Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

RS Motor Mounts – My Turn

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 06:58 AM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Call Bob @ "Sunset Porsche" I DIY'ed a few weeks ago.....mounts $99 ea. + attaching hardware .
&
+ 15%

Last edited by p_carfan; 08-06-2003 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:30 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DJF1
Anyone for a group buy?
Danny - please add me to the list for RS motor and tranny mounts. thanks!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:34 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI

Bottom nut is 19mm, not 18.

I agree, noise does decrease after the first 200 miles.

Most of the noise increase are resonances when the airconditioning compressor is on.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:32 AM
96P993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be in for engine mounts....
Old 08-06-2003, 10:03 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

If someone does a DIY for the tranny mount, I'll take one (just a tranny mount, as I already have the motor mounts).

I get conflicting answers from different people about their install. Some say the tranny needs come out, other say you can just disconnect one section and press it out. Which leads to my other question, how hard is it to press out?

George

Last edited by George A; 08-06-2003 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:16 AM
Chuck A.
Pro

I'm in for the motor mounts...
Old 08-06-2003, 10:58 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

>Most of the noise increase are resonances when the airconditioning compressor is on.

Ah ha !!!! Thanks for this tidbit !!! My A/C has been making a really weird noise (like a vibe-sound coming thru a hollow tube) since I put in the RS engine mounts and I could not figure out why that was, I had not made the connection between the 2! That is pretty noticeable under 3000 rpm for me. Above, you can't tell anymore so it's OK. I was almost worried about it ! Thanks for sharing !
Old 08-06-2003, 11:29 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So to recap....
Here is what we got so far...

1. Jeff993TT ?
2. Graham Mitchell ?
3. DJF1 x 2 ( yeah 2 cars damn it!)
4. Phil McGrath
5. ApexL8
6. Icerborf (?)
7. Rezal (?)
8. Matt V
9. Greg Fishman
10. Jascha
11. 993Power
12. Kristoffer
13. Rick
14. RL
15. Sputnik
16. GratefulJed
17. Jeff96

So if all are in then we are looking at 18 pairs of RS motormounts. Not bad at all... Let me know if anyone wants to join so I can start calling in the morning...
Count me in too!

Looks like it's going to be more than 20 of us and if Steve got them for $99 a piece from Suncoast we should be able to do better!
Old 08-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Flying Finn,

I think Steve mentioned Sunset (the one in Oregon), not Suncoast (the one in FL).

Funny thing is that when I called a few weeks ago, I got quoted $115. Maybe it's $99 invoice + 15% = $115? Remember, you also need to get all the associated nuts, bolts and washers. I think my total came to around $280-290, excluding shipping. I never got around to confirming the order when another shopping list came up for the DE. Gert's price based on today's exchange rate is at $278 and that includes shipping.

So, yes, I'm in. Let's see if we can get the price down to less than $250!
Old 08-06-2003, 01:12 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Rezal

IIRC, talking to Sunset a few weeks ago, the motormounts have a new part number:
964.375.043.81 (instead of 964.375.043.80)
Hmmm… I have the …80’s. I wonder what the difference is. Perhaps whoever arranges the group buy can investigate this.

Originally posted by Glen
Heads up on RS motor mounts, please make sure to torque the lower nut to spec as they have been known to back off and let one half of the motor drag at very inopportune times. Make sure to use a fresh aircraft style nut or double nut them if you can. I believe it is from the sustained increase in vibration they are exposed to.
Good point. This is why I used a thread locker. I also bought new nuts, rather than use the old ones. I don’t think there are enough threads to double nut them.

Originally posted by Sputnik
Would someone please explain what causes the change in sound? How do RS motor mounts change the sound and even throttle response of the car?
Motors vibrate a lot, due to all the mechanical things inside them. Just put your hand on an idling motor to feel it. Motor mounts isolate this, so that the chassis doesn’t vibrate. The RS mounts are stiffer, so more vibration gets transmitted to the chassis. The chassis then acts like a speaker and changes the vibrations into sound waves.

You remember Newton, right? For each force there is an equal and opposite one. When your engine turns the flywheel one direction, there is an equal force trying to turn the engine the other direction. Since the motor is attached to the car, it can’t turn, and all the force goes down the drive shaft. However, with worn mounts, the engine does turn a bit in the opposite direction of the flywheel. When you hit the gas, the first thing that happens is the engine itself rotates in the chassis. It compresses the mount on one side, and expands the mount on the other. No force goes down the driveshaft until one mount is compresses as far as it can go. With stiffer mounts, the force goes down the driveshaft immediately.

Originally posted by GJ
FYI

Bottom nut is 19mm, not 18.

I agree, noise does decrease after the first 200 miles.

Most of the noise increase are resonances when the airconditioning compressor is on.
Perhaps there are different sized nuts. I had to go out and buy an 18mm 1/2“ drive deep socket for the nuts that came with my mounts.

I heard an increase noise with the A/C on, but even with it off, there is more noise.

Originally posted by George A
If someone does a DIY for the tranny mount, I'll take one (just a tranny mount, as I already have the motor mounts).

I get conflicting answers from different people about their install. Some say the tranny needs come out, other say you can just disconnect one section and press it out. Which leads to my other question, how hard is it to press out?

George
Me too, depending on the cost and ease of the DIY. I would think you could remove the lower cross member and press the old mount out without removing the tranny, as long as the pressing tool would fit in there. I’d have to add the cost of the tool to this as well, as I don’t have anything that would do it.

Tom
’95 993
Old 08-06-2003, 01:26 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Rezal-

Your exzactly correct......I went back and took a look at the invoice, total mounts, all new hardware. (Sunset) $285 a set + shipping .
Old 08-06-2003, 01:30 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

So to recap....
Here is what we got so far...

1. thru 17.

So if all are in then we are looking at 18 pairs of RS motormounts. Not bad at all... Let me know if anyone wants to join so I can start calling in the morning.

DJF1,
If this group buy goes through (and momentum seems to be building), do you think it should be in the form of a "kit" with all the new mounting hardware included? It would save a trip to the dealer for new nuts and bolts. Just a thought.

I'm in either way.

Quick Reply: RS Motor Mounts – My Turn