Sponsored by:

supercups: factory vs fabspeed

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 11:24 PM
Mark97c2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercups: factory vs fabspeed

I tried using the search but all I find is info on one or the other...

so, what is the difference if any in sound and quality? I've seen people buy the fabspeed supercups than later "upgrade" to factory supercups, why? I assumed they were both the same almost but since a lot of people are doing it, there must be a reason...

The new fabspeed supercups now don't have fiberglass or baffles inside them anymore. I'm not too sure about the factory supercups...

TIA
Old 08-04-2003, 11:45 PM
Sputnik
Racer

I have Fabspeed Supercups. The quality of them is OK...if the metal pipe may have any quality... whole muffler is just a chromed tube...I do have the inserts in my closet...most of the time I don't use them...sometimes I plug them into the mufflers to lower the exhaust sound down...my neighbors are kinda sensitive to the noise
I am not sure why but those inserts are pretty lousy and under the low RPMs they are shaking inside of the cromed pipes producing metal noise. There is only one bolt per insert that holds them into the place...closer to the outside edge of the chromed pipe...but internal edge of the insert (the end closer to the front of the car) cannot be fixed by anything...there is only one bolt to hold whole insert. I've tried to pad some metal wool between the insert and the pipe...but over time the wool compressed and the inserts gained the "freedom" inside of the pipes....and annoying "metal shaking" sound reappeared.
If anyone know how to fix the inserts tight enough to avoid that shaking....please share with me your tricks!

Without the inserts the sound is too loud...with lowered door windows i probably can damage my hears...easily..especially on highway at left lane by driver side close to the cement wall..when the sound ricochets of the wall...brrrrr...

ahh...eyahh..I've never heard about factory supercups....I thought the all superscups in the world are from fabspeed....

Fabspeed - THE WORLD LEADER OF SUPERCUPS MUFFLERS WITH SHAKING INSERTS!!!! (no affiliations)
Old 08-05-2003, 12:27 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the only reason to upgrade would be to keep OEM and if you could get them real cheap on ebay that would be another reason - Joe does have baffles in his supercups - they are just not removable for the reasons Sputnik describes - perhaps Glen could chime in here on his factory supercups-
Old 08-05-2003, 12:57 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes that is me on ebay under the name porsche993c4s. The Cup pipes I have were installed by Andial on a 95 993 that was a RS conversion. The factory pipes were just a straight exit loop off the cat and straight out of the valance. The tips on the factory cup were just straight exit tips, these have a dressier tip installed by Andial. These have no baffle chamer and do not resonate. Mark as I mentioned the ones Joe Fawsitt have are very nice also, so either one will work well, I just like factory stuff!
Old 08-05-2003, 01:02 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glen - I don't recall seeing you offer those to us first - hect, with 8 days left you might get something like 3k for em!! All I can say is, ruff, ruff, your a DOG!!
Old 08-05-2003, 01:22 AM
Mark97c2
Intermediate

Originally posted by Glen
Yes that is me on ebay under the name porsche993c4s. The Cup pipes I have were installed by Andial on a 95 993 that was a RS conversion. The factory pipes were just a straight exit loop off the cat and straight out of the valance. The tips on the factory cup were just straight exit tips, these have a dressier tip installed by Andial. These have no baffle chamer and do not resonate. Mark as I mentioned the ones Joe Fawsitt have are very nice also, so either one will work well, I just like factory stuff!
hah, darnit glen, I sent like a million emails..well somewhere around that many..to you about your supercups but didn't get a response...oh well, I'm still deciding between fabspeeds and your factory supercups. The reason being, I took the right muffler off because I was changing ig wires, dis cap, ig rotor, and sparkplugs and after I did a "test" run with the muffler off and WHOAAAAAA, honestly it sounded amazing. So amazing that I drove around with it off for like 15 min. BTW, how do the factory supercups sound, I've never heard them before but I figured it would sound the same as the fabspeed since design is similar.

as for the baffles, Joe emailed me and said, "Our Supercups have been redesigned and there is no fiberglass or baffles in them anymore."

