Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilovers... KW V1 vs. H&R Street Perf.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had an H&R Street Performance kit installed on my 993. Give me the weekend for some spirited canyon carving, and I'll get back to you all on this.

One caveat that I must add is that a lot of suspension bits were recently changed on my car so I cannot credit the full improvement in handling to the struts.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:58 PM
Kacey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
I just had an H&R Street Performance kit installed on my 993. Give me the weekend for some spirited canyon carving, and I'll get back to you all on this.

One caveat that I must add is that a lot of suspension bits were recently changed on my car so I cannot credit the full improvement in handling to the struts.
So...how does she go?
Old 07-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Well I put my 993 to the test over the weekend. I drove over some of San Francisco's finest streets in good to VERY bad condition, several freeways in both good and bad condition, and several back road canyon drives. Other than the occasional clunk when the rear suspension shifts weight across the axle (because the mechanic bipassed the drop links between the swaybar and the rear struts), I am very happy with this setup.

My car, running at RS+10 ride height, feels solid and planted. I am experiencing no noticeable bump steer. Its also sitting high enough still that only the steepest changes in pavement elevation cause the exhaust tips or front nose to scuff. The struts feel firm and sporty. I definitely felt the changes in pavement conditions, but there were no painfully firm jolts when I hit the occasional, unavoidable pothole while plowing down San Francisco's hilly streets.

Keep in mind I had Elephant sport bushings, camber plates, new OEM rear rubber strut hats, and RS engine mounts installed at the same time the H&R Street Performance kit was installed. Overall I am noticing more road noise, but I suspect this is due to the engine mounts and camber plates, not the strut kit. Other than still being in shock from the overall repair bill, I am very pleased with the new feel of my 993. It does almost feel like a new car (aside from the non-operational stereo and half-functional climate control).

In summary, I find the H&R Street Performance suspension kit to be a great option for refreshing a 993's suspension. I hope this helps your decision process.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Kacey
Instructor

Well I put my 993 to the test over the weekend. I drove over some of San Francisco's finest streets in good to VERY bad condition, several freeways in both good and bad condition, and several back road canyon drives. Other than the occasional clunk when the rear suspension shifts weight across the axle (because the mechanic bipassed the drop links between the swaybar and the rear struts), I am very happy with this setup.

My car, running at RS+10 ride height, feels solid and planted. I am experiencing no noticeable bump steer. Its also sitting high enough still that only the steepest changes in pavement elevation cause the exhaust tips or front nose to scuff. The struts feel firm and sporty. I definitely felt the changes in pavement conditions, but there were no painfully firm jolts when I hit the occasional, unavoidable pothole while plowing down San Francisco's hilly streets.

Keep in mind I had Elephant sport bushings, camber plates, new OEM rear rubber strut hats, and RS engine mounts installed at the same time the H&R Street Performance kit was installed. Overall I am noticing more road noise, but I suspect this is due to the engine mounts and camber plates, not the strut kit. Other than still being in shock from the overall repair bill, I am very pleased with the new feel of my 993. It does almost feel like a new car (aside from the non-operational stereo and half-functional climate control).

In summary, I find the H&R Street Performance suspension kit to be a great option for refreshing a 993's suspension. I hope this helps your decision process.
Happy to hear it. Why did the mechanic bypass the drop links?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:20 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts

The Rennlister experience below leaves me cold….I would be put off forever from buying KW shocks/struts…and I was, so I bought MCS suspension from Steve Weiner. Me

Originally Posted by Mike J
I have KW V3's on the Turbo - nice handling shocks but have a what I think is a major flaw in their design - the rear dust covers are made of brittle plastic and they tend to catch on the side of the shock, thus shattering. To replace the cover means removing the shocks and losing your alignment.

I discussed this with KW, they said "Ooops, we had a batch of KW Shocks where we shipped with the wrong ones" - so I said OK, ship me the right ones, and what about the $300 cost for the alignment, nevermind my labour for removing/installing the rear shocks. They would not cover it, citing the legal language in their "warranty".

So the covers show up, and they are identical to the shattered ones - so I get back to them and ask WTF - and their response was basically oh you have the right ones after all, too bad, so sad, they consider what they did a "favor" and I should be happy.

At the time, I stared a thread here on Rennlist and turns out other KW owners have seen this - which when I told KW they ignored.

To add to the insult, they shipped it across the border against my instructions, and I had to cover the $40 broker fee to get two crappy plastic covers which are now sitting in a box in the shop. I am not going to install them, what's the point when the original identical pieces failed?

if I had the choice again, I would go PSS10, which was my initial inclination. I wanted to try the dual valving.. my mistake, not to be repeated again.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kacey
Happy to hear it. Why did the mechanic bypass the drop links?
It's a long story which has yet to be concluded because my 993 is back in the shop to have him replace these missing links that should have stayed in there during the suspension overhaul.

I'm (beyond) starting to question the competency of this mechanic with 993-specific work. He knows the early air-cooled Porsches, but the more complex 993 seems to mystify him at times.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Kacey
Instructor

It's a long story which has yet to be concluded because my 993 is back in the shop to have him replace these missing links that should have stayed in there during the suspension overhaul.

I'm (beyond) starting to question the competency of this mechanic with 993-specific work. He knows the early air-cooled Porsches, but the more complex 993 seems to mystify him at times.
sorry to hear it. I would hate to have to question my mechanic's competency. Is it because the OE links did not work with the H&R coilovers? Or for some other reason? The reason why i ask is because i see that many kits come with new links, but not the H&R kits.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:09 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Hopefully it all works out. If you end up needing to redo anything I would highly suggest FD Motor Sports for suspension work and Borelli Motor Sports in Santa Clara for alignment.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

As described above, the car felt great when flogging it on Lucas Valley Road and Skyline last weekend. I think the alignment was done right. I'll certainly take it to a 993-specific shop when I switch to 18" wheels and/or start taking the car to AX/DE events. That won't be any time soon though.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Kacey
Instructor

I had my H&R coilovers, RS engine mounts and Walrod bushings installed along with a proper alignment with KT adjustment by @gregster and I could not be happier. It feels much more planted and stable. Certainly more twitchy and sensitive but I assume that's how it's supposed to feel, opposed to how floaty and vague it felt before.

The only thing is that since this install, it popped out of gear once in 3rd and once after a rev-matched downshift into second. The clutch engagement feel a little lower too than it did before. Any ideas?

Here are some pics:

Old 08-20-2014, 09:59 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

What a change, the car must be much more precise now.

Where in Montreal can you get an alignment done by someone who knows what KT is? Being as low as you are where they able to get everything into spec?
Old 08-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Looks good! How low did you go?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

tad lower than RS
Old 08-21-2014, 03:53 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Wait a sec, lower than RS or lower than ROW? Bump steer much?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacey
I had my H&R coilovers, RS engine mounts and Walrod bushings installed along with a proper alignment with KT adjustment by @gregster and I could not be happier. It feels much more planted and stable. Certainly more twitchy and sensitive but I assume that's how it's supposed to feel, opposed to how floaty and vague it felt before.

It should not be twitchy and and sensitive, if it is you still have an issue

Quick Reply: Coilovers... KW V1 vs. H&R Street Perf.