Sponsored by:

Kinematic toe adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:50 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Kinematic toe adjustment

With all new rear adjustable control arms, can the kinematic toe be done without the motorsports tool that hangs on the calipers? Had one attempt at an alignment and I'm sure they didn't get it. I'm a ways away from the shops that have expertise with 993's and trying to develope options.
Thanks in advance for any help
Richard
Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

You need that factory (or the Autometric version) tool to accurately measure KT.

No other way to get this right without protractors and the ability to calibrate them.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:40 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too am in the same position (Porsche hell with no one around for hours worth a damn!). Kin is "bump steer", work the rear suspension while aligning and look for positive (or negative) toe while under load. It can be done, and may not be absolutely perfect, but..........
I tracked my 993 like that and did just fine. The guy that did my alignment is no where to be found these days so I can't answer what exactly he did......
Old 08-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

There are people in SoCal who do this without the tool, but they are experienced and know what they are doing.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:23 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
I'm a ways away from the shops that have expertise with 993's and trying to develope options.
Thanks in advance for any help
Richard
Where in Central Ca are you located? There are several great shops near SJ.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Modesto area. I would need to be at the shop first thing and wait for the work to be done. So gotta find someone skilled, accommodating and cheap :-)
Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 402 Posts

So gotta find someone skilled, accommodating and cheap :-)
Pick two of those, getting all three might be tough.

Dave Graff at Borelli Motor Sports in San Jose is great and they are pretty accommodating. I think I paid around $300 which is about the going rate in the bay area.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:06 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Thanks P, I knew I was wishing for too much there :-)
Old 08-12-2014, 12:27 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So gotta find someone skilled, accommodating and cheap :-)
We've all left the business, since we can make real money doing something else. With 5% of the headache............
Old 08-12-2014, 02:18 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
I too am in the same position (Porsche hell with no one around for hours worth a damn!). Kin is "bump steer", work the rear suspension while aligning and look for positive (or negative) toe while under load. It can be done, and may not be absolutely perfect, but..........
I tracked my 993 like that and did just fine. The guy that did my alignment is no where to be found these days so I can't answer what exactly he did......
Go see Gordon @ Autometrics in Charleston and he can do a very good alignment on 993's.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Ponchobroke
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Is this adjustment independent of toe and camber or do they all change when an adjustment is made?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:46 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had all monoballs in the rear (e.g. no kinematic effect due to no deflecting rubber), than would you still need to set K-toe using the tool? Why could you not just set a reasonable caster value using a laser alignment machine? Does the multilink suspension travel under load in such a way that static caster is not a good indicator of the dynamic behavior of the suspension?

If not, why not just use the tool a single time and note what the actual caster value is when using the tool to set the proper measurment, and then any time you have to do an alignment, just use your previously noted caster value and you'll never need the tool again.

Does this sound crazy? Just food for though
Old 08-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponchobroke
Is this adjustment independent of toe and camber or do they all change when an adjustment is made?
They all affect each other
You go in order
1) ride height & corner balance all around
2)Rear axle first a) toe link 2 eccentric A b)camber link3 eccentric B 3)Kinematic bump toe link 4 eccentric C
3) front axle toe, camber , caster

for track use I'd recommend using turnbuckle links rather that the eccentrics
Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
If you had all monoballs in the rear (e.g. no kinematic effect due to no deflecting rubber), than would you still need to set K-toe using the tool? Why could you not just set a reasonable caster value using a laser alignment machine? Does the multilink suspension travel under load in such a way that static caster is not a good indicator of the dynamic behavior of the suspension?

If not, why not just use the tool a single time and note what the actual caster value is when using the tool to set the proper measurment, and then any time you have to do an alignment, just use your previously noted caster value and you'll never need the tool again.

You still set rear caster to +3° 00' to +3° 30' rear, whenever an link is adjusted it changes the others
Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jstyer

The main reason I have to get it done is because I replaced the 3 arms on each side with adj. arms. So I am starting from scratch for the most part. There is still a small amount of rubber (inner joints of lower control arm). Once I get it setcorrectly I should not need to do it again (hopefully).

Quick Reply: Kinematic toe adjustment