Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is my dream slipping away from me because of the increasing prices of 993s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:29 PM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
That's what she said!
Living up to your title, I see.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:39 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts
Default No perfect dream....

Ah yes...the humor this site can produce....(good one Senior Goofball Superior)! Searching and dreaming of the end result are the best part of the hunt. I am fortunate to have recently spent more money than I should have on a larger posterior 4S, however, after being on this forum lately, I see many attractive NB's that could have saved me "envy money". Your dream is in reach, just consider taking a different road and look for a well maintained 993...count the cash, pay attention to all the sales sites as mentioned prior, and be like a cobra ready to strike!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:47 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Ditto with what everyone said. I had to go to Chicago to get my car and I pounced hard on it as soon as it was listed for $40,500 with 59K mi (high at the time) 11 years ago (96 C4S). Local cars were over $50k.

I'd hold out for what you want though. Some say $1500 yr on maintenance but it could be closer to $3k-5K some years, easily, if you don't work on it yourself like me. I know you work on your 01 740il (I had 3 740i's myself) but this isn't an E38. It may be much harder for you to work on, or not.

In any case, for me, the looking wasn't really that much fun. Highly stressful actually. The owning has been MUCH more enjoyable. They'd have to pull my dead and dying hands from my car, and I'm ALWAYS spending money, big money, to have stuff fixed on it. It's worth it to me.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by therossinator
Am I the only one who looks at a 993 picture and can't honestly tell if its a WB or NB without looking at the badge? It may just be me, but those 3 inches are very subtle.
look at the sills...don't rely on the badge. Add motion into the mix, and it can be even harder to determine what you just saw. Both NB and WB, are beautiful cars, when set up properly, and running well...they are pure joy to drive. Once behind the wheel, I don't believe you'll care about the difference in sheetmetal.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:14 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Get NB if you are after driving and 911/air-cooled experience. If you are after looking at it, get a 1:18 model or a poster.

P.S. Although I do have WB, that was the best condition car that I found in my area. I was ready to go check out $30k NB cab. I would look for the best condion you can find/afford. Looking for just WB significanly limits your choices even if you have $55-60k to spend.

Last edited by NYC993; 06-03-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:28 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

If you want the S, then you must go for the S.

High mile driver quality examples do exist in the low 40s.. There was a 1997 C4S this weekend on Rennlist for sale @ $37k.

Keep saving and keep hunting.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by boman993
You're missing a CRAZY deal in the member's classifieds right now.. 1997 C4S with 75K miles for $37K....MADNESS!!!! Owner doesn't know what he's got, doesn't know the current air-cooled market, or doesn't care (fire sale)... It's $15K too cheap.
I'm not the only one who thinks this is priced about right for being:

- a 3rd owner car, used for DE events
- doesn't appear to have all stock parts
- has a replacement motor which isn't the normal 993 C4S motor
- being a 10' footer car as atested by the seller
- has had some re-paint

I'm not trying to start a debate but there's no way IMO that this is a $50k car in its present state. I personally know of two other 993's recently bought by Rennlisters that are widebodied cars and they paid less than $40k months ago.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default A 1976 911???? Really?

The 1975 and the 1976 cars are hamstrung with a funky emissions system, thermal reactors. As a result, the engines ran hot....many were plagued with failed head studs. The only 1976 worth buying may be a 912 E, greatly underpowered, but potentially cheap.

To be candid here, the 993 may not be the best Porsche starter car. If you want the flat 6 experience, perhaps a 3.0 78 -83 SC would be a good start....get one of these for under $20,000. Motors have been know to last up to 300,000..

Or, a 3.2 84 to 89 Carrera....87 - 89 have the later G-50 tranny and a hydraulic clutch. A good one of these will be in the highest price. The 84 - 86 with the older style 915 tranny will be cheaper, but still in the $20s.

The 65 - 68...pretty darn old car...the 69 to 73, T, E, S, spendy now.

But The Used 911 Story by Pete Zimmerman...this little book will give you great insight on all the 911 models and what to look for, what to avoid. Good luck with the search.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I was in the exact same 'boat' as you. I dreamed about a WB 993 for years.

I was seriously looking for about 1.5 years. I had given up on the WB dream and also given up on finding one here in Canada. I actually passed on a local C4 in the wrong color (imo).

Then, one day browsing the pages of Kijiji, I found an ad for a 1996 C4S. I called the seller immediately and placed a deposit on the car the same day. After everything checked out (PPI) I flew out west and drove home.

