Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kill the Carbonization! : Anyone have old O2 sensor connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Kill the Carbonization! : Anyone have old O2 sensor connectors?

Hopefully someone can help me with this...

As part of my project to provide a pluggable solution to the dreaded ODBII carbonization detection problem, I need to source example electrical connectors for the 4 oxygen sensors on the 96-98 993's. I need both the female and male side of the connectors. AMP has been reasonably cooperative but very slow and expensive so that approach is not likely to work. I am now working with another Rennlister to see if we can build a custom connector that will help make the solution "pluggable"...but we need some examples to work with....and I would hate to take the wire cutters to my car!

So, anyone out there has replaced their old O2 sensors and kept them around, and would be willing to mail me just the connectors? Just snip them off leaving a couple of inches of wire and mail them to me...that would help a lot! Send me an email and I can give you my address.

I also need the wiring harness side connectors. This is harder since you usually don't replace the harness..anyone replace the engine management system and has the harness lying around? I will be checking with the wreckers as well...

Here is a picture of the O2 sensor side connector:

Here is a picture of the wiring harness side connector:

Thanks!

Mike
Old 08-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Kim, I sent you my address!

The more the merrier so don't let this stop anyone else....

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-21-2003, 12:50 AM
dsinn
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Count me in. Drop me your address and I'll get them out ASAP.

David
Old 08-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks guys!...looks like the O2 side connectors are not too much of a problem.

The harness side connectors are much more difficult. I phoned about a dozen wreckers...and non of them have a car where the wiring harness is hooped...but I am still hopefull If anyone knows of a car that has been damaged enough some someone would not mind cutting these connectors off I would appreciate it!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Pete in DC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Mike - wish I could solve this at the root (and not for $6000) rather than a mask, but the less tech inclined (I'll speak for myself) are rooting for you. Drop an email if you need to set up a kitty for the wiring harness connectors.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I did a poll a while back and there are definitely two camps. One is to take the engine apart and fix the problem and forget about the masking, and the other is, since the cabonization does not seem to affect the engine at all, just mask it. I have gotten the dreaded light a few times (intermittent so far) and I am in the second camp for sure...why spend $6000 to correct a "problem" that occurs in the first 30 seconds of startup? I am willing to bet my lawnmover puts out more pollution than the 993 if the air pump was not working!

I have the circuit board designed, figured out the wiring routing and how to get the initial air pump signal, but the connectors have turned out to be a major stumbling block. Its AMP's policy of Minimum Order Quanities. For instance, there is a MOQ of 1500 pcs on the male side connector...and the current pricing is about $10 per connector pair. That is a lot of initial capital outlay for something which has a very specific narrow market. There are some alternatives which I am working at, and the is where having example connectors come in..

Of course we can go the route of forgetting about the connectors and have people use crimping connectors on the harness but I would rather make it 100% pluggable and not touch the original harnesses at all.

If nothing else the problem is interesting!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-22-2003, 01:15 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone considered using a GIAC chip with this OBDII function disabled? Check here: http://www.giacusa.com/giac/home.php...r&mn_img=capab

Someone mentioned they called GIAC and they said they could disable this check, but it would be for “off road use only.” I’m thinking you could promise to use this chip while on the race track only, swapping it in and out with the stock chip for street use.

My ’95 OBDI appears immune to this, but I think even the cost of a second ECU that you could swap in and out would be better than an engine tear down.

Tom
’95 993
Old 08-22-2003, 01:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have not looked at chipping my car (primarily because its a 96 and would need a new ECU) but how much does a chip cost (would this be a special version?)?

I think it comes down to passing emissions. If the check light is on you can't pass emissions but the car has to also be able to pass the exhaust gas testing. If this chip is designed for "off-road" use only will it still meet the exhaust emission testing? Up here in Vancouver we have the most **** emissions testing in Canada (groan!). The government decided to emulate California and so we have the whole nine yards with the ODBII hookups and dyno testing....but they test the car hot. This is why I thought a plugin solution that does not touch the ODBII unit and only works during the first 30 seconds of startup makes sense.

Sounds like another good way to go though...
Old 08-22-2003, 02:13 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

I would think you could go three routes: 1) Stock chip with only this function disabled, 2) Standard GIAC performance improvements with this function disabled or 3) Extra performance for a true race car, race gas, new engine internals, etc, with this function disabled. The only reason all three are “for off road use only” is because of smog laws in the US. It’s illegal to defeat the smog checks unless the car is not registered for street use. I don’t know the laws in Canada. But still, a new ECU (that you would “promise” to swap in and out) would be cheaper than an engine tear down.

I don’t know the cost. My ’95 has a chip, but that doesn’t apply to a ’96. I don’t know what GIAC would charge for this semi-custom modification.

Tom
’95 993
Old 09-08-2003, 03:39 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I thought I would bring this post up again to see if anyone else can help me who did not see it last time around. I am making progress (thanks Kim!) but still am looking for one of the the O2 side connectors (male). The specific one I am missing if for the O2 sensor with the Brown/Yellow wire. Anyone who has old O2 sensors that are willing to send me the connector ends I would greatly appreciate them contacting me....
Old 09-08-2003, 08:54 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can the part no tbe ordered from Porsche as a spare part?? I expect they can supply all connectors used on the car?????
Old 09-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi John,

Yes but I don't want to buy a bunch of 02 sensors just for the male connectors, and the ones on my car do not need replacing. Porsche will not sell the connectors by themselves. If you damage a connector you might have to buy a wiring harness to replace it.

AMP is not cooperating, you cannot get this connectors in less quanities than 5000 pieces, my local Porsche shop does not replace them that often, and I tried lots of Porsche wreckers in the US. However, I have managed to get three of the four connectors I need anyways and can fabricate the fourth but I thought I would ask anyways.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:54 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all of the warranty-replacement 933 wire harness jobs happening now, I would expect that you should be able to get what you need at the local dealership.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:52 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Following J-Mc's suggestion, maybe start a new thread "Anyone having wiring harness replaced soon?"

Maybe they can ask their dealer for the old part...? Just a thought...
Old 09-08-2003, 05:46 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Will the wiring harness recall from a '95 have what you need? I have to get mine done and if they say it needs to be replaced, I will see if I can get the old one back. I am a few weeks off for this although. I go in on the 16th for a check of the harness issue at my independent shop to see how soon if at all I need to replace mine.

Evan.

Quick Reply: Kill the Carbonization! : Anyone have old O2 sensor connectors?