Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumpier more costly ride ahead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 02:09 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Recently someone posted about his 993 that was finished and he couldn't think of anything left to do to it. The end result (as most pointed out) is a well sorted 993 that is great to use, drive, and enjoy. Perhaps RL is getting to that point where most issues have been encountered and resolved, and there isn't much technical stuff to add. Now it's just time to enjoy these cars and solve problems easily and with support, and finally, share with each other the fun and cosmetic stuff.

Years back I was part of a forum for European cars that was absolutely useless in my opinion. So many new topics were posted for issues with no DIY as far as the eye could see, they all seemed to end the same.... "I took it to the dealer and they fixed it", or some wouldn't even return to say that much leaving me at square one. These were for cars out of warranty too. Amazing. RL is a breath of fresh air after that, so I love it here.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:39 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I think that this has become a Goundhog Day of sorts. Every time I see a question or comment I answer it to myself. Why? Because I've seen it 6,436,976 times before. Can I answer it? Sure, will I involve myself? No. Why? Because I'm burned out. Yes burned out of the same exact thing day in and day out. Let me prove a point...

Let's play 993 word association for a minute.

Hardback seats:
How much
Sell me yours
Rudy
Value
Heated
Rudy-god
Adds to value

Speedster:
Jaeger
Multi quote
Speedy
9M
Mark-god
JP
Curve
Bro

Oil:
Brad Penn
HD Air Cooled
Survey says
CEL
Steve Wiener
Good deal at Wallmart
Your car will explode on Mobil 1

Value:
Blue chip investment
Investment
Asking too much
Asking too little
S cars are literally gold
Epic investment
College fund
Next S
Next RS
A milli, a milli, a milli...

So yes I'm grumpy after 7 years here. It's the same fu$king questions and stories and valuation fu$king threads day after day, week after week, year after year. Will the world stop spinning if IB sells? No, but it will probably get worse for us. Those who check the vehicle classifieds regularly will understand. This has slowly become a cesspool of useless bottom feeders and self absorbed investors...
Old 06-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
This has slowly become a cesspool of useless bottom feeders and self absorbed investors...
Don't hate, appreciate.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

What a terrible situation. I'm selling. Any idea what my cars worth?

Just kidding

If you're new to the 993 world or just looking to get into it, this is undoubtedly the place to be.

If you don't like the content of some threads, don't read them.

Have you tried to use the search function? It's not very good. It's a lot easier to start a new thread to get the answer to your question, at any one time there are several knowledgeable people logged into the 993 forum who are more than willing to help you out instantly.

The original Rennlist site was built on free shareware, it's still on the lousy platform despite IB charging membership fees. Hopefully the new owner steps up and improves it.

There, now that I got that off my chest look at my shiny exhaust
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

JD nailed it below, the threads are getting rather repetitive and predictable as of late....

Let's play 993 word association for a minute.

Hardback seats:
How much
Sell me yours
Rudy
Value
Heated
Rudy-god
Adds to value

Speedster:
Jaeger
Multi quote
Speedy
9M
Mark-god
JP
Curve
Bro

Oil:
Brad Penn
HD Air Cooled
Survey says
CEL
Steve Wiener
Good deal at Wallmart
Your car will explode on Mobil 1

Value:
Blue chip investment
Investment
Asking too much
Asking too little
S cars are literally gold
Epic investment
College fund
Next S
Next RS
A milli, a milli, a milli...
Old 06-05-2014, 11:13 AM
nourm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who just joined the community about a year ago I'd say Rennlist has been absolutely indispensable. When I decided to purchase a Porsche 2 years ago, this forum was actually one of the reasons I ultimately decided to go with a 993. The wealth of knowledge on here on a 20 year old car is unreal. Any problem you could possibly think of (and there are many that come up throughout ownership of this car as I've learned) has been documented here. And if somehow you can't find the answer, there's a 99.9% chance that someone on here does and you'll have the answer within 24 hours. This forum is great because of the guys that are on here, the guys that know everything about this car. When I bought my C4, my friends and family thought I was nuts buying a 20 year old car, but this forum actually gave me a sense of security. You guys gave me hope when I couldn't find a suitable car for 6 months, helped me navigate the difficult purchase and inspection process, hooked me up with the right place to get a PPI and even got me a Rennfax 2500 miles away from me. Now that I own the car and encounter issues Rennlist is here to save the day. Call me crazy but I love my 993 and the second I see a check engine light or some kind of issue, my heart drops for a second, but then I come on here and I'm good.
Sorry for the long post but I just needed to throw in my feelings as a new-ish member here. For those of you that think the forum is less "quality" now, you must be forgetting how useful its been to you in the past. By now I bet your car is well-sorted and you know how to deal with anything it throws your way, but for us newbie's Rennlist is the first and sometimes only source for a solution. I'm on here even if I don't have a problem with a car, on a daily basis. This is a community for people with a similar interest in the 993, we love our cars and there is definitely a "social" community aspect to that.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993

