Sponsored by:

immobilizer broken

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 03:06 AM
larbaby2th
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post immobilizer broken

guys, sorry for the double post. My doohickey button on the key still lights up but will not lock the doors nor deactivate the immobilizer. I read the owners manual, but the instructions are mind boggling. Any ideas. Thank You Larry 98 C2S
Old 10-10-2002, 08:47 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts
larbaby2th:

First thing to do is change the immobilizer battery and try it again.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to try and re-program the remote. The procedure is a major PITA. If you email your fax #, I can send you the procedure that I wrote out, compiled from the owners manual and service manual. Plan on an hour or two, lock yourself in the garage and do it when no one is home.

Don't know why, though, the code would "go away" all of a sudden. Maybe someone else has insight on this.

Mike Cap
1997 C2
Arena Red
Old 10-10-2002, 11:50 AM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Larry

Change the battery in the key fob as suggested. Make sure the little diode on the fob lights as you press the button. If that ain't it put the key in the ignition turn key to notch #2 (i think??)so you get all the idiot lights illuminated. Look @ the clock @ about 4 o'clock and check out the immobolizer light. If the system is ok the light will be on. then you will need to re-enter your key code. If the light doesn't come on you may be faced w/ a much worse fate....
My system went down 2 weeks ago. Imobolizer light on dash was out. My problem was I had a leak in the rear window which flooded the rear passenger footwell and apparently got under the front passenger seat and toasted both the alarm control unit and Immobilizer Central unit. $500 parts. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:30 AM
DReuther
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Hi Larry,

Picture this: 8:37 PM, Portland, OR. A nicely dressed couple emerges from a fine restaurant and approaches their 993 C4. He is feeling a bit nervous because prior to dinner he had locked the car with the KEY. The remote had not worked and they were hungry and thought they would take care of this little situation later. Remote still does not work. Go figure. He opens the door with the KEY. YIKES!

Alarm goes off, people stare at the nicely dressed copuple and their car and yelling starts to break out. The alarm seems to go on forever. No idea what to do. By divine intervention the door unlocks and the alarm stops. End of story? Not so easy my friend.

After reading on Rennlist how important it is to have extra batteries for the remote, he actually had some in the car. The next biggest challenge was getting the remote open to install the new battery. Long story short. 9:43 PM, same night: they did it. Car starts. No alarm. She is afraid of driving it ever again.

Happy ending? They are not sure. But there are spare batteries in every corner of their world.

Couple from Oregon.

Quick Reply: immobilizer broken