Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL, yet again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Stand by my post in an earlier thread: I have near zero trust in these factory recommendations for the older models. Until recently, they heartily endorsed low-viscosity and low-ZDDP oils for ALL MODELS. Not their problem, since they don't have to deal with excessive wear on their dime.

No qualifiers, no exceptions. The party line was that the new oils are just "better".

I am sure they are, but now all of the sudden we are supposed to run a 60 weight oil?

Whatever.

Sticking with Brad Penn at $4 a quart. V-Twin or Motul 300V if I am feeling fancy.

Matt
Old 05-09-2014, 10:14 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Garage Art ...

I ordered single can.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:29 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone here ever used Liqui-Moly oil? Apparently they mfg the oil in your "mobil 1" or license the chemical make up.....something like that. Anyway, the guy working on my track Boxster swears by it. German made, high ZDDP......

Just curious. I don't have enough experience with it yet to make any determinations. It' s weird consistency and color but apparently works well
Old 05-10-2014, 11:35 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Waaaay off topic ..

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Anyone here ever used Liqui-Moly oil? Edit/Delete text
The German oil brand Liqui-Moly is of a select few NA available oils which provide the 505.01 spec required for several of Volkswagen TDI engines; Pumpe Duse TDI, etc.
The 505.01 spec oils (not 505.00) incorporate an additive said to inhibit "oil shear" which results at the operation of the camshaft driven injection pump. Ala Pumpe Duse.

The full synthetic 505.01 spec SAE 5w-40 Pentosin brand oil is what our 1.9 (BRM) TDI has used since day one. 135k miles and no camshaft R&R on the horizon; a recent 130K mi. inspection during a timing belt R & R indicates minor wear consistent with mileage. Knock on wood.

Back on Topic:
The vehicle distributor VW of America would spec the incorrect oil SAE 10w-30 (for PD TDI use) for years with the NA dealership network following suit. Just ask a North American MY05.5 thru MY07 Golf/Jetta PD TDI owner. There is a significant early camshaft failure rate with incorrect oil and service interval as a root cause. A couple of TSBs attempt to remedy this... to late.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:18 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I read about this new oil a while back and was curious how much they'd charge for it... Now I know.

I'd be interested in sending a virgin sample to Blackstone for an analysis. That will tell us how good it really is. I suspect it's quite good, but is it worth the premium?
Yes these were my thoughts exactly...I think that if its as good as advertised it would be worth the premium. 50 bucks premium for the right oil is very worth it in my book.
There are still too many opinions and too many so called 'experts' that offer a variety of view points, so it would actually be nice to close this chapter.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Stand by my post in an earlier thread: I have near zero trust in these factory recommendations for the older models. Until recently, they heartily endorsed low-viscosity and low-ZDDP oils for ALL MODELS. Not their problem, since they don't have to deal with excessive wear on their dime.

No qualifiers, no exceptions. The party line was that the new oils are just "better".
Totally concur. I've seen what happens when one used that Mobil 1 0w-40 swill in air-cooled engines and its not pretty.

Porsche sacrificed their credibility on this subject, simply for the sake of expediency and I'll not trust them again for these applications.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:50 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Totally concur. I've seen what happens when one used that Mobil 1 0w-40 swill in air-cooled engines and its not pretty.

Porsche sacrificed their credibility on this subject, simply for the sake of expediency and I'll not trust them again for these applications.
Steve -
I've been waffling back and forth about which weight oil to use here in MN. Seriously, there are so many options, it is a bit dizzying.

I drive my car year round - 5 or 6 days a week. My annual mileage is under 10K miles. I don't track, DE, or AutoX my car. 85K miles on it now.

I used synthetic 10w-40 last year and over the winter we had a day where the -high- temperature was -14 F. Engine turned over slowly, but started as I expected after sitting outside all day.

The cold temperatures swayed me to purchase 0w-40 synthetic for my (due now) current oil change.

Are your comments about 0w-40 only directed at Mobil 1?
Can you recommend an oil weight for me given my driving pattern and climate?

My apologies to the OP for the thread-jacking!
Old 05-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I've seen what happens when one used that Mobil 1 0w-40 swill in air-cooled engines and its not pretty.
What happens???
Old 05-10-2014, 06:37 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Oil opinions can seem like circular discussions as no one has had, as they say in the advertisements, "an oil related engine failure" go figure?
Old 05-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. No
What happens???
Bad things.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:00 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Oil opinions can seem like circular discussions as no one has had, as they say in the advertisements, "an oil related engine failure" go figure?
That's why you don't ask owners of a single car, with singular usage, mileage and maintenance history. It's a fairly useless data point. You could run Mazola and get away with it for a while. Makes a lovely tempura too.

You ask someone that has opened up tens, or hundreds, of these engines for their experience correlating failure and premature wear patterns with the oils used.

Best,

Matt
Old 05-10-2014, 08:14 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Back in the day; 1998 .... Bruce Andersen, Excellence Technical Editor

Originally Posted by BesideTheBox
Edit/Delete text....
I used synthetic 10w-40 last year and over the winter we had a day where the -high- temperature was -14 F. Engine turned over slowly, but started as I expected after sitting outside all day.

The cold temperatures swayed me to purchase 0w-40 synthetic for my (due now) current oil change.
Back in the day of the 993s production years this question would come up.
The answer invariably was SAE 5W-30.
Something about the balance between leaking oil, lubrication and consumption through burning.

BesideTheBox - When you speak of neg -14F as a high temp of the day ... I hear ya. We lived in Minny for 3 years during a IT engagement. Cold baby cold. Took up ice fishing .. out the front door was Lake Harriett. Zero degree F is a heat wave ....

SAE 5w-30 was used in our UrS6, S4, 993 and wife's 986. Cold, man cold.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:35 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
The German oil brand Liqui-Moly is of a select few NA available oils which provide the 505.01 spec required for several of Volkswagen TDI engines; Pumpe Duse TDI, etc.
The 505.01 spec oils (not 505.00) incorporate an additive said to inhibit "oil shear" which results at the operation of the camshaft driven injection pump. Ala Pumpe Duse.

The full synthetic 505.01 spec SAE 5w-40 Pentosin brand oil is what our 1.9 (BRM) TDI has used since day one. 135k miles and no camshaft R&R on the horizon; a recent 130K mi. inspection during a timing belt R & R indicates minor wear consistent with mileage. Knock on wood.
So you're saying it's good stuff? But good for NA Pcars both water and aircooled?
I've not put it in my 993, but the wrench is putting it in my track Boxster ('02)
Old 05-11-2014, 03:29 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Back in the day of the 993s production years this question would come up.
The answer invariably was SAE 5W-30.
Something about the balance between leaking oil, lubrication and consumption through burning.

BesideTheBox - When you speak of neg -14F as a high temp of the day ... I hear