Some say I 'stole' the car for what I paid as it is clean and all original. I say I paid what the seller was asking

It will happen, just be patient and have money ready. Someone previously said to save $1500/month and wait - good advice.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Forgot a bargain...

The 1974 911 and 911S (I believe with the same 2.7 motor unfortunately)...the good news, the 74 has a simple emissions system compared to the 75 - 77 cars, an air pump system. And you are getting a magnesium motor and transmission case (Porsche went to aluminum with the advent of the 930 motor...the basic case seen on the SC. ) In some states, California, 1974 and older cars are exempt from emissions testing.

For this reason they are a great donor car for a later model motor, let's sat a 3.0 or 3.2, maybe even a 964/993 3.6 motor if you want a rocket ship. I have ridden in a 84 Carrera with a 993 motor, oh lawdy was that car fast. The basic 84 Carrera weighs in at about 2,500 Lbs...compare that to 3,200 on the 993.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:38 AM
FabianS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ seamless, would that local C4 be the one I have by chance?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
If you want the S, then you must go for the S.
+993 S

Make me a decent offer on my '98 C4S so that I can buy this car:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...42531078&Log=0

A relative bargain at $159K IMHO. Considering making an offer for the Turbo S and his C2S just so that I can round out my WB collection
Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Academictech
+993 S

Make me a decent offer on my '98 C4S so that I can buy this car:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...42531078&Log=0

A relative bargain at $159K IMHO. Considering making an offer for the Turbo S and his C2S just so that I can round out my WB collection
That car has been listed for at least 6 months. I'm gonna guess that it is either sold or a scam.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:53 AM
rg0115
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow, thank you so much for everyone’s advice. I knew this was the right place to post. Very cool to see so many people take the time to write back to me. Much appreciated. All your suggestions are great advice and I will consider them all. First order of business

1.Get my finances straightened out. I already talk to the bank and look at the some options, but I have to lock it down.

2.Keep stashing more money aside each month.

3.Start looking more aggressively at NB and try to drive more. Unfortunately, not many in the Louisville area for sale. At least I haven’t' seen one go on sale in year. I do travel a bit, and always try to find one in the area I am.

4.Stay away from 76 years. Needless to say, would have been cool to have a car build in the year I was born.

5.Take another look at local friend’s car that is willing to sell his 89 Carrera it’s white and a convertible. Very nice condition. But I have to be honest, not really wanting to get myself into a convertible.

6.And of course, go nuts online and take a look at everything that comes close to what I am looking at. Don’t miss out, and look every day.

7.Visit this site daily and see if other member are selling theirs. I would prefer to buy a car from someone that takes good care of the car and understands what I am going thought.

You guys are AWESOME. Thank you so much. I look forward to spending more time on the forum and reading on the great stories and DIY.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:15 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm going to be a complete contrarian here. I was in your shoes, really wanted a 911 and thought (and still believe) that the 993 is the best looking one by far (which it is.) So I got my stack of cash in order and was lucky enough to have two locally to choose from (although then didn't choose fast enough, so I happily bought the one left over). That was about a year ago.

I've really, really enjoyed driving it since then. I've not enjoyed the maintenancecosts (I lack skills, but have a good mechanic). But now in retrospect, I know that I could have bought a newer car for less money that would (potentially) cost less to maintain, without three oil gauges to puzzle over, could easily put a child-car-seat into, and so on.

Of course, I'm in the position where I *have* been driving a 993 for a year.

My point is that at some point you should seriously evaluate what you want, and why, and what it will cost you. I would start by test-driving every car you can get your hands on, even if it isn't a WB 993, and then seriously evaluate the experience afterwards. You want a Porsche - does it need to be a 993? You might be able to afford a lower-mileage 996 now. When you have your 993 money saved up, you might be able to afford a 997. Think about what you will use it for, and why you want it.

Finally, I think you said that you have a family. So do I. This is my "fun" car, and I'm fortunate that I was able to save enough to buy it, and have a wife who wanted me to buy my life-long dream car. But it's not a family car, even though I do cart my child around in it. I would strongly discourage you from taking out a loan for a toy. You're a man with responsibilities and people who depend on you. You can indulge and enjoy your passion for Porsche in a lot of other ways if your stable financial situation precludes you from owning one, and no one would look down on for making that smart decision.

Quick Reply: Is my dream slipping away from me because of the increasing prices of 993s?