What did happen is that since that time, the users of RL have transformed it from a first-class technical site to a quasi-Facebook "look at me" social site for 993 owners/wannabe owners....If anything kills RL, it will be its own users, not a change in ownership.
even though i have only been here 7 years, i must say
amen brother!
Old 06-05-2014, 02:06 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
First, learn how to read, because the second poster raised the hypothetical of a new RL site...geez.

Second, how will an abundance of 993 owners/wannabe owners lead to the demise of a 993 forum? You come across as a pretentious a-hole.
Posted by Todynot
That's true, but the new site will lack the archives found hear.
H E R E, not h e a r

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

I have found Terry a gifted technical asset to this community, and appreciate his presence (not presents) and contributions.

Last edited by nine9six; 06-05-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six

H E R E, not h e a r

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

I have found Terry a gifted technical asset to this community, and appreciate his presence (not presents) and contributions.
Dick
Old 06-05-2014, 05:42 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm, very interesting discussion but as the OP I'd like to point more directly at what I was commenting on originally. KKR, the new owner of Rennlist is a company with a market capitalization of 9.7 billion and 51.4 billion in assets. My guess is the best we can hope for is that they never figure out we even exist.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:02 PM
993-CT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But will the threads about paying for a membership continue with KKR as owner? ;-)
Old 06-05-2014, 06:34 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by skywachr
Umm, very interesting discussion but as the OP I'd like to point more directly at what I was commenting on originally. KKR, the new owner of Rennlist is a company with a market capitalization of 9.7 billion and 51.4 billion in assets. My guess is the best we can hope for is that they never figure out we even exist.
Here's an article from the NY Times: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/06/...ype=blogs&_r=0
Old 06-05-2014, 06:43 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-CT
But will the threads about paying for a membership continue with KKR as owner? ;-)
No. I promise to never again complain about some cheap fu$k not paying for $hit but trying to sell their car here. You know the car that they always wanted to buy since they were -16 (yes thats right -16). Now that they have finally found the car of their dreams the world has fallen apart on them. Thats right folks, in the 24 hours since they purchased the car (of course the title is still in the previous owners name) they must sell the car at a 50% markup from its last Craigslist price. And you know the bleeding hearts here on RL will stand up and tell everyone that he's doing whats right for him. They'll even start a webpage taking donations for the sick cockatoo that has necessitated this quick sale. Kind of like a modern day "Save Ferris" deal, Crowd-funding they call it...
Old 06-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
......So yes I'm grumpy after 7 years here. It's the same fu$king questions and stories and valuation fu$king threads day after day, week after week, year after year. Will the world stop spinning if IB sells?
Interesting thread to read and I wasn't going to comment until I saw my name in there.

JMHO, but I don't think anything appreciable will change here. The Rennlist community (all, not simply the 993 Forum) is what we collectively make it, constructive & useful or otherwise.

Although I can certainly empathize with being "grumpy" about seeing the same questions, ad nauseam, you are not alone in that so I'd kindly suggest a modicum of patience with the newer members who recently joined the fold needing some guidance. I do the same thing on my own forums.

Try to imagine the sheer number of calls & e-mails I receive every day/week/month for the past 35+ years and the massive redundancy of all that. I'd guess that its FAR more than you ever read here and I've managed to maintain sanity (maybe?) answering the same things hoping that it helps people. Should be pretty easy for you.

This place has REALLY helped a lot of Porsche owners and whatever value we expect from reading everything here is proportional with one's participation. In short, everyone can make this experience as constructive and useful as we want by adding content.

OK, I'm done.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Oh, it was about you Steve? I thought it was Steve Wiener...

Quick Reply: Bumpier more costly ride ahead?