Sponsored by:

Broken motor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
I apologize for the problem with your order. It appears one of the mounting bolts was out of stock in the US and would have had to come from Germany. If I had known, I could have sold you the kit without the new mounting bolts (they are the same as on your original mounts, so I assume you could reuse those), and it would have shipped out within 4 days, no problem. In any case, I hope you get back on the road soon
the original mounts have a stud inset into the rubber part of the mount. Its not a separate bolt.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:51 AM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
the original mounts have a stud inset into the rubber part of the mount. Its not a separate bolt.
RS mounts use separate mounting bolts.

Edit: now I read you, ECS cannot tell OP to reuse the bolts in his broken mounts because they do not uuse bolts.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
OK so when I ordered my RS mounts from ECS, they said they would ship out in 4 days. Got an update today they wouldn't ship out until the 24th of june.
Any part that is in stock Germany can be 3-day rushed shipped to a USA Porsche dealership for very little money. You can also have the dealership check the entire USA inventory and then if anybody has one, they will forward it to you. When it comes to OE parts you are better off ($$$ and time-wise) just ordering it directly (ex. Sunset Imports, Sonnen, Suncoast, etc).
Old 06-05-2014, 12:05 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
It's not the center bolt that's out of stock. It's the 45mm long outer bolt (two are used on each mount). These are the same between the RS and the Carrera.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by therossinator
RS mounts use separate mounting bolts.

Edit: now I read you, ECS cannot tell OP to reuse the bolts in his broken mounts because they do not uuse bolts.
now that i re-read its unclear if ECS was talking about the 4 short m8 bolts that attach the mount to the body (reuseable) or the M12 center bolts that go through the engine carrier, which are inset studs on the oem units (but not RS)
Old 06-20-2014, 09:38 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

Quick update. My OEM Porsche mounts arrived on Monday and finally installed them today. Fabian (FabianS), came over to install them (thanks again buddy). Really easy actually. Maybe something I could even do on my own next time. Anyways, replaced the broken mount on the drivers side first. This is what the mount looked like after removal.....

As you can see, total failure!!

Oh well. Removed the "good" passenger side mount and with extremely little effort, this mount came apart the same as the above! WTF!!!!! What could have happened if both mounts separated at the same time?

Long story short and moral of the story, don't cheap out and buy aftermarket Porsche parts!!!

New mounts are in and the car is driving perfect again! I wonder if I can return the failed mounts to pelican for some sort of refund?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Guess that answers the question on the cheap mounts.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:45 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoa
Old 06-20-2014, 11:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
This is what the mount looked like after removal....
I wonder if I can return the failed mounts to pelican for some sort of refund?
Can you post a photo of the other (top) side of the mount?
Old 06-21-2014, 12:55 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Odd that both would be defective
Need to be sure mount is seated in the engine carrier when spinning the nut on or it can be ripped up, aftermarket or not
Old 06-21-2014, 12:41 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Need to be sure mount is seated in the engine carrier when spinning the nut on or it can be ripped up, aftermarket or not
This is what appears to have been the problem. A look at the underside of the broken mount (stud) would be helpful. It would take some mad force to spin those studs out of the mount though.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:15 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
I get what your saying. If that is the case wouldn't the mount get torn/damaged in the process of installing and the failure be evident right away?

Quick Reply: Broken motor mount?