Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 exhaust on fire

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 02:00 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info to know Steve. I must say, I quite like the theatrical drama of a bit of smoke pouring out from under the wheel wells when I'm idling at a light :-)
Old 09-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Synapse120
Track Day

Jim at hendrick Porsche was able to isolate the problem to being the ECU by running the connector for injector 5 on the 6th cylinder injector and verifying proper operation of the injector.

So it is safe to say that this is a bad DME causing the injector in cylinder 6 to continuously pump gas into the cylinder when the car is on.

It is surprising that the DME went bad from the car sitting, but low voltage to the DME (due to the weak battery) could account for computer issues.

I'm sending the DME to 911chips.com for repair, if anyone has experience with them good or bad I would like to hear about it.

Last edited by Synapse120; 09-21-2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Error in description
Old 09-21-2014, 05:32 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 697 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Synapse120
So it is safe to say that this is a bad DME causing the injector in cylinder 6 to continuously pump oil into the cylinder when the car is on.
If I remember, the injectors get 12V power all the time and the Motronic "sinks" the individual injector conductor to turn the injector on.

A simple component replacement I would think or maybe a bad solder joint. It should not cost much.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Davies
Good info to know Steve. I must say, I quite like the theatrical drama of a bit of smoke pouring out from under the wheel wells when I'm idling at a light :-)
HA,...I do like white smoke boiling off the tires when I step on the throttle, but that's a totally different experience.

The blue stuff, not so much.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:01 AM
Ewok
Advanced

The problem with these older Porsches is that when they catch fire, it seems wrong to put the fire out with water.

Always keep a small fire extinguisher in the car (tied down / mounted). Expecially in a car like a 993 that can't just be replaced!
Old 09-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Synapse120
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ewok
The problem with these older Porsches is that when they catch fire, it seems wrong to put the fire out with water.

Always keep a small fire extinguisher in the car (tied down / mounted). Expecially in a car like a 993 that can't just be replaced!
I didn't put the fire out with water, i used my hands and the smother technique (I know that is stupid, but in the heat of the moment with no water or fire extinguisher it was the only thing i could think to do).

A fire extinguisher has been purchased for the car (lesson learned).
Old 09-22-2014, 05:13 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

The car wouldn't start, so i clutch started it since i happened to be on a hill.
rtuing

Clutch starting cars in the old days always shot a lot of unburnt fuel into the exhaust system. Not sure about what happens with electronic fuel injection.
Andy
Old 09-26-2014, 09:44 AM
deactivateduser66
Rennlist Member

Afterall, so is it a good idea to keep an extra DME relay by the glove box after long periods of storage?

http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/99...Relay_DME.html

A question though, why have you send your DME for a fixup instead of getting a spare and simply replacing it? In summary, was the whole ordeal based on a bad DME relay because of storage?

Hope everythings tiptop on you side!

-

Jim at hendrick Porsche was able to isolate the problem to being the ECU by running the connector for injector 5 on the 6th cylinder injector and verifying proper operation of the injector.

So it is safe to say that this is a bad DME causing the injector in cylinder 6 to continuously pump gas into the cylinder when the car is on.

It is surprising that the DME went bad from the car sitting, but low voltage to the DME (due to the weak battery) could account for computer issues.

I'm sending the DME to 911chips.com for repair, if anyone has experience with them good or bad I would like to hear about it.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:59 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by eatbreathedrive
Afterall, so is it a good idea to keep an extra DME relay by the glove box after long periods of storage?

A question though, why have you send your DME for a fixup instead of getting a spare and simply replacing it? In summary, was the whole ordeal based on a bad DME relay because of storage?

Hope everythings tiptop on you side!

-
A spare DME relay is about $40. A spare DME is a couple thousand bucks.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:14 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

I would still not be 100% certain that it is the ECU. The injectors are all wired with switched 12v and are earthed through the ECU controller. A wire break or short to ground in the engine wiring harness could cause the injector to fire continuously once the 12v feed switches live. Ask them to run a new wire from the injector wire at the ecu and a 12v supply to a noid light, if the light stays on then yes, 100%, you need a new ECU or ECU repair.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:34 PM
deactivateduser66
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NineMeister
I would still not be 100% certain that it is the ECU. The injectors are all wired with switched 12v and are earthed through the ECU controller. A wire break or short to ground in the engine wiring harness could cause the injector to fire continuously once the 12v feed switches live. Ask them to run a new wire from the injector wire at the ecu and a 12v supply to a noid light, if the light stays on then yes, 100%, you need a new ECU or ECU repair.
That is some awesome information, thank you!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:35 PM
deactivateduser66
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNS
A spare DME relay is about $40. A spare DME is a couple thousand bucks.
Yep, that's why I thought, thanks for clearing it up.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Synapse120
Track Day

I got the car back on Tuesday after getting the ECU repaired, spark plugs changed, O2 sensor replaced and an oil change and its running perfect.

Now i just need to remove and repair the bumper and the car will be in a good place.

Thanks to everyone that provided their technical expertise, i really appreciate it.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:43 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Very unlikely it is the DME computer. Dealers do not know how to service much less diagnose a 993s as they haven't sold on of these in 17 years or serviced one under warrenty in many years. Get the car to a good independent who works on older Porsche regularly. Seems from the thread you have not found the root cause. Injectors can stick open but I believe your problem is likely much simpler than you think. Lots of conjecture here, you need facts. Find someone who can get some.

Quick Reply: 993 exhaust on fire