Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken motor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:16 AM
FabianS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks bud. Lemme know if you need a hand installing any new ones.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:20 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

Oh I'll definitely need a hand. I'll let you know when the new mounts arrive!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:53 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

New RS mounts ordered from ECS. Looking forward to have the car back on the road!!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:58 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I purchased Turbo Mounts for my NB C2 when the stock ones let go. They're a bit harder and just rubber instead of fluid dampers but you'll need to manufacture a spacer to get to the same mounting height. Corteco is made by the Czechs, don't know if this would make a difference these days. Mine are the same brand, had them for 3 years now.
I wouldn't use Wevo mounts w/o reinforcing the mounting carrier.
Ed
Old 06-03-2014, 03:09 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
I used an OEM equivalent ( Corteco ) that I bought from Pelican.
JMHO,.......

I've had nothing but grief with many "OEM" parts that are made in Asia and other low-wage countries. Even Porsche is now outsourcing certain things to China and other such places.

For this reason, I'm VERY careful about the parts we use and install and the Corteco mounts have not been good for me. Others may have had a better experience, but we'll not install another set since I cannot afford comebacks (I have to absorb the labor and parts) as well as an unhappy client.

Again,....JMHO.

While I cannot tell you where and what to buy in this Forum, I would advise anyone reading this not to use the cheapest price as the main criteria when making such critical decisions. The consequences will cost FAR more than whatever you might save. When in doubt, use factory Porsche stuff.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:40 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Yeah in hindsight I should have spent more money on OEM mounts but I just figured there wouldn't be that much of a difference to justify the price difference. Now I know better.

With respect to RS mounts, there is no reason to strengthen the engine carrier is there?
Old 06-04-2014, 12:57 AM
IainM
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 236 Posts

^ +993
I have had so many problems with aftermarket parts on all my cars - it's not worth it. The part is cheap, the labor is expensive. Only buy genuine parts! It's good provenance too.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:20 AM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sunset is cheap enough, I would not be able to afford my repairs if it weren't for them. Since discovering them I've only used pelican for cross referencing part numbers and buying things that sunset can't provide, like a cup holder or something. Additionally, RL weeds out a lot of the worthless crap, and the good ideas/manufacturers are brought to the top, like OE mounts, RS mounts, or WEVOs. People don't generally talk about others, not that there are too many others out there.
For example, years ago there were dozens of exhaust choices. Now mostly good ones remain. But there will always be the cheap ebay cans that no one here talks about.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:03 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

OK so when I ordered my RS mounts from ECS, they said they would ship out in 4 days. Got an update today they wouldn't ship out until the 24th of june. Don't want to be without my car for a month. Cancelled the RS mounts and ordered a set of OEM Porsche mounts from Porsche. Should be here in a few days! Cheap too!
Old 06-05-2014, 12:28 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shoulda bought the wevos.
The difference in how much tighter the shifts are is pretty amazing.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:32 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Had wevos. Didn't like them!
Old 06-05-2014, 12:38 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

So do you know what caused the mount to break? Do you remember any incident that may have led to the failure?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:52 AM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

OK so when I ordered my RS mounts from ECS, they said they would ship out in 4 days. Got an update today they wouldn't ship out until the 24th of june. Don't want to be without my car for a month. Cancelled the RS mounts and ordered a set of OEM Porsche mounts from Porsche. Should be here in a few days! Cheap too!
I've had so many bad experiences with ECS that I won't ever do business with them. IMO, ECS = Extra Crappy Stuff or Extraordinary Crummy Service.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:36 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BradB
So do you know what caused the mount to break? Do you remember any incident that may have led to the failure?
Absolutely nothing. Cannot remember anything that might have caused the failure!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:34 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I apologize for the problem with your order. It appears one of the mounting bolts was out of stock in the US and would have had to come from Germany. If I had known, I could have sold you the kit without the new mounting bolts (they are the same as on your original mounts, so I assume you could reuse those), and it would have shipped out within 4 days, no problem. In any case, I hope you get back on the road soon

Quick Reply: Broken motor mount?