Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

SAI Clean out roadblock. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Sutts74
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've tried everything. This last port has consumed me now for 3 nights and all this morning and I am going to throw in the towel. I think I can be a good test subject for 5/6 ports fully clean and flowing. I have put on all new hardware and if I need to I can always try it again in the future. Thanks for all the advice and tips but I cant take laying on my back under the car for another minute. Ill report back if the check engine light comes back but feel pretty confident with the flow im getting from the 5 clear ones that ill be o.k .
Old 05-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

Looking forward to report but I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge about how long this fix lasts before the light comes back on. Is it pretty random or are you pretty much in the clear after doing this ? Asking because mechanic told me this was a short term fix (my light hasn't come on yet) and I'm wondering if he was trying to sell me on an eventual rebuild or if this method is just a band aid.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:34 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Shtootgart
I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge about how long this fix lasts before the light comes back on. Is it pretty random or are you pretty much in the clear after doing this ?
Oh its gonna come back on.

Asking because mechanic told me this was a short term fix (my light hasn't come on yet) and I'm wondering if he was trying to sell me on an eventual rebuild or if this method is just a band aid.
Really, oil consumption is the biggest teller of when your topend is due. Until that point is reached the SAI ports should just be cleaned and the car kept going IMO. Depending on how well they get cleaned (sorry OP I have thrown in the towel on stuff too) and how much you drive it could be months or years.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:35 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking forward to report but I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge about how long this fix lasts before the light comes back on. Is it pretty random or are you pretty much in the clear after doing this ? Asking because mechanic told me this was a short term fix (my light hasn't come on yet) and I'm wondering if he was trying to sell me on an eventual rebuild or if this method is just a band aid.
It depends on the car. It's definitely going to come back since it's a product of worn valve guides... If your car has excessive oil consumption, it will come back sooner than later. I think this is just what we have to deal with as 96+ 993 owners. Luckily the SAI system is related to emissions only and won't affect your car's performance when the light comes back.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:56 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Other good info can be found in Bruce7's post, here...
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...eck-valve.html
Old 05-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Sutts74
Track Day

The good news is my car doesn't consume that much oil and with 100k on it I believe this was the first cleaning of the ports. 5/6 cleared easily and the other one well you know the story. If I have to do it again it will be a breeze with the knowledge I gained and the excellent write ups on here.

So far this season installed fister 3s , cleaned isv valve and now the sai ports.

Can't say how appreciative I am of the diy posts and all the support I received from everyone.

Thanks again everyone!

Mike
Old 05-27-2014, 05:11 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 5/6 cleared about 10 years ago. The CEL comes back on in about 1000 miles. It will however pass inspection after the CEL is cleared and I do the OBDII test drive.

Quick Reply: SAI Clean out roadblock. Help!