Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Lojack Alternative and Other Theft Deterrents

Old 05-25-2014, 11:33 AM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lojack Alternative and Other Theft Deterrents

With the recent reports of some of our 993's getting stolen, I've been thinking about a couple of possible theft deterrents:

1) Alternative to Lojack: unfortunately, Lojack isn't supported by the police in my area. I read about a GPS solution being available a few years ago, but haven't seen much of anything lately. Anyone know of a turn-key alternative to Lojack?

2) Cut-off switch: I know I can pull the DME relay, but that may get to be a PITA after a while. Any ideas for a simple hidden cut-off switch mounted somewhere in the cabin, or other simple solution? My car does have the immobilizer, but it seems someone with a little knowledge can defeat that pretty easily.

FYI: If my car is stolen, I won't get back anywhere near the 'full value', since I've put quite a lot of money into it (darn that slippery slope!), which is another reason why I'm investigating other deterrents.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:36 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Physical lock on the steering wheel or detachable wheel (won't be factory though). There is a product called Disklok in UK - very heavy, very sturdy and difficult to break off but unless careful putting it on, you may mark the steering wheel.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:14 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems to me that a hidden GPS or Lojack is the only way to go. Pulling the DME relay or installing a battery cutoff switch doesn't stop a flatbed.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:21 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS man
Physical lock on the steering wheel or detachable wheel (won't be factory though). There is a product called Disklok in UK - very heavy, very sturdy and difficult to break off but unless careful putting it on, you may mark the steering wheel.
Should have said, in addition to tracking device.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:37 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I use. Works great.

Amazon.com : Sourcingbay Tracking Drive Vehicle Car Tracker Gps/gsm/gprs System : GPS & Navigation Amazon.com : Sourcingbay Tracking Drive Vehicle Car Tracker Gps/gsm/gprs System : GPS & Navigation
Old 05-25-2014, 12:40 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
Seems to me that a hidden GPS or Lojack is the only way to go. Pulling the DME relay or installing a battery cutoff switch doesn't stop a flatbed.
Yes. And if it's a ring, only this method has the best chance to bust them helping your 993 brethren at the same time.

Except in these LA thefts someone previously suggested it could be from a common link, a bad egg at a service dept etc. if it was, that person could have opportunity to inspect the car at leisure, on multiple visits even and notice unusual wiring for low jack etc. While possible, I concede this would probably be extremely unlikely situation though, most mechs are enthusiasts too. But like that board game it could be anybody. Professor Plum, A janitor...
Old 05-25-2014, 01:15 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 210 Posts

1. You can pull the DME - kind of a PIA , but full proof to prevent the care from starting.

2. Tracking devices work, but doesn't really accomplish much - a smart thief who is going to flat bed your car will simply disconnect the battery to thwart that deterrent.

3. You are better of creating a "GPS tracking on board" decal - a lot cheaper and may deter a thief.

4. Best bet is have good insurance and not worry - otherwise why own the car.

I know lot of people who have museum quality cars - but they never drive them and are just keeping them nice for the next guy.

What's the point?
Old 05-25-2014, 02:34 PM
MACH993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree 100%. With all of the recent thefts, I upped my Hagerty agreed value by $10k last week so I can just drive and enjoy the damn thing and not worry about jumping through all of PITA anti-theft hoops.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:50 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crw

2. Tracking devices work, but doesn't really accomplish much - a smart thief who is going to flat bed your car will simply disconnect the battery to thwart that deterrent.
Usually has its own battery backup in case battery runs down so is incorrect
Old 05-27-2014, 11:33 AM
gridlock61
Racer

This appears interesting. Will the unit send you an SMS or email if the car is moved without your knowledge? Does it come with everything needed for installation?

I also found this one, that seems to use same basic unit, but includes other stuff: http://www.afterpartz.com/us/tk103b-...e-control.html.

Where did you mount unit and GPS antennae?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:36 AM
gridlock61
Racer

They also have this one: http://www.afterpartz.com/us/tk104-g...oof-shell.html, which has a built-in standby battery.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:12 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RS man
Physical locks on the steering wheel are useless. You can just cut the steering wheel to take it off.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:42 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

One thing not mentioned yet every car has is the steering wheel lock. Remove your key from the ignition and turn the steering wheel 'till it locks. Yes, it can be overcome but it is an extra pain in the *** for the thief to work with and may slow him down a bit.

A "Club" for the steering wheel is also easily bypassed but is one more layer that a thief will have to negotiate. Most insurance companies still recommend them.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:50 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the TK103B. And that one has a backup battery also. The device has a lot of little features, but all I did was connect the power and gps/cell service. You do have to buy a prepaid SIM card and have service. Then you can call the device and it sends you a text message back with the lad and long with a google maps link. It works pretty good. Just you got to find the perfect spot to hide it with getting good gps/GPRS connection.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:28 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Originally Posted by dmurchison
I have the TK103B. And that one has a backup battery also. The device has a lot of little features, but all I did was connect the power and gps/cell service. You do have to buy a prepaid SIM card and have service. Then you can call the device and it sends you a text message back with the lad and long with a google maps link. It works pretty good. Just you got to find the perfect spot to hide it with getting good gps/GPRS connection.
Ok, thanks. Do you just go to a Verizon/AT&T/etc. store to get a prepaid SIM card?

You mentioned that you call the device and it sends you lat/long; I want the device to do this automatically if the car is moved. Without this feature, the device is much less useful IMO. Do you know if it can do that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lojack Alternative and Other Theft Deterrents