Distributor Belt Replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 10:27 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,047 Posts
Default Distributor Belt Replacement question

My car is at a point that preventative maintenance suggest I replace the distributor belt. When ever I have this discussion with a mechanic he wants to swap my distributor out with a rebuilt one. Is there somewhere I can send my distributor to have a belt installed and the condition of it inspected? I rather use my own core as I feel swapping out with something rebuilt from a core of unknown origin could result in a replacement with a shorter service life.
Andy
Old 07-18-2014, 11:23 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve Weiner at Rennsport. He even has the OEM bearing, or at least he used to. He is a frequent poster on these forums.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:27 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

OR find some local guys that have done it and do it together OR get your mechanic to read the instructions and rebuilt it.

Most instructions require you to split the top/bottom by taking out the secondary shaft, you do not need to do that, just split the sides with the secondary shaft in place, and you can get the belt in and out.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Mike,

The only problem with that technique is that without complete disassembly, you cannot check all four bearings in there. Given the age/miles on these cars, my experience has shown me that is is a critical part of a proper rebuild.

Quick Reply: Distributor Belt Replacement question