Recaro SRDs ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 05:59 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts
Talking Recaro SRDs ?

My quest for replacement seats expanded to Recaro SRDs today after I realized they also come in "all black" and not just that silly color insert you see on most websites. My favs remain the Sparco Milanos, but for a lot less money and probably less weight also, those Recaros sound good and don't look too bad...

Except that the DIY in P-car mentions welding a seat belt buckle adapter and all that, making it a lot less palatable... You'd expect Recaro to make easy stuff for porsche (Recaro=Reutter Carrozerie, more or less =porsche, after all)...

Anybody done this mod recently ? Hoping Brey Krause or someone else came up with a new EZ-mount bracket or something... Is there no way around the welding ? Thanks !
Old 08-04-2003, 06:04 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg,
I am pretty sure that Robin's site www.p-car.com has a DIY for SRD's
Old 08-04-2003, 10:40 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

I know ;-) Re-read my post ;-) But the DIY was for a seat with already welded brackets, a second hand seat... Oh well... Can't afford them right now anyway, I'd better not think about it too much !
Old 08-04-2003, 11:21 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure this will work on SRD's, but on the Factory Speedster buckets (Recaros), the solution is a threaded bracket (part no. 24). This part sandwiches between the seat bracket and slider. If you do use this piece, you'll need to insert washers (part no. 27) at the other mounting points to level everything off. The threaded portion accepts the bolt used to attach the inboard belt receptacle to your seat. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2003, 11:42 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg:

I fabbed seat belt receiver mounts on Recaro rails for my SRD earlier this year. The parts are simple and any muffler shop with a MIG could weld them for you. It was basically a 1/8" structural grade steel plate with a grade 8 7/16-20 nut welded on. The main thing the ensure is that the plate is welded to the structural portion of the rail and can take the complete load of the belt system.

The biggest pain on the SRD was cutting the inside recline shaft off such that the trans tunnel carpet does not get wrecked. However, I think a lot of this for me was that I made my seats so low to the floor.

If you like, I could e-mail you some pictures of the brackets I fabbed. I used the basic recaro rails insead of the kitted seat brackets as they dropped the seats about an inch lower than I ever got out of the factory seats or premade Recaro brackets.

Hope this helped a little.

Quick Reply: Recaro SRDs ?