I'm still considering Fawsitt's cat backs.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:30 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Sputnik
...If anyone know how to fix the inserts tight enough to avoid that shaking....please share with me your tricks!
You can just bend the ond pieces a litlle (not the part of the end piece you see but the onther, where the baffle material starts).
Just take pliers or something and do few "bends" on beth ends and it will be a tight fit and the noise won't came back.
This is how my baffles were and they never rattled, since the day 2, they've been even more quiet though (they're in the storage).
Old 08-05-2003, 12:11 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Mark, sorry You didnt get my response, I copied Joe Fawsitt on one of them and he sent me an email so I figured You got your response. I sent You another detailing the differences. The Factory pipes do not have a spot for baffles as they are just the CupCar pieces with dressy tips put on by Andial. The Pipes Joe Fawsitt has are very nice and have custom baffles that were lathed down to fit the exact diameter and You can pack as much or as little baffle material in them to control the sound somewhat. I do not know who made them(Fawsitts), I believe they are an early Fabspeed model, but they have solid hangers(factory cups have no hangers and are shorter tubes, they just donut mount to the cats) and are very well made. In regard to how I have offered them and to who etc... I have offered a number of items on this board over the past couple of years and to be very honest it has been a bit frustrating. I recently posted my 3.8 RS motor for sale on this board, the 964 board , the performance mods board and the Racing board. Bill Gregory removed the posts from all but the 993 boards because he felt I was spamming the boards. I thought that all those boards were appropriate candidates for the 3.8 motor. I sold it in just a few days with one phone call to a very well known and respected Race Shop that races and crews at LeMans etc... I have posted a number of other items on here saying that I would sell them for best reasonable offer after a few days. After literally over a hundred email responses with questions that range from the valid to the questionable, the most irritating and time wasting always is "how much are You asking?"....Best Offer...I would still as a general rule have to put it on EBAY as I am not able to continue to respond without just getting the items sold. I am very hesitant at this point to put anything on the board for sale since the Bill Gregory spam comments, I enjoy this board and this community immensely and do not ever want my intentions misconstrued. My goal has always been to make everyone here aware of the experience that I have garnished over the years of playing with these cars. I figure that my experience and my spares can save this community lots of time and money as I have literally no profit motive when I am selling something regarding the car stuff on this board. There are a number of You that I have sold items to and I have asked for one thing from all of You. That is if I break down enroute to a race and am near You, I reserve the right to contact You for emergency assistance! I am now just letting my 15 yr old son photo and list items on ebay for me and I give him 10% towards his car fund from the sales. I hope that helps answer any of the questions and if any of You are pleased or displeased with your dealings with me, feel free to let me know on this thread. I will make it right and maintain or fulfill any commitments made to You. Thanks for Your time, sorry for the lengthy post. My warmest personal regards to all my friends out there .
Old 08-05-2003, 01:07 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Hi all,

I've exchanged emails with Glen a few times and also had a very good conversation with him on the phone. All I want to say is that he is very true on his words when he said:

"My goal has always been to make everyone here aware of the experience that I have garnished over the years of playing with these cars. I figure that my experience and my spares can save this community lots of time and money as I have literally no profit motive when I am selling something regarding the car stuff on this board."

I for one, am very impressed with his sincerity.

Thank you Glen...
Old 08-05-2003, 01:23 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

I for one am amazed that Glen has to defend or validate himself. In all my years of business, I have never delt with a more upstanding person then Glen. What people fail to realize is Glen is not doing this for profit, he is trying to help others out. The pitch to "make me a offer" is just that, what is it worth to you??? More often than not your offer is what he accepts. This man deals with big money for a living. $300, $600, $900.00 is chump change.I for one an glad Glen is part of Rennlist . Glen, if you ever breakdown within 400 miles of Chicago, I'll come pick you up myself!
Old 08-05-2003, 01:52 PM
Mark97c2
Intermediate

Originally posted by Glen
In regard to how I have offered them and to who etc... I have offered a number of items on this board over the past couple of years and to be very honest it has been a bit frustrating. I recently posted my 3.8 RS motor for sale on this board, the 964 board , the performance mods board and the Racing board. Bill Gregory removed the posts from all but the 993 boards because he felt I was spamming the boards. I thought that all those boards were appropriate candidates for the 3.8 motor. I sold it in just a few days with one phone call to a very well known and respected Race Shop that races and crews at LeMans etc... I have posted a number of other items on here saying that I would sell them for best reasonable offer after a few days. After literally over a hundred email responses with questions that range from the valid to the questionable, the most irritating and time wasting always is "how much are You asking?"....Best Offer...I would still as a general rule have to put it on EBAY as I am not able to continue to respond without just getting the items sold. I am very hesitant at this point to put anything on the board for sale since the Bill Gregory spam comments, I enjoy this board and this community immensely and do not ever want my intentions misconstrued. My goal has always been to make everyone here aware of the experience that I have garnished over the years of playing with these cars.
Hah. I was just yanking your chain too Glen, I only sent two emails tops.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:43 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Let me chime in here I own Glen's old Super Cup Copies. They are loud but very addictive. I rarely use the baffles they sound much cleaner without. I have run them on the track and street. They are presently forsale due to the purchase of a factory system. I had them chromed last winter to increase their cosmetic appeal.

Joseph Fawsitt

97' 993 RS Look
Too many mods to list but the G50/21 is the best!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

This post has been deleted due to it's blatent disregard of the self promotion rules associated with this community. You can access the rules here: http://www.rennlist.org/charter.htm and https://rennlist.com/nospam.htm .

www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 08-06-2003, 12:04 AM
Sputnik
Racer

Hi Joe,

What did you guys use to pack the inserts? The steel wool?
Old 08-06-2003, 02:30 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll chime in for Glen as well. Ranks up there with Robin in his business dealings and ethics. There are obvious spammers that come to these boards but for sure Glen is NOT one of them... Shame on the people who even thought about this...

Quick Reply: supercups: factory vs fabspeed