Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

FIXED:Just installed fan, alternator, and belts. What's that noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 04:28 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would take your car to a mechanic to have the belts, pulleys, shims, etc, checked. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you don't know what you're doing.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:40 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dmurchison
Well, after a couple days I finished installing a new alternator, and alternator fan.
The instructions from Porsche for installing belts, etc. can be found HERE. You can buy the Gates belt tensioning tool for ~$12USD which is a LOT cheaper than replacing the fan housing or the fan or anything else back there.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:05 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! But everything is good. I measured my belts tension with my kricket belt tool. No noise, at all and sounds great.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:18 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by zenithblue993
SOLUTION: Make sure all 4 nuts are tight equally and remember to put the 4 washers back. Without them, the alternator will move around slightly hitting the housing.

My car is up and running again!

I'm having this experience right now, and I know for a fact I left a washer off.

Second alternator in less than 3 years. I was going to rebuild my old one, but due to zero free time bought a rebuilt Bosch.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:37 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Default Food for thought from a shade tree mechanic.

I have replaced my belts on my 993 and my previous Carrera and never had a problem like this.
If you take the belts off and spin the fan do you hear it scrape the fan shroud?

If not are all the mounting points for the alternator tight?

If you grasp the spindle of the fan with the belts off does it have any lateral play?

Not sure what got you to the point where you replaced the alternator but could there be any debris in the fan shroud or behind it?

If you spin the center alternator shaft do you hear any noises and does it seem to have any lateral play?

The last time I did the belts I used aftermarket belts and used the same number of shims as were present on the old belts with no problem. I would think you would have to be way off the reservation in belt tightness to pull the spindle off center in the fan housing enough to rub the shroud.

Andy :-)
Old 11-10-2014, 07:22 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
I would take your car to a mechanic to have the belts, pulleys, shims, etc, checked. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you don't know what you're doing.
Originally Posted by pp000830
I have replaced my belts on my 993 and my previous Carrera and never had a problem like this.
If you take the belts off and spin the fan do you hear it scrape the fan shroud?

If you spin the center alternator shaft do you hear any noises and does it seem to have any lateral play?

The last time I did the belts I used aftermarket belts and used the same number of shims as were present on the old belts with no problem. I would think you would have to be way off the reservation in belt tightness to pull the spindle off center in the fan housing enough to rub the shroud.

Andy :-)
That's funny but, regardless of tension, I was never able to pull the fan enough off center to cause rubbing on mine or other's cars I've worked on. I confer that it appears there is unnecessary lateral play caused by improper installation or really worn bearings.

The Kricket tool is quite easy to use to get the tension correct. But belts that are too tight shouldn't really move the fan off center. Belts that are too tight will wear faster and place added stress (i.e. prematurely wear out) on the alternator bearings but shouldn't physically move the fan position.

Yes, I agree with Noah, bring it by a Porsche mechanic to check that everything is installed correctly. Even though it's not rubbing now, the fact that the fan moves make me think that something may cause a failure down the road.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 394 Posts

Thank you resuscitating this thread - and thanks to TMc993 for the link to the DIY!

We were out in our C2S's a few weeks ago when my cohort threw a belt. I thought we were all set with a tool kit and replacement belts. I don't always carry around a 24 MM wrench and socket wrench - but will for now on! LOL! At least it was a nice day, the scenery was great, and my buddy paid for the Pizza and beer!

Nice to have another car along for reference

Don't rely on your 993 tool kit alone, or this may be your ride home!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
If you're running new belts, you need to be running max shims, which is 6 per pulley.
You need to install whatever shims are necessary for the "new belt" tension specification.

There are two sets of numbers, actually four; for new and used belts and for a cold or hot engine.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by zenithblue993
Any ideas?
Not in your case but listening to your 1st video, it reminds me of the noise made by the pulleys on someone's 993.

There is a reason they use shallow head socket-head cap screws to hold the pulley on.

Some DIYers might replace the stripped-head socket-head cap screws that came out (you should have used a quality tool ) with screws from the local hardware store. Well the head on those socket-head cap screws are too high and will rub up against the adjacent pulley that is running at a different speed.

Quick Reply: FIXED:Just installed fan, alternator, and belts. What's that noise?