Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bosch Hammer Alternative - PDT999?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 03:34 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Follow up on the UDT999's functionality and the US 993 alarm module.

Software is open, cable connected, ignition on, Alarm tab selected.

Clicked on "connect." Discovered that I quickly needed to select 993 in the list at the right in order to prevent errors, and random disconnects. Also selected Cab/Targa for the heck of it, although not sure what it did, if anything.

Checked faults

And cleared faults

No more faults

Clicked "input signals." Software shows that door locks are open, but no other open signals as expected. Unsure what "Power T15" is.

Opened door, engine compartment, frunk, glove box. Lights show up as expected

I also tried all of the drive links. The following did nothing: Func display, Button light, and Ext output.

Everthing else worked, horn, door locks, etc. Anti-drive made an audible relay "click" and flashed the check engine light.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-29-2015, 04:54 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There is no users manual that comes with the tool, or is downloadable, that describes functionality?
Old 04-29-2015, 05:07 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nine9six
There is no users manual that comes with the tool, or is downloadable, that describes functionality?
There is a manual link at the bottom of this page - http://home.kpn.nl/mirjam_paul/udt99...index_eng.html.

It is incomplete, however. Clearly these guys spend more tinkering with the hardware and software of classic Porsches than writing documentation :-)

If there is something you'd like me to check out, I can try it and report back.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:20 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Thank you, looks like just what I need.

Mike

Originally Posted by mpruden
Follow up on the UDT999's functionality and the US 993 alarm module.

Software is open, cable connected, ignition on, Alarm tab selected.

Clicked on "connect." Discovered that I quickly needed to select 993 in the list at the right in order to prevent errors, and random disconnects. Also selected Cab/Targa for the heck of it, although not sure what it did, if anything.

Checked faults

And cleared faults

No more faults

Clicked "input signals." Software shows that door locks are open, but no other open signals as expected. Unsure what "Power T15" is.

Opened door, engine compartment, frunk, glove box. Lights show up as expected

I also tried all of the drive links. The following did nothing: Func display, Button light, and Ext output.

Everthing else worked, horn, door locks, etc. Anti-drive made an audible relay "click" and flashed the check engine light.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:24 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Agreed +1 .. UDT999 effective at ABS pump cycle..

Several "Thumbs Up reports" from 928 GT & 993 C4S owners in Germany whom are long time owners of the UDT999 software.

Neglecting the 993's ABS pump unit could prove costly ..... fellow Rennlist'rs recount a similar gruesome $$$$ story... "I started the coupe one morning ... and the pedal went to the floor"

I went old sckool having recently (Monday) bought the Bosch Hammer.

Originally Posted by e9stibi
I got it with OBD2 connector and it works. I git it because it can cycle the ABS bump for brake bleeding of my C4S. Just contact the folks for any specific question. His product is quite popular in Europe.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:08 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Good call on the Hammer. In my experience, the UDT999 is not quite ready for prime time for US 993 owners with our specific DME. I'll do some more "in the wild" testing and provide bug reports to the programmers. Hopefully they continue to invest in development (and documentation) in order to make a killer product for us 993 owners.

For example, I can't do knock registration, see ignition timing, look at any emissions readiness codes, or activate the Varioram flaps. You can do some of this with other DMEs, just not the US version.

I can do some of the cool drive links like start the SAI pump (but not monitor the O2 sensors at the same time), activate the ISV, tank vent, etc.

That being said, the alarm module seems to work pretty well. Thanks to the suggestion above, I browsed through the WSM and it does indeed have a fairly detailed diagnostic section on the alarm. The UDT999 seems to mirror about 95% of the functionality of the Hammer in this regard. It's missing the "self test".

The climate control interface is pretty cool too. If there's interest, I can do some posts and demos. Let me know.

I'll test out the ABD brake bleed procedure here in a month or so before / after my (first!) DE. That's the unique feature that led me to this device in the first place.

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Several "Thumbs Up reports" from 928 GT & 993 C4S owners in Germany whom are long time owners of the UDT999 software.

