993 Forum 1995-1998

Bumpier more costly ride ahead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 06:02 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bumpier more costly ride ahead?

Internet Brands, the corporate owner of Rennlist, is being acquired by KKR a publicly-traded highly diversified alts investor. Their MO is to buy and manage companies for the purpose of increasing their cash flow, profitability and value. They are very good at it. Your results may vary.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:16 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Someone once started Rennlist. Now it is what it is.

If it becomes a chore to be on here, as it may, someone will start a "new" 'Rennlist'.

Happened once. Can happen again if this place get burdensome.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:38 PM
si2t3m
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

If it becomes a chore to be on here, as it may, someone will start a "new" 'Rennlist'.

+1
Old 06-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

That's true, but the new site will lack the archives found hear.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:55 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
That's true, but the new site will lack the archives found hear.
"New site?" What new site? Who said anything about a new site?

What many seem to forget/not know is that the originator of RL sold the original site to Internet Brands about five years ago. When that happened, there was all kinds of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth about the demise of RL. Obviously, it didn't happened.

What did happen is that since that time, the users of RL have transformed it from a first-class technical site to a quasi-Facebook "look at me" social site for 993 owners/wannabe owners....If anything kills RL, it will be its own users, not a change in ownership.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:58 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if i could "like" your comment I would. LOL.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Internet Brands is absolutely horrible. Hard to imagine it could be worse.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
"New site?" What new site? Who said anything about a new site?

What many seem to forget/not know is that the originator of RL sold the original site to Internet Brands about five years ago. When that happened, there was all kinds of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth about the demise of RL. Obviously, it didn't happened.

What did happen is that since that time, the users of RL have transformed it from a first-class technical site to a quasi-Facebook "look at me" social site for 993 owners/wannabe owners....If anything kills RL, it will be its own users, not a change in ownership.
First, learn how to read, because the second poster raised the hypothetical of a new RL site...geez.

Second, how will an abundance of 993 owners/wannabe owners lead to the demise of a 993 forum? You come across as a pretentious a-hole.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:20 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Second, how will an abundance of 993 owners/wannabe owners lead to the demise of a 993 forum? You come across as a pretentious a-hole.
Point proven, welcome to Facebook-list...
Old 06-04-2014, 11:53 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

....how will an abundance of 993 owners/wannabe owners lead to the demise of a 993 forum? You come across as a pretentious a-hole.
No offense intended dawg....Just stating fact.

I started lurking here in 2004...Joined in 2005. Back then, the posts were 85-90% truly technical, with the rest being "social" (Meetings, drives, shows, etc)...Now, the ratio is reversed...There hasn't been a new technical problem/solution posted on RL in probably two years...Just the same old what oil/DME relay/window switch/brake bleed/clutch slave cylinder, yadda-yadda-yadda questions that could be answered with a simple search of the archives....

What has replaced the technical issues is a myriad of "social" threads....For instance, currently included in the RL menu are a free ticket to LeMans, a question about why two 993s in Florida haven’t sold, A Toronto drive-in, a discussion of renting a fake Speedster in Maui, and a several "look at me I polished the back side of my radio *****" threads. Hardly, technical.

That said, I'm not saying that any of this is "wrong." What I am saying is that the nature of RL has changed significantly. It's just not really technical anymore.

What it is, is more "Facebook" than ever in that so many posts are designed to garner the approval of a lot of strangers whose only commonality is ownership of a particular type of car.

That's all I was sayin' dawg...And it you read this far, the your get a "Like" from me....
Old 06-04-2014, 11:57 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Porschelist.com er Rennlist.com

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Point proven, welcome to Facebook-list...
+1 to TMc993's (Terry's) point of view.

Memory lane: Back in the early days when JD dreamed up Porschelist.com the internet wouldn't earn critical mass until well into the future. As the decades pass there's an ebb and flow of what passes as "good" DIY content; recently a fellow 993 owner (Ed Hughes) walked the forum through his coupes 3.6 R&R performed in his Southern Cali home garage. Priceless 993 DIY forum detail!

A few weeks ago the social media world including notably the Rennlist was captured by a disgruntled 991 owner ..... That bull ****e wouldn't have flown back in the day. Such is progress some say. I'm not certain is my $.02. Has progress dragged in some wide eyed ****e? Often does.

Times They Are A change'in - Bob Dylan.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Rennlist isn't has technical as it use to be but it is still a more technical forum than teamspeed or luxury4play for example.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:14 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rennlist is less technical for a couple of reasons....

1) These cars are approaching 20 years old, while every answer to every problem or DIY hasn't been provided a good majority have.
2) Demographics are changing. People went technical because they were DIY. These days with the money it takes to join the club, the average buyer can afford to take the car to a professional.

Personally, I still enjoy the modification threads even if it's just cosmetic. I'm really growing tired of the threads around value and selling.

I've been lurking on Quattroworld.... Head over there and the functionality in this site is like stepping forward in time 10 years. Also, there are 4 posts PER day.... Hardly enough activity to keep me interested.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:47 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 as well. Thankfully the archives are still here to help with the tech questions.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:06 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
...Just the same old what oil/DME relay/window switch/brake bleed/clutch slave cylinder, yadda-yadda-yadda questions that could be answered with a simple search of the archives....
Can't say you're wrong but for myself I find it easy to pretty much tune out the stuff I consider to be irrelevant dross. If others are into it, that's cool too; takes all kinds to make a community.

What I will say is that the material in the archives (and often mirrored or amplified in external sites like Mike J's or Robin's) have proven absolutely indispensable in my almost 10 years of C4 ownership. It's even helpful to find multiple threads discussing different aspects of the same topic - often because the various posters didn't find the desired info by searching.

Perhaps even more indispensable has been the astonishing responsiveness of the many technically gifted and sharing forum participants. During my 2 year (yeah, I work slow, and life is busy) rebuild of my engine top end, distributor, suspension, and clutch upgrade I've lost track of how many times I've been stumped and posted some arcane technical question, and had responses within hours or even minutes by Steve Weiner, Mike J, Andreas, Trophy, Alex, Garth, geolab, Bill V, and many, many others.

I can state with conviction that if it wasn't for the very strong technical participation by so many in the RList community, my car would still be in pieces scattered around the garage floor. Instead, last night my 16 year old son drove it for the first time, with me on shotgun, biting my tongue as he discovered the vagaries of the LWF and RS clutch. Today he is still walking on clouds. He might not know that so many people were instrumental in creating memories he will have for his whole life - but I know it, and I can't begin to thank all of those people enough.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, if some members are more interested in polishing radio ***** or hosting porsche-logo tupperware parties, who cares if it makes them and their kindred spirits happy. My own experience has been that the technical presence here is still very much alive and well, and exceedingly easy to tap into when really needed.

Quick Reply: Bumpier more costly ride ahead?