Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is my dream slipping away from me because of the increasing prices of 993s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 04:02 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
that 190K c4s looks pretty good in the ad... Recent rebuild, aero kit, etc...
Now add in what kind of transaxle you've got post-150K miles. Sure looks like that car is rockin' its original ride height. Brake rotors didn't look too spiffy. Etc. etc. Depending on who did the "rebuild" it actually might be a negative.

Bottom line is that you can detail up pretty much anything. ~$2K will get mine looking better than most 60-70K mile cars out there. Honestly, half the reason I'm not selling it is that I'm embarrassed what I would get, cuz in my mind it's one step from going down the track rat slope.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by rg0115
Wow, thank you so much for everyone’s advice. I knew this was the right place to post. Very cool to see so many people take the time to write back to me. Much appreciated. All your suggestions are great advice and I will consider them all. First order of business

1.Get my finances straightened out. I already talk to the bank and look at the some options, but I have to lock it down.

2.Keep stashing more money aside each month.

3.Start looking more aggressively at NB and try to drive more. Unfortunately, not many in the Louisville area for sale. At least I haven’t' seen one go on sale in year. I do travel a bit, and always try to find one in the area I am.

4.Stay away from 76 years. Needless to say, would have been cool to have a car build in the year I was born.

5.Take another look at local friend’s car that is willing to sell his 89 Carrera it’s white and a convertible. Very nice condition. But I have to be honest, not really wanting to get myself into a convertible.

6.And of course, go nuts online and take a look at everything that comes close to what I am looking at. Don’t miss out, and look every day.

7.Visit this site daily and see if other member are selling theirs. I would prefer to buy a car from someone that takes good care of the car and understands what I am going thought.

You guys are AWESOME. Thank you so much. I look forward to spending more time on the forum and reading on the great stories and DIY.
Stay on the path you have chosen for a "S".....

Only alternative would be a 1990-1004 964 coupe or a 1995-1998 993 carrera... both give you ABS brakes and coil spring suspension....
Old 06-03-2014, 10:28 PM
stpatsday
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by therossinator
Keep on searching and never give up. I refreshed car websites hourly for weeks until I found one near me that I could afford. It's all about luck: preparation meeting opportunity. You can only control one.
probably the best free advice you can ever get on this subject.

Happy hunting!
Old 06-04-2014, 01:21 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I just put a deposit on a 993.

Ironically, was watching wheeler dealer, got the itch, did a quick search and found one literally in my back yard.

I probably could not have hand picked one better for my wife.
Wasn't sure she would even be interested but after she saw it,
We pounced on it.

Blind luck.

Mike
Old 06-04-2014, 02:27 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Sounds like you are ready to go all in and move aggressively, even if you're overextending yourself. Economize elsewhere? Set aside even $1500/mo., and reassess in a year? (If the market goes that nuts, leaving you further behind, oh well.)

Ultimately, the financially conscious side of me thinks guys are nuts for buying a 20 year old car that will tap into anything more than spare change you find in your sofa cushions. But I was an 18 year old who once spent every dollar I had on a 911............
My vote is to economize elsewhere. I chose to continue driving an older car with higher mileage to make this happen, and I do all of by own maintenance (so far) which makes it more affordable to own. I could have easily financially conscioused (made that up) myself right into retirement and never achieved my dream. I stretched and I have no regrets.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FabianS
^ seamless, would that local C4 be the one I have by chance?
Yes, beautiful car but I'm not cool enough for red
Old 06-04-2014, 09:46 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
What is a "normal 993 C4S motor" and how does it differ from the replacement engine the owner installed which happens to be from a Targa?
The stock motor.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:38 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Owning an RS, I'm not quite sure what the fuss of the S models is all about
Old 06-04-2014, 05:06 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by RS man
Owning an RS, I'm not quite sure what the fuss of the S models is all about
Some guys have all the luck.

Then again, it's sunny and warm over 300 days here in Southern California, so it's always driving weather here.

How's the rain in Scotland these days?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:14 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Some guys have all the luck. Then again, it's sunny and warm over 300 days here in Southern California, so it's always driving weather here. How's the rain in Scotland these days?
Scotland is perfect for garage queens.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:39 PM
dboeren
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've dreamed about owning a Porsche 911 since I was a kid, and now at 42 I've got the opportunity to try to fulfill that dream. But, the prices are on the rise and my wife isn't sure if it wouldn't be better to wait until next year. Well, then the prices will be even higher!

Don't worry, I'm not in competition for your wide body. Rather, I'm looking for a C2/C4 in a color I like and tasteful performance mods. Tails are acceptable but not required. Guards Red is always nice, so's the slate grey on one of the cab's currently for sale. Silver seems rather boring though. I'd like to try a DE event sometime, so I feel like a Coupe is the best fit. Cabs need a roll bar to play on most tracks and I don't trust the 993 Targa - keep hearing about how complex and expensive to fix that roof is. If they'd just stuck to the 964 style Targa I'd consider that.

I work from home so I won't be putting a ton of miles on it, I just want to enjoy the car.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dboeren

I work from home so I won't be putting a ton of miles on it, I just want to enjoy the car.
I take bus to work and have second car...and still managed to put 7k in my first year of ownership. Driving this car on twisties or DE is what it's all about.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:18 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Some guys have all the luck.

Then again, it's sunny and warm over 300 days here in Southern California, so it's always driving weather here.

How's the rain in Scotland these days?
As bad as ever - worse this year than last. Found new hobby so will be spending less time driving the RS...
Old 06-04-2014, 08:20 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
Scotland is perfect for garage queens.
As goofball said, I rather drive it than tuck it away in garage.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:20 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by dboeren
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've dreamed about owning a Porsche 911 since I was a kid, and now at 42 I've got the opportunity to try to fulfill that dream. But, the prices are on the rise and my wife isn't sure if it wouldn't be better to wait until next year. Well, then the prices will be even higher! Don't worry, I'm not in competition for your wide body. Rather, I'm looking for a C2/C4 in a color I like and tasteful performance mods. Tails are acceptable but not required. Guards Red is always nice, so's the slate grey on one of the cab's currently for sale. Silver seems rather boring though. I'd like to try a DE event sometime, so I feel like a Coupe is the best fit. Cabs need a roll bar to play on most tracks and I don't trust the 993 Targa - keep hearing about how complex and expensive to fix that roof is. If they'd just stuck to the 964 style Targa I'd consider that. I work from home so I won't be putting a ton of miles on it, I just want to enjoy the car.
In the same boat here, although I did own a couple back in the nineties. Looking to get back into one - a 993 is the goal, but as the prices go up & my budget will not be ready until the end of the year, I may be looking at an earlier model or possibly a Cayman S (I know - very different but I do like them). Any
Way I'm watching them like crazy & we'll see what happens. Good luck to you guys!

Quick Reply: Is my dream slipping away from me because of the increasing prices of 993s?