Sponsored by:

Targa help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:55 PM
euge
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Targa help

I just recently got 1996 Targa. The car is absolutely great, but there is dreaded wind noise. I talked to one reputable independent shop and they refused to help sending me straight to the dealer. Dealer did not sound promising either, but at least agreed to take a look and see if something can be done in terms of adjustments.

Is there Targa roof expert in PNW?

Also i've been told that parts are no longer available. What do people do in the situations like this? Is there an aftermarket alternative?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Probably just a series of adjustments. Can you explain the noise in more detail? Where is it coming from, when does it occur, etc.

Also, I'm not aware of parts being NLA. What parts are you referring to?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:20 PM
euge
Rennlist Member

The noise is coming from the passenger side. The whole passenger side glass roof (not the deflector) seem to be about 1/4 of an inch lower than then the drive side.

I've been told, that there were specific repair kits for the roofs that Porsche is no longer providing. The car is at the shop now, so if any specific parts needed I would know tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:49 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Does the rest of the roof operate correctly? Based on what you are describing, it would first try to adjust things before replacing any parts.

While there are many on RL that are more experienced than me on this topic, this may be a 15 minute repair. It certainly was in my case. When adjusted correctly, the Targa is very quiet. Based on my experience...

The glass roof attaches to the car with mounts in four places, roughly at each corner. The mounts are adjustable, to fine tune the level of the roof and the pressure on the seals.

There is one bolt in each of the front mounts, and two bolts in each of the rear mounts. It's likely that the passenger side front mount is loose, and the roof has dropped enough for some wind noise. No big deal. Just loosen the bolt, push up on the roof and re-tighten.

The devil is in the details. Going from memory....if you extend (roll out) the sun blind roughly half way, the sun blind track will raise a bit exposing the front mounting bolts. Mine are small 3-5mm hex bolts, if memory serves me correct. You can use a long allen socket to access the bolts. Loosen them, push up on the roof, and re-tighten. It's not rocket science, just don't over-tighten the bolts. The wind deflector should be a bit proud of the roof when adjusted perfectly, but not 1/4" proud.

For the gory details, check out the TSBs and Targa articles on pcarworkshop.com. This is such a common scenario that there is a TSB on checking the tightness of these bolts every time a car is in for service.

By the way... welcome to rennlist and where are the pics of this new Targa???

Last edited by mpruden; 07-16-2014 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Request for pics from new member
Old 07-16-2014, 11:13 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 264 Posts

Some good advice by mpruden.

1st - pcarworkshop and download the TSB's with pictures and a whole list of "if this" then "that".

2nd - DO NOT lube your targa roof, and if you decide the touch the bolts get a torque wrench.

3rd - post some pictures of the car

4th - Check to make sure one of those support mounts isn't broken.

5th - consider investing in some gummi-pflege to lube your seals. healthy seals = no wind noise.

Alternative option (6th - Upgrade your exhaust....)

Good luck - targas are special.

/
Old 07-17-2014, 12:25 AM
euge
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, i've been reading quite a bit about the roofs lately, and do think that it's a matter of adjustment. I was surprised both, the independent shop and the dealer did not express huge desire to work on the roof...

I liked the option 6! (but it's loud enough for me already)

The roof does work and doesn't get stuck, just making noise while being open/closed and at speed.

I will post some pics soon
Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 PM
euge
Rennlist Member

Good news. Porsche dealer managed to adjust it, but there is one part broken. It's the plastic guide for the shade. Do you guys know if it can be replaced without full roof removal like the Porsche dealer told me?
Old 07-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I hope roof removal is not required to replace plastic guide for sun shade, someone please say it ain't so.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Curious to know the answer here too, my sun shade just encountered it's first ever issue this last week and it's a bitch to work on as the glass has to be retracted, which means the shade must be fully retracted as well.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:01 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

the roof does not have to be removed to replace the plastic guide....Marc, RL name mgianzero is a guru on the Targa roof/shade as well as a few others....mite wanna pm him or just do a search...
Old 07-18-2014, 09:55 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

While I haven't had to replace any sun blind bits yet, it looks like you can get to quite a bit of the parts/clips by removing just the wind deflector.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search is your friend.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ems-fixed.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...questions.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...rga-shade.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...de-spring.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-question.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...993-targa.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...need-help.html
Old 07-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more , with some useful photos

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-disaster.html
Old 07-18-2014, 05:15 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

come up to MikeJ's BBQ he is a targa guru...

Oh and i have a targa And im in the PNW as well..
Old 07-18-2014, 05:27 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Absolutely, you can certainly remove the targa shade track without removing the glass. Is there any way you can tell me the part (or photograph it) for me to see? There are several shade parts in there that you could be referring to. I'll see if I can locate some video / or pics to assist.

You probably need to take it apart to be certain which parts may have been broken (or bent). Once we figure out the parts you need, we can walk you thru the steps to replace. There's also a few "while you're in there" parts that are good to replace and not too expensive.

Just so you know, often times there are metal parts that bend over time and end up breaking the plastic parts, especially the plastic shade track I believe you are referring to. Sorry I am not more help at this time, but I don't have access the the PET or my references at this time.

PM if you want to talk more about it.

Marc Gianzero

Last edited by mgianzero; 07-18-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Targa help