Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Lojack Alternative and Other Theft Deterrents

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 04:06 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with Viper security systems?

With all these 993 thefts in California, I'm getting a little paranoid too. Add in the fact that I don't have key-less entry and the Viper SmartStart Security system looks tempting. Yes there is a monthly fee, but at about $8/mo I think it is worth the peace-of-mind and convenience.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:07 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on the given assumption here, that the vehicle VIN might be used to duplicate keys and fobs, why not cover the VIN which would deny the opportunity of a visitor wandering by the car and taking notes??
Just a thought……..

Rick
Old 05-27-2014, 05:43 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

I prefer the 'Trunk Monkey'
Old 05-27-2014, 06:09 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
Physical locks on the steering wheel are useless. You can just cut the steering wheel to take it off.
This one is a little different. You will likely need an actylene torch to cut it off. It cannot be just pried off. In any case you cannot cut the steering wheel as it completely covers the SW so no access.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:13 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNS
One thing not mentioned yet every car has is the steering wheel lock. Remove your key from the ignition and turn the steering wheel 'till it locks. Yes, it can be overcome but it is an extra pain in the *** for the thief to work with and may slow him down a bit.

A "Club" for the steering wheel is also easily bypassed but is one more layer that a thief will have to negotiate. Most insurance companies still recommend them.
Club is a waste of time, they can be easily defeated. The Disklok just rotates freely so you cannot steer the car effectively. The handle also gets blocked by the centre console so it will stop turning at this point so that a thief who tries to steer by holding the wheel and the disk (which is already very difficult) cannot do so. The downside of the Disklok is that it is cumbersome and takes up space and is bloody heavy to boot - but it works.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:41 PM
sukhvirk150
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had similar feelings towards LoJack.

Me and a few buddies are working on a turn key alternative. If anyone's interested, we'd love to hear from you.

You can check this page for a bit more info.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:58 PM
aclark133
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
Has anyone had good or bad experiences with Viper security systems? With all these 993 thefts in California, I'm getting a little paranoid too. Add in the fact that I don't have key-less entry and the Viper SmartStart Security system looks tempting. Yes there is a monthly fee, but at about $8/mo I think it is worth the peace-of-mind and convenience.
This looks like something to look into
Old 12-04-2014, 08:54 AM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should also look into agreed value insurance. There are restrictions on how much driving they allow, some more lienient than others. Chubb (no affiliation) is pretty flexible allowing you to make trips without having to justify hobby purpose. Not intended for daily driving but they understand these cars must be driven.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:41 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Auto Taser
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2014, 10:39 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread made me remember this cutie from the 90's.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:06 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I take my DME relay and fuse 26 (fuel pump) with me.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:54 AM
GeoSkyGPS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GeoSkyGPS tracking solution

Hi All,

The short answer is we have what you are asking for a GPS tracking unit that will set a zone around your vehicle and if the door is opened or the vehicle is moved or towed away it will alert you via SMS Message.

At any time you can send an SMS message to your vehicle and it will tell you where it is, how fast it is going and in what direction.

We have developed an Ap for Android devices and are currently working on one for Apple devices, and you can send commands via SMS to your device.

The long answer:

We originally developed this for tracking enclosed trailers as I have had several friends lose their racing rig with their car to thieves. So we developed a solution that sends a text message to a smartphone proactively notifying the vehicle owner that their trailer was being moved or accessed. I went to see one of our trailer manufacture clients and ran into the Editor for Porsche Panorama Magazine, Pete Stout who was very interested in the vehicle version I am telling you about in this post.

A good friend and Porsche owner saw this post and told me about it, and asked me to respond so here we are!

Our vehicle version will notify you of doors opening, and can be tied into the hood and trunk. It features an accelerometer, a sensitive GPS antenna, an internal rechargeable battery and a data and SMS interface. The accelerometer senses movement, the GPS antenna helps in providing very accurate location services and the internal battery will notify you if power is lost to the vehicle or if the unit is removed, as it will continue to work even if the battery in the vehicle is disconnected. As a side note it will also let you know if your vehicle battery gets low. The Data connection will work with our mapping software and SMS messaging for immediate notification of a change in status.

Our vehicle version also supports a "valet" function that will allow the vehicle to be driven under 35MPH within a 600 foot radius.

We offer an OBD plug in unit as well that will not sense doors opening but will provide all the other capabilities listed above without having to modify the wiring harness of your vehicle and it plugs into the OBD port.

If you are interested in purchasing our solution please feel free to contact me for more information via PM or at ron@geoskygps.com. I will offer the rennlist forum a special introductory offer for our tracking solution. just tell me you heard about us here.

I am sure you will see additional information in Panorama Magazine soon as well, and you can check out our website, www.geoskygps.com.

Happy Motoring!

Ron Carter
President
GeoSkyGPS, Inc.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:00 AM
GeoSkyGPS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to add that our system can be armed via the Ap or can passively arm after the vehicle has sat for a period of time. It does not make "noise" and is the size of a deck of cards, and is non descript and black in color.

Best,

Ron
Old 12-05-2014, 08:41 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Does anyone know how many 993 were stolen in the last year or so and under what circumstances. ei: keys left in car? I was just wondering if it is a chicken little issue.

Last edited by pp000830; 12-07-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

I love the idea of GPS trackers, but honestly think that this will only work against "casual" car thieves and not car theft rings--who I think would be more likely the types who are going after our Porsches. Pro car thieves have tools which easily defeat GPS trackers by jamming their GSM (cell phone) signals.

Quick Reply: Lojack Alternative and Other Theft Deterrents