricant (not WD40) from the outside. A lasting fix usually involves removing the door card, removing or loosening the exterior door handle from the inside and thoroughly lubricating the trigger mechanism.
+1...

it's a bit of a pain to get the handle off... but cleaning and re-lubing the mechanism inside is the solution. The little plastic gismo that covers the inside of the door latch is a pain to get back in the right location... I hate that little sucker.

Good time to replace the exterior door handle gaskets if yours are worn.

Don't forget to remove the little black screw inside the door pocket that attaches the armrest to the door card. This is a super weak area and if you forget it and yank on the armrest... it will crack.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:33 PM
servalx
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search for my name and door lock issue...sounds like you may have a similar issue
Old 12-06-2014, 12:06 PM
911PERVY
Banned

OK, a few hours and all is now well again, actually better than ever, silky smooth operation. The trigger plunger was completely jammed stuck (cold and muck) cleaned with degreaser and relubed. The other side will get the same treatment next week as its no where as smooth as the newly lubed one!
Old 12-06-2014, 12:41 PM
ricks993
Racer

For me the problem was the end of the lever you open the door with broke off. Waiting for replacement part, “Insert without lock cylinder” now I have to learn how to remove my current lock assembly and install it in the new Insert
Old 12-06-2014, 12:46 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Simple enough, remove the handle from the car, unscrew the screw at the end of the barrel, carefully remove and replace in the new lock. (make sure you dont drop any pins out of the barrel)

Quick Reply: Door handle stuck