Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:23 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Front Suspension Question

Need a little help for an ongoing problem.
I am contemplating removing, cleaning, greasing and re-assembly of the top hats of the stock suspension. This is an attempt to solve front steering "stiction" during hot weather.
The front suspension is new territory for me, need some feedback from the more experienced:

1. Can I remove the bolts in the trunk securing the top mount, let it drop enough to remove and clean the top hats?

2. If so, I do not believe this would ne a re-alignment, am I wrong?

3. If this is possible, what grease should be used?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:24 AM
jscott82
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

The only wear items are along the shock shaft...

To get to them apart to clean/inspect you need to have the shock on a bench, use a spring compressor, and remove the shock top nut (#10 in the diagram). No grease is specified.

You sure its coming from the shock top? The other thing to look at would be tears/binding in the lower a-arm bushings.
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Not sure where the issue is, going thru and checking the things within my skills/cost range. The issue is a steering "stiction" during hot weather. Cold weather the steering is great. Hot weather causes a binding effect, so much that going around a gentle curve, the steering will not return to straight ahead by itself. Highway driving I can gently preload the steering with no change, and when I hit a bump, it will then move.
In looking at PET image above, I see no bushings/bearings for the suspension to ride on, with the exception of #2 and 4.

I have replaced the CAB with the walrod bushings, the old ones were showing their age.

I am not wanting to replace a steering rack that is not leaking. It had been suggested in another thread.

Any ideas?
Old 06-09-2014, 01:02 PM
jscott82
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Wow.. that does not sound good...

I doubt it’s your rack as it is a positive engagement rack and pinion... I just can’t envision anyplace where there could be any slop...

If it’s really “stuck” I would be looking at the lower ball joint and tire rod end. If those check out then I would definitely pull that shock and see what’s going on.

The only other thing that comes to my mind is alignment…. If the caster is out, the steering may feel lackadaisical in returning, I could see how that may feel like sticking… but in reality would still be solidly engaged with no slop.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

+-+

Last edited by Paul M; 02-07-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:34 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you put the car up on a lift? You can turn the front wheels back and forth via the tires and see/hear/inspect everything up close -- might lead to a diagnosis.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:00 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

The lift is a great idea! A good use, now maybe the chief financial officer will allow me to get one! Been on my wish list for 2 years.

I have had it up on stands, and can not see any obvious signs of worn items, or slack in the system. Not really any slop in the steering, it just becomes tight in hot weather. (Gutter mind - disengage)

Also thought of power steering, and did a total fluid refresh. No changes, fluid did not look bad.

Thinking some rubber bushing is failing and hot temps make it more flexible and will not let movement happen.

I will take another look this week and
Old 06-09-2014, 03:50 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

The bearing in the rubber mount at the top of the coil-over is well protected, sealed and robust. Unlikely this is you issue. Even if it was binding the shaft in the strut rotates freely in the strut body so I think you are barking up the wrong tree,
Things to consider:
1) you toe in is way off.
2)The car is lowered to the point below ROW Lowered height and wheel carrier mounting components are binding.
3) Your steering rack has some serious internal problems causing it to bind
4) One of the two steering column joints under the dash are binding or something under the dash is interfering with their movement.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:23 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Great! I was wondering about the bearing if it is a sealed type, and any failure rate.
Will do some checks under the dash, did not think of those joints. I also recall the control arm having a "R" on it with a marker. Like it was a used part. Like the other was damaged. My thoughts are now leaning to something in the steering rack damaged years ago, just no leaking.

What really is bizarre is the cold/hot when driving.

Edit: I will get a helper to cycle the steering rack from side to side and look for something off. Did it once, checking the tie rods for play.

I have been looking under the car, cleaning. Found a way of cleaning the cosmoline that is "ok" . Still takes time. Turtle Wax spray bottle of their tar/bug remover. Leave it on for a while (couple of hours), or use a brush to speed up. Then wipe. repeat a few times, done!
Old 02-07-2019, 12:51 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

To follow-up and close this issue. Yep, drove the car with this issue all this time. Finally have a lift, DanMar mini scissor lift.

The original shocks and struts had to go, went to Koni Sport Active and the MO33.
During the refresh, I did not plan on replacing the top mounts.
Unfortunately, the sealed bearing was in such bad shape, almost seized.
A little shocked (no pun intended), at the price!

Anyway, the install ran smooth, watch the orientation of the rear mounts!
The alignment done, and it is a joy to drive, once again!
Steering wheel / rack centers like it should, no stiction!!

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Question