Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Free ticket to Lemans for a favour

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 03:13 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Hmm, doesn't look like I'm working that weekend and Le Mans is only a 6 hours drive away. Not much of a story teller though.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 173 Posts

Wow, this is what makes rennlist a great place to hang out, the 993 forum is the best!
Old 06-05-2014, 01:06 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
Thanks again for your generosity Ken!

Flight to Paris is on hold and rental car is reserved. Just got to get a sign off from work tomorrow, book some hotels and get final approval when my wife gets home from work tonight. If all is well I will be leaving this Saturday morning. Getting excited! I never do anything this spontaneous...

Hopefully my photo tour will live up to this gift.
I think you need to add to the whole story the planning, the conversation with the wife etc..... Looking forward to your report.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:01 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
I think you need to add to the whole story the planning, the conversation with the wife etc..... Looking forward to your report.
I will do my best.

I saw this post yesterday morning. When I saw it I thought how incredible that would be to get to do that trip at the last minute for some lucky member. The generosity of Ken and some of the other rennlisters here is just incredible.

About 2 hours later I was sitting at work struggling through a particularly stressful week and the thought of this thread popped back into my mind. Then I thought about the the fact that I have more than enough airline miles to do this. So I sent off a PM to Ken to see if there was any chance the ticket was still available, I figured for sure there would be a line of 10 people by then...

To be continued...
Old 06-05-2014, 04:39 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

.....Flight to Paris is on hold and rental car is reserved. Just got to get a sign off from work tomorrow, book some hotels and get final approval when my wife gets home from work tonight. If all is well I will be leaving this Saturday morning. Getting excited! I never do anything this spontaneous...

Hopefully my photo tour will live up to this gift.
Dude. You're my new hero!! Talk about a sure thing ... you'll NEVER regret this!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:19 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

To be continued...
After I sent the PM to Ken I went on to the American Airlines site just to look around and see if they had any flights available that I could use my airline miles on. They showed one flight left to Paris that leaves this Saturday early in the AM and returns Monday the day after the races. I put a hold on that flight just in the off chance I was offered the ticket and everything would fall in to place with my schedule. I started looking around for some hotel rooms but it seemed like was going to be harder than I had expected.

After that I just waited. As the day drew closer to an end I started to give up hope. I assumed that someone else got to the ticket before me. Then just as I was getting ready for bed I get a message from Ken that I was the only one to respond and that the ticket was mine if I wanted it....
Old 06-05-2014, 05:19 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
Talk about a sure thing ... you'll NEVER regret this!
I suspect you will be right JP!
Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

After I sent the PM to Ken I went on to the American Airlines site just to look around and see if they had any flights available that I could use my airline miles on. They showed one flight left to Paris that leaves this Saturday early in the AM and returns Monday the day after the races. I put a hold on that flight just in the off chance I was offered the ticket and everything would fall in to place with my schedule. I started looking around for some hotel rooms but it seemed like was going to be harder than I had expected.

After that I just waited. As the day drew closer to an end I started to give up hope. I assumed that someone else got to the ticket before me. Then just as I was getting ready for bed I get a message from Ken that I was the only one to respond and that the ticket was mine if I wanted it....
A great start to the story to be told.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:44 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
+1 this will be so cool. So glad it went to a long time lister.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Awesome!!!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:31 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Then just as I was getting ready for bed I get a message from Ken that I was the only one to respond and that the ticket was mine if I wanted it....
So with part of my plans tentatively scheduled earlier that day I jumped at the chance. I immediately booked a rental car and started the search for a hotel near the race. I also sent off an email to the person that organizes the Porsche Factory tours to see if I could get a slot on a tour for the following week (long shot I know), I'm still waiting for a response on that one.

I had already mentioned that idea of the trip to my wife earlier yesterday when I sent the PM. At first she said you should go if the opportunity is there. Then later in the day she asked about it again and I mentioned if I go I would be flying into Paris. Sometimes nothing needs to be said but you can tell your wife is not happy. She thought this was going to be a boring trip to Germany to see more cars and to some small city in France for a race, not a wonderful trip to Paris...
Old 06-05-2014, 09:12 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So with part of my plans tentatively scheduled earlier that day I jumped at the chance. I immediately booked a rental car and started the search for a hotel near the race. I also sent off an email to the person that organizes the Porsche Factory tours to see if I could get a slot on a tour for the following week (long shot I know), I'm still waiting for a response on that one.

I had already mentioned that idea of the trip to my wife earlier yesterday when I sent the PM. At first she said you should go if the opportunity is there. Then later in the day she asked about it again and I mentioned if I go I would be flying into Paris. Sometimes nothing needs to be said but you can tell your wife is not happy. She thought this was going to be a boring trip to Germany to see more cars and to some small city in France for a race, not a wonderful trip to Paris...

I spent 3 hours in Paris for dinner, and that was enough for me.

As far as the drive over to Germany, it's a decent haul. But take the time to do the Porsche Museum and also the Mercedes Benz Museum. Don't forget that AMG is also in close proximity as well.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I went in 2010, Le Mans is the ultimate for race fans. Night practice, scrutineering, drivers parade, great food-something every day. You will only be in the grandstand for the very start and the finish.

Spent a few days in Paris after, a fantastic city, the comment above is so not true.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:08 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Did you get your flight?
If not, let us know, we'll get you there. Even if you have to fly into Gatwick UK and get a channel ferry!!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:10 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Oh and I hear the way to do Le Mans is in a tent. Or get a station wagon and sleep in the back. It'll be like a rock festival anyway. Who needs a hotel.

Quick Reply: Free ticket to Lemans for a favour