Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advise/guidance

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:01 PM
dboeren
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you buy a 993, you'll be able to easily trade it for a 997 later if that is your wish. The 997 is depreciating, the 993 is holding or appreciating.

Personally, I went with the 993 because I wanted to experience a more classic Porsche. As the old Coke commercials said, "There ain't nothin' like the real thing baby". The 993 gives you a personal connection with the car that isn't there in the same way with the newer models.

Also, all the power is usable. Yeah, sure it's great if a newer Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari, or whatever has 450+ HP. But it doesn't really matter because you can't actually take advantage of it other than in very rare situations. You end up having to drive the car gingerly so as not to overdo it and end up in a dangerous situation. You can't just stomp on the gas. In a 993, you can. You can push, you can immerse yourself in exploring the car's limits, because they aren't so far off the charts that you'll get into trouble by doing so. I'd rather be able to drive any way I want than feel like I have to stay at the kiddie end of the pool in a overpowered car.

It may not matter to everyone, but I also really like owning and caring for an older classic car. Everyone I meet who asks about it is shocked to find out that it's 20 years old. There's also a sort of appreciation from other car fans that isn't there with a brand new expensive sports car.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:27 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by dboeren
Also, all the power is usable. Yeah, sure it's great if a newer Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari, or whatever has 450+ HP. But it doesn't really matter because you can't actually take advantage of it other than in very rare situations. You end up having to drive the car gingerly so as not to overdo it and end up in a dangerous situation. You can't just stomp on the gas. In a 993, you can. You can push, you can immerse yourself in exploring the car's limits, because they aren't so far off the charts that you'll get into trouble by doing so. I'd rather be able to drive any way I want than feel like I have to stay at the kiddie end of the pool in a overpowered car.
Like the old saying goes, it's much more fun to drive a slower car fast, than a faster car slow.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:20 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Going for a Turbo will increase your cost of ownership considerably.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I am not sure so about that - other than perhaps fuel consumption (which also gives the corresponding fun factor increase!), they are pretty solid, and NO IMS issues with the right car. That alone can offset any sort of increases.

I think the history, PO skills, and maintenance plays a bigger factor in the costs going forward.

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-08-2014, 07:28 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Go with the 993 if only because next year if you change your mind, it will be much cheaper to switch. 997.1 TT price bottom is probably close to where the 996TT is now although maybe a bit higher since no one ever really like the 996 headlights. 993's are on the rise.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:04 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I don't see how that's the case.

Originally Posted by destaccado
Go with the 993 if only because next year if you change your mind, it will be much cheaper to switch. 997.1 TT price bottom is probably close to where the 996TT is now although maybe a bit higher since no one ever really like the 996 headlights. 993's are on the rise.
Only if 996TT prices fall in the $20K range. A couple of years ago you could find good 996TTs in the upper 30s, low 40s. They've crept up in the past year. I can see a 997TT being a good 15-20K more than a comparable 996TT once the 997TTs are done depreciating.

Another thing to consider is the 991TT price and lack of a manual transmission. That helps 997TT values.

But this is all an exercise in futility. OP, go drive both and you'll know which is the right car for YOU.

Quick Reply: advise/guidance