Sponsored by:

Brand new NLA Carrera 4S SS Door Sills on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 05:40 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brand new NLA Carrera 4S SS Door Sills on Ebay

A little correction to the original posting.

Originally posted by SKM
This could be one of the last new sets available in the country (except the the next pair that I sell which will be even rarer). I know when I bought a bunch of sets for my C4S a few years ago, I called over 50 dealers to find them and was told at the time that the pairs I bought might were the last sets Porsche had in the distribution system. Porsche part number 993-551-980-05. These sills look great with the aluminum gauge dials, shift **** and brake lever handle.
OK, letting people know that you are selling a rare item - OK If sold at the initial price for the other undisclosed set (as it was no reserve this should be minimum price you will accept, correct?) to Rennlist members - OK. The inital post REALLY bothers me. Be honest, and tell the truth or go away.

Pretty simple.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:00 AM
Sachin
AutoX

Smile

Hello fellow Rennlisters!

I apologize about my long absence. Couple of computer crashes, different ISPs, different email....yada, yada, yada.

Anyway, I'm the lucky (or unlucky?) winner of the C4S sills. You know PT Barnum used to say there's a sucker born every minute, however I knew that I was paying an arm and a leg for this item. I just wanted it really really bad. (Anyway it's nothing compared to what I've just sunk into my Audio/Nav system, pics in a couple of days)

I've tried calling aprox 20 dealers over the last year, and they have all given me the same answer "Superceded by the plain Carrera door sill."

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to gotten these for $299 or even $349. But everytime a fellow Rennlister offers something up it's gone within minutes. IMHO eBay works, because it's based on precieved value. You might think it's only worth $359 but to somebody else it might be worth $565 (what i paid for it). Capitalism at it's finest. Supply & Demand.

The question now is whether I should install them or just frame them!

Old 08-28-2003, 03:36 AM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you get "both" sets, or just the "last new set in the world". Noone has been critical of your purchase you paid what you wanted to pay and got them. The controversy began when the seller's started e-mailing around to some of the other bidders, saying, "As luck would have it I just happen to have another set of these C4S sills". Do you want to buy them at a lower price than Sachin paid on EBay? Feel better about the seller now?
Old 08-28-2003, 06:46 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta agree w/ Jim...if you are bidding on ebay you are supposed to be happy/relieved that you won; the way this seller conducted himself a bidder was actualy better off coming in 2nd...that just isn't right.

That is the crux of the issue.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:47 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thought this is a forum where we help each other, not increase our net worth. Mike W
Old 08-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Sachin
AutoX

Originally posted by Jim
Did you get "both" sets, or just the "last new set in the world". Noone has been critical of your purchase you paid what you wanted to pay and got them. The controversy began when the seller's started e-mailing around to some of the other bidders, saying, "As luck would have it I just happen to have another set of these C4S sills". Do you want to buy them at a lower price than Sachin paid on EBay? Feel better about the seller now?
I just got 1 set for my car. I'm not the "Middleman" type. If your quote is accurate then that's a very shady thing to do.

I'm a little upset right now anyway. I got the sills, and they are the genuine article. However they have been sitting for so long with the protective plastic over them that it has goo and residue marks all over it, that I'll have to clean for an hour. Not what you should have to so if you paid $565.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:44 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

try using 3M adhesive remover...this stuff is safe for paint and is what you will need to use to remove the double sided tape under your black plastic sills. should take less than 5 minutes.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:01 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 830 Likes on 512 Posts

or try Wurth Citrus degreaser.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:37 PM
Sachin
AutoX

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
Sachin - You will need the 3M adhesive remover anyway when removing your old sill plates. Check Robin's site for the DIY.

BTW - How come the new account? I know this isn't your 2nd Rennlist post...
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm assuming I can get the 3M stuff at my local auto store ?

As far as the new acct. I was overseas for a while. Came back and my ISP had changed (AT&T to Comcast), computer crashed twice-hence new PC (iMac this time), had to change my email (because of the ISP change) and to top it off I forgot my password for my original login. Tried to retrieve my password, but my old email was registered so I couldnt get to it.

I was dying to post so I just created a new profile. (Hope thats OK with the Rennlist gods).

I'm waiting to hear from Jen on how to re-activate my old acct.

Feels good to be back.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:54 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Available at Pep Boys and Home Depot.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Sachin
AutoX

Originally posted by David in LA
Available at Pep Boys and Home Depot.
Thanks David !
Old 08-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At least they are genuine. The thought crossed my mind that they might not be - which in turn leads me to wonder why an enterprising after-market organization hasn't created a copy?
Old 08-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Sachin
AutoX

Originally posted by Ruairidh
At least they are genuine. The thought crossed my mind that they might not be - which in turn leads me to wonder why an enterprising after-market organization hasn't created a copy?
Just found this out today. One of Rennlist's sponsors from Germany can build sills with custom lettering & logos for a reasonable cost (much less than what I paid for the OEMS). I assuming Carrera 4S would be doable.

https://rennlist.com/spnsrs/Tacho_Performance2.html
Old 08-28-2003, 04:20 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

heh heh....I have a set on my cab that has the "PORSCHE" logo...of course these were acquired before Porsche clamped down on copyright violators...
Old 08-28-2003, 04:21 PM
nman413
Drifting

How about a set that says

"HWFM Racing"

Quick Reply: Brand new NLA Carrera 4S SS Door Sills on Ebay