Neglecting the 993's ABS pump unit could prove costly ..... fellow Rennlist'rs recount a similar gruesome $$$$ story... "I started the coupe one morning ... and the pedal went to the floor"

I went old sckool having recently (Monday) bought the Bosch Hammer.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:12 PM
nine9six
Banned

Unsure what "Power T15" is.
Could this be reporting power to a specific relay?

In reading the rest of the comments here, it would seem one needs both a Durametrics, and the UDT999 tool; or just one Hammer or PST-2.

The entrance fee for used Hammer or PST-2, far outweighs the fees for the Durametrics, and the UDT999 tool.

However I do kinda like the idea of one stop shopping...

I'll test out the ABD brake bleed procedure here in a month or so before / after my (first!) DE. That's the unique feature that led me to this device in the first place.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:31 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Could this be reporting power to a specific relay?
I should have read the WSM before posting. It is relatively detailed in this section.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:51 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

I committed to follow up regarding the ABD brake bleed function of the UDT999 on a vacuum assist LSD/ABD car.

Followed the WSM procedure almost, and I think it worked. It definitely made a lot of noise and really moved the fluid through the system. Since I don't have a Hammer or PST2, I can't compare it to the behavior of those systems.

I bled the brakes with a Motive power bleeder as usual. Then:

0) Connect UDT999, turn on car (not started), connect to ABS computer in software
1) Pressurize to 21 PSI
2) Open right rear caliper bleed screw
3) Click button to start bleed procedure
4) Loud buzzing noise and fluid flow rate probably doubled
5) Ran about 1/2 liter through the caliper (no idea if this is enough)
6) Closed the bleed screw (noise gets very loud when closed)
7) Very quickly clicked the stop button
8) Done

Note that the WSM says this is only necessary if you swap out some parts and introduce a lot of air into the system. It also says to pump the brake during this process. I didn't want to risk sucking in air through the caliper, so I decided not to pump the brake. As mentioned above, the fluid was moving relatively fast though the system as is.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:42 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I committed to follow up regarding the ABD brake bleed function of the UDT999 on a vacuum assist LSD/ABD car.

Followed the WSM procedure almost, and I think it worked. It definitely made a lot of noise and really moved the fluid through the system. Since I don't have a Hammer or PST2, I can't compare it to the behavior of those systems.

0) Connect UDT999, turn on car (not started), connect to ABS computer in software
1) Pressurize to 21 PSI
8) Done

Note that the WSM says this is only necessary if you swap out some parts and introduce a lot of air into the system. It also says to pump the brake during this process. I didn't want to risk sucking in air through the caliper, so I decided not to pump the brake. As mentioned above, the fluid was moving relatively fast though the system as is.

Same experience for me. I think the tool is a very good value. I have two 993s and had issues to connect to one. The seller asked me for a couple of log files and it took one or two software changes to make it work. It now runs flawlessly on Win 10
Old 11-14-2015, 07:56 PM
nine9six
Banned

1) Pressurize to 21 PSI
8) Done

mpruden,

Thanks so much for the follow up on the ABD pump bleed procedure and results.

Did you happen to notice a dirty discoloration of the brake fluid, as one might expect from purging the old fluid in the ABD pump?

FWIW, I would probably run the ABD pump bleed, both before and after refreshing my brake fluid.

My thoughts are the existing brake fluid in the system (if changed every other year) is much cleaner than what is in the ABD system; which has probably not been bled for some time. This might mitigate the amount of contamination released into a fresh brake bleed...
Old 11-14-2015, 08:06 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

mpruden,

Thanks so much for the follow up on the ABD pump bleed procedure and results.

Did you happen to notice a dirty discoloration of the brake fluid, as one might expect from purging the old fluid in the ABD pump?

FWIW, I would probably run the ABD pump bleed, both before and after refreshing my brake fluid.

My thoughts are the existing brake fluid in the system (if changed every other year) is much cleaner than what is in the ABD system; which has probably not been bled for some time. This might mitigate the amount of contamination released into a fresh brake bleed...
No discoloration that I could see from the ABD flush and my catch bottle is pretty clear. It looked like new fluid. It was flushed at a shop with a Hammer just 2 years ago. Maybe that contributed to the fresh looking fluid.

Quick Reply: Bosch Hammer Alternative - PDT999?