993 Forum 1995-1998

New Fire Extinguisher Mounting-thoughts and pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
Default New Fire Extinguisher Mounting-thoughts and pics

I'd been thinking about putting an extinguisher into the car, as she is over 20 years old now, and well, you never know. I may also be of help to someone else, if they had trouble. Cruising through a thread a few weeks ago, Ilko mentioned he had a Stable Energies mount for a great price, so I bought it to mount an Amerex 2.5lb Halotron unit. Straight forward & efficient transaction with Ilko, BTW.

Here's where I'm "struggling", or better yet, re-thinking their design. The mount is technically supposed to have the vertical mount face pointed downward. However, if I do that, the extinguisher has to mount so that the nozzle points down, and the handles have to point up, and on the side near the door, in order to clear the floor. A) I think that the thing could drag on the floor in that position, B) the upturned handle presents a "rougher" edge to scrape a leg or catch a pant leg, or take out my wife's stockings.

So, I think I'm ok with the mount like this, and it doesn't effect anyone sitting in the seat, from what I can see, except if you had a small child with short legs. That could actually be a toss up, either way.

Anyone else using one of these?

PS- Had to ditch the rail-mounted cup holder, at least how this is setup now.

PPS- Anyone care to guess what my new widget in the last pic does?
Attached Images     
Old 09-28-2014, 05:15 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Back scratcher for Toby?
Old 09-28-2014, 05:21 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

In the 3rd pic, it looks as though there's a little room below it, to the carpet. Maybe between the plate that has the clamp and where it mates to the mounting bracket, you could put a piece of thin plate steal. Possible drill different holes to mount that portion lower (towards carpet) and get it away from passengers legs (wifes stockings).
Need dimensions on widget to try and guess, throw some scale in there! :-)
Old 09-28-2014, 05:24 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Ya selling the cup holder? :-)
Old 09-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

There's room below now, but not if I flip the bkt. I could make a plate, but then it gets a little lower, but not much to gain. The handle sticks up a lot, of I flip the ext 180 degrees, no matter what height.

The widget is 10" long....

No on cup holder, for now!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:31 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Ed,
I've got a couple of FE mounts (neither have made it into the car yet...) if you want to look at others. I think one is the Stable Energies, and the other came with my GT3 seats so I'm not sure what it is.

hmmm, loosing the rail mount cup holder isn't really something I want to do. Any thoughts on mods on a FE bracket to be compatible? Maybe we need to dream up a combo FE mount + cup holder and get a prototype fabbed.

If you took the end off that last picture, that would be a nice marshmallow roaster. But its probably a newfangledsupermagnetpickerupperdealythingamabob. So what do I win for my correct guess?
Old 09-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'd say there's a need for the combo unit Keith!

The widget is a flexible magnetized oil drain plug remover. Has two flanges to grab the plug after it's loosened. You then twist to unscrew it all of the way. If you do it with oil hot, you don't get a hot oil hand bath, and plug stays out of the oil receptacle! Read about it in Autoweek; best gizmo I've seen in a while!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:39 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I installed my fire extinguisher mount, I just flipped my cup holder upside down and mounted it to the rail under my right knee. I bought a screw with a nearly flush head so it fits under my seat without impingement, as I drive with the seat fairly far forward.

Works great and is unobtrusive!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by callipygian 911
When I installed my fire extinguisher mount, I just flipped my cup holder upside down and mounted it to the rail under my right knee. I bought a screw with a nearly flush head so it fits under my seat without impingement, as I drive with the seat fairly far forward.

Works great and is unobtrusive!

That is a distant second choice I'd thought of. My long legs won't clear a water bottle without driving me nuts.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:55 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Ed,
This is how I did it: FE mounting

Additional mod: thread

Andreas
Old 09-28-2014, 06:06 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Here ya go, problem solved. Just get the DAS roll bar. This is where mine is. Your wifes stockings will be safe :-)Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  107.4 KB
Old 09-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Thanks Andreas, it just seemed like I'd have no clearance with the bkt pointing down. I'll try it.

No roll bar in this car, at least at this time.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:23 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Here ya go, problem solved. Just get the DAS roll bar.
Except rollbar + anything but a shell seat is a recipe for disaster....... (Yeah, yeah, back in the Olden Days we didn't know any better. But today we do.)
Old 09-29-2014, 11:41 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed,
I put one of those in the 964t. I put it in as instructed but re-drilled the mounting holes to orient the extinguisher as you have. I drilled them as high (close to the bend) as I could get them so the extinguisher would be up off the floor. The lower edge of the bracket does seem to touch the carpeting slightly but, not enough to leave a mark.
My plan is to do the same for the 993... just need to get off my butt and order another bracket!

Gary
Old 09-29-2014, 12:49 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this setup in the past and hated it!!!

My passenger would constantly kick the extinguisher, and complains about it eating into their feet space.

But I don't know of a better setup, so have to take it out.

Besides, I want a setup where the driver can access the FE easily. Putting it on the passenger floor and metal clasps is not easily accessible.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'd been thinking about putting an extinguisher into the car, as she is over 20 years old now, and well, you never know. I may also be of help to someone else, if they had trouble. Cruising through a thread a few weeks ago, Ilko mentioned he had a Stable Energies mount for a great price, so I bought it to mount an Amerex 2.5lb Halotron unit. Straight forward & efficient transaction with Ilko, BTW.

Here's where I'm "struggling", or better yet, re-thinking their design. The mount is technically supposed to have the vertical mount face pointed downward. However, if I do that, the extinguisher has to mount so that the nozzle points down, and the handles have to point up, and on the side near the door, in order to clear the floor. A) I think that the thing could drag on the floor in that position, B) the upturned handle presents a "rougher" edge to scrape a leg or catch a pant leg, or take out my wife's stockings.

So, I think I'm ok with the mount like this, and it doesn't effect anyone sitting in the seat, from what I can see, except if you had a small child with short legs. That could actually be a toss up, either way.

Anyone else using one of these?

PS- Had to ditch the rail-mounted cup holder, at least how this is setup now.

PPS- Anyone care to guess what my new widget in the last pic does?

Quick Reply: New Fire Extinguisher Mounting-thoughts and pics