Sponsored by: DashLynx

SAI issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:10 AM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAI issue

I took my 96 993 to a recommended shop for a SAI flush. I had 4 out of 6 ports clogged as per the mechanic. He reportered that all ports were now clear and I should be good to go. While doing a drive cycle this morning to try and reset the readiness monitors I got a check engine light. Malfunction in the SAI circuit. I need some suggestions on what might be amiss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:24 AM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

It would help if you would post the codes that are being thrown.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:00 AM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, po0410. Secondary air circuit malfunction
Old 05-31-2014, 11:04 AM
Sutts74
Track Day

Was a new check valve installed as well? Further up from the check valve is the cut of valve there is a small vac hose on the back side that sometimes comes off after doing work in that area. You will have to remove the airbox to check it.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:24 AM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Yes, a new check valve was installed. He gave me the old one.
Thanks, that's what I need. A place to start. Again thanks.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:12 PM
SwayBar
Drifting

Were you able to verify in person that all ports were cleared?

When you first start the engine, can you hear the air-pump operate? It will make an unmistakable whining noise.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:17 PM
SwayBar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sutts74
You will have to remove the airbox to check it.
Re-installing the airbox was the most difficult part of the job for me; it's tricky, for me at least.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:30 PM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Yes, I can hear the pump operating. No, I did not see if all ports were cleared.
I did not have a cel before I had the flush done.
I drove the car about 250 miles and a total of five start ups after I picked it up from the mechanic. This morning on the end of my drive cycle just before letting it idle for the five minute part it threw a cel.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:37 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a vacuum line which connects to another valve just above the check valve. The vacuum line is often knocked off when replacing the SAI check valve.

If you have a OBDII reader which shows O2 sensor readings, you can see when the pump is running if the 02 settings are reporting the air flow from the pump.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:08 PM
wtmmm
Instructor

I'll be following this thread since I had a similar situation. Are you only seeing one code?

My car had CEL come on with both P1411 and P0410 codes. My local shop cleaned out all ports and replaced the check valve. I saw a few ports that we cleaned while they were doing it. I didn't personally see that all were cleaned but I do believe they actually did clean all of them.

Anyway, after about 100 miles, the CEL came back on with both codes. I've cleared and this has repeated about 4 times every 100 miles, again with both codes at the same time.

Here is a link that Mike J sent me showing the pig tail vacuum line suggested:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...411-p0410.html
Old 05-31-2014, 01:19 PM
wtmmm
Instructor

And here is another response (also from Mike J - nice guy!) to someone else having both codes after cleaning ports and replacing check valve:

I had the same issue about a year ago and spent a lot of money trying to fix it so here is my advice from what I learned for what it's worth. First off determine if you secondary air pump is working by listening for a vacuum cleaner sound on the passenger side of the motor on start up. It should run for a couple of minutes then stop. It is good news if it is working because that indicates the pump is not faulty. Next find someone who knows how to do a smoke test and have them smoke test the motor where the SAP hoses and diaphragms are. There is one hose and diaphragm under the driver's side intake manifold (that is where my problem was, a hose had become disconnected from the diaphragm) and another bellows shaped hose that connects to the vacuum tank that gets brittle and cracks. the vacuum tank can also become brittle and crack so check to see that it is holding a vacuum. The diaphragms can malfunction so if no vacuum leak is detected from the smoke test then they will have to be tested for activation. Let us know what you find.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:26 PM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by flying_low
There is a vacuum line which connects to another valve just above the check valve. The vacuum line is often knocked off when replacing the SAI check valve.

If you have a OBDII reader which shows O2 sensor readings, you can see when the pump is running if the 02 settings are reporting the air flow from the pump.
My reader showed one flag ( or ball) flashing while the car was running and it was the one labeled "O".
Old 06-07-2014, 04:32 PM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Update.....finally found the time to remove my air filter unit and sure enough the entire hose had come off the check valve. I have to guess the mechanic never tightened the clamp. Reassembly of the air cleaner unit is challenging but I succeeded. Cleared the code and went for a drive. So far so good.
Thanks all for the info and knowledge.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:20 PM
SwayBar
Drifting

Originally Posted by goldcountryboy
Update.....finally found the time to remove my air filter unit and sure enough the entire hose had come off the check valve. I have to guess the mechanic never tightened the clamp. Reassembly of the air cleaner unit is challenging but I succeeded. Cleared the code and went for a drive. So far so good.
Congratulations, and good job!

Now you must set your readiness codes. Follow this exactly:

https://rennlist.com/forums/6806649-post11.html

Mine reset on the first try, and I was very careful to never exceed 3000 RPM, nor exceed 60 mph.

While idling at the end, my codes set in about one minute.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by goldcountryboy
My reader showed one flag ( or ball) flashing while the car was running and it was the one labeled "O".
I am chasing this down myself. My reader, Actron 9180, shows a single code, P1411, but my mechanic has a Bosch hammer, and it shows p0410 and p 1411. Going to do the smoke test on Tuesday.

Moral of the story is, apparently some readers do not show both codes. I was prepared to do the top end, which still could be the case, but there are other less expensive potential causes to b checked first.

Strange as I have seen both the 1411 and 0410, but on separate occasions.

Last edited by Kika; 06-07-2014 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: SAI issue