Sponsored by:

First oil change on my new 993

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003 | 12:31 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default First oil change on my new 993

Ok everybody. Who knows what story I will have to tell after changing the oil on my 993 this weekend. Hopefully I will not remove the wrong thing-I believe relief valves have been mentioned. I guess if I see a spring fly across the room, that might be an indication that something is amiss.

But my question is jacking up the car by the engine. I've seen the p-car pictures and narrative. I really do trust this completely-I think. BUT I was just wondering how many of you actually use this technique to raise the rear of the car? Any problems experienced.? I realize I can get my car off the ground without using the under the motor process. But I do have a reason for asking.

This Polar Silver/Black Aerokit C2 that I bought less than two months ago is the most exciting and fun automobile I've ever owned. Unbelievable. I'm sure a thoughts of a TT will keep me up at nights next.

Hopefully, Sunday will go as it should (oil change).

Thanks everybody. Hope your weekends are good.
Old 08-16-2003 | 12:37 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Good Luck. Where are you located??
Old 08-16-2003 | 01:03 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bob. I'm in Germantown, TN-just outside Memphis.

I'd rather be in California....

Chuck

96 993 18k miles
96 M3 23k miles
89 Landcruiser 126000 miles
Old 08-16-2003 | 01:25 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

It's worked for me so far... Make sure you have a hockey puck ( a la Ray Calvo ) or a small block of wood under the crankcase.

Good luck on your oil change!
Old 08-17-2003 | 09:08 AM
Memphomaniac
AutoX

Hey, you live near me. I am in Memphis, off of Stout road. I just changed oil thursday morning myself. What a pain in the a**. Let me know if you need any help with anything. I am the DE chairperson in our local club. Hope you will be doing our DE in November. Email me at gpfeltus@fedex.com.
Old 08-17-2003 | 11:26 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

I use it (with the puck).
Old 08-17-2003 | 02:31 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Default Re: First oil change on my new 993

Originally posted by csertich
But my question is jacking up the car by the engine. I've seen the p-car pictures and narrative. I really do trust this completely-I think. BUT I was just wondering how many of you actually use this technique to raise the rear of the car? Any problems experienced.? I realize I can get my car off the ground without using the under the motor process. But I do have a reason for asking....
You may want to think about getting the Autometrics towhook/jack point (see the recent post "Autometrics tow hook and 95 MY" for a pic)...makes using a floorjack easy.
Old 08-17-2003 | 09:50 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies and information. I was a little under the weather today and didn't get to the oil change. Guess that'll be next weekend's project.

My wife was going to Walmart yesterday and I asked her to buy me a hockey puck. She asked me 'what for?' I said 'for my car, what else?' She roller her eyes and walked out the door. But she bought it.

Thanks again everybody. This sure is a great forum.

chuck
Old 08-17-2003 | 11:09 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did my first oil change a few weeks ago and it was no problem. I had a lift for the job, but it's still pretty straightforward. I have a super oil filter wrench, which auto-adjusts to any size - about $10 at any auto parts shop.
Old 08-18-2003 | 03:10 AM
rkymtn993
Addict
Rennlist Member

How much does the floor jack cost?
Old 08-18-2003 | 05:40 AM
Mark97c2
Intermediate

I've been using the crankcase for a long time, and I havn't had any problems so far.

But when my friend and myself were changing the shocks last week, he didn't like the idea because he thinks it puts stress on the motor mounts...but other than that, he doesn't see any other problems.

Actually, when we needed the car up higher, we used the square'ish bar that came across from one wheel to the other. Using the bar won't do any damage but it's hard to get to which is why most people use the crankcase.
Old 08-18-2003 | 10:33 AM
993Widebody
Racer

I believe you must use the crank case to jack up the car on four jack stands. There is no other way unless you want to use a suspension part that is not meant to be used to jack up the car.

This is because when using the rear jacking points to jack up the car, there is no place to put the jack stand (again, uless you want to take chances with a suspension point) while the jack is in the way, thus you must use the crank case.

I do not use a hockey puck and in fact, if your car is lowered, you may not be able to unless you cut the puck in half or so - there is just not that much room between the jack and crank unless you slightly jack up one of the other rear jack points while getting your main jack under the crank case. Of course, this implies using two jacks or putting a block of wood under one of the tires.

I use the AC jack with built in rubber pad, this works well. Ideally, you should get the jack point (Autometrics) as mentioned above as you won't feel so guilty or worried jacking up the car by the engine.

Good Luck.
Old 08-19-2003 | 10:47 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

A small piece of advice when using a hockey puck and floor jack - I have a Sears 3 Ton "standard" floor jack, and I removed the metallic cup at the jack point to clear the crankcase and to jack up the crankcase with a flatter surface (metallic cup removed). This works very well, but to improve protection to the crankcase, I place a hockey puck between the floor jack and crank case. What happened once is the hockey puck "slipped"out and the car shifted

Word of advice, make sure puck is secure between jack and case so it doesn't slip out like a wet bar of soap, or don't use it at all!!
Old 08-19-2003 | 11:02 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Originally posted by oleg steciw
What happened once is the hockey puck "slipped"out and the car shifted
Great advice... I went to Home Depot and found a 3/8" concrete anchor. This is just a piece of metal with a 3/8" outside diameter, about 2 inches tall. I drilled a hole in my hockey puck and hammered it in. The protruding shaft keeps it on the jack. Simple $2.00 solution.

I actually have some leftovers if anybody wants them ( both the hockey puck and concrete anchor setup.. )

Quick Reply: First oil change on my new 993