Sponsored by:

shipping vs driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OG,

Ship your V1 out to the seller. Trying to bring it with you on the plane might cause some post 9/11 hassles. Supposedly, the V1 casing is x-ray shielded (probably to reduce emissions from radar detector detectors), and even if it wasn't, new security measures supposedly will increase scrutiny of any electronic device.

That's what I did upon advice from someone else who did the same thing.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

OG,

Do the drive. Mine was in San Diego and I drove it from Phoenix to Atlanta in 2 days stopping to see some friends in Houston on the way (only a slight deviation). It was a great way to a) relax, b) get to know my new baby, and c) relax. Oh, by the way, what's a "speed limit"? :-)
Old 08-07-2003, 11:01 AM
titleist1
Racer

I used to drive From AZ to NC often during school years, great experience, just make sure you have Radar, good music, bra to protect front end, enjoy!
Old 08-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about getting a V1 ahead of time. That was the first thing that I got for my p-car!
Old 08-07-2003, 12:19 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow OG, I just looked at my US map... and I am totally jealous! Even the drive on interstates looks great from a rock climbers perspective, but I am assuming I am one of the few Rennlisters thus warped. Try to find some nice twisty state highways along the way... it might take more time, but should be well worth it.

You would be welcome at my hacienda if returning through Tucson... the only price being a ride in the TT! I think many others here would be similarly interested...

The V1 is a must... and also watch your mirrors so you don't get paced. I have taken my V1 on many plane trips as a carry on for use in rental cars, and never had a problem.

Have a blast!!!! Mark.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:39 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

How do I get a V1, I did a search but I cant do one on a two letter
word, how? where? howmuch?
OG
Old 08-07-2003, 12:43 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

OG,

You can only buy a new V1 (Valentine One) directly from Mike Valentine's company: http://www.valentineone.com/

Some folks here also have the remote display but I don't.

You may be able to pick up used ones elsewhere but you would want to check and see what the software version is. Valentine will upgrade any older detector but for a price. The website should have the details you need.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:46 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

I would just get a new one. They are $400. you can find old ones on ebay for around $200, but those are the older model. It costs about $200 to upgrade to the newest software.

Best bet is to get a new one. Of course, you'll have to hard wire it into your TT: http://p-car.com/diy/v1/
Old 08-07-2003, 01:47 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

OG,

My car came with TWO bras, so I used one on that Az road trip. Now I know where those little marks on the top of the fenders came from! Use great care if you decide to use a bra... I never use mine any more. So, are you really gonig to do it?
Old 08-07-2003, 01:51 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I dont know, I got to figure out funding and flights from Boise
to New Haven Conn. If I don thave funding today then the trip would
probably not come off. I dont know what is going to happen!
I would not use a bra, I would use
a manzere.
OG
Old 08-07-2003, 02:07 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

OG - be sure to get your insurance with the new VIN on it. Then grab a plate off of one of your existing cars along with insurance and registration. Then put that plate on your new car when you arrive. You will have a bill of sale to go with the car and an insurance document. The plate will make you look more legit than a paper plate or no plate. Get some nice leather driving gloves as well. I made 2 Porsche acquisition trips from W-S NC to NM and they were an absolute blast - you will find yourself on the pavement at a rest stop at 3 in the morning looking at your car in the dim light!!
Old 08-07-2003, 02:18 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My inusurance people had lunch with my car people and they said
that I would have insurance for 30 days after purchase. Now if i could
just get my finance peopel to have lunch with my car people!
I like the idea of the plate!
OG
Old 08-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Are buying from a licensed dealer? In that case, the licensed dealer should have some temporary plates.

In my case, although I bought the car from a fellow Rennlister, we decided to go through a licensed dealer since I would get a much more favorate loan rate through Peoplefirst going through a dealer (I decided to stick my cash in the market where it has done waaay better than what Peoplefirst is charging me!)
Old 08-07-2003, 02:36 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

OG, I knew when I met you at Mammoth that you had already done your homework and were asking the serious questions. Fine ride, great delivery method. Have a safe and fun trip.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:39 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

The only really legal way to do it is to buy a drive out plate from ther DMV in the state where you are buying the car. I did not want a paper plate on the car for my own strange reasons so I concocted that other plan - it was kinda funny - I came out from a reststop bathroom in Tennessee to find a group of really OG's and gals looking at my car - I asked if I could help them and in their best southern drawl they said "wees just wonderin why a cute little car with a NC registration and NM plates is parked at a reststop in TN". I told them, hit the road, and immediately started peeling that darned sticker off with my left thumb as I drove. When I pulled up to a gas station in AR, I came out from paying to find an AR state trooper standing beside my car - I asked if I could help him and he said "Eyes just wondering about this car here with NM plates and a partially peeled off registration sticker that looks like its from aaaaa NC" He made me show him all my stuff and I told him there was no way I was gonna drive with a paper plate and he bought it and said I was OK. Have fun!!

Quick Reply: shipping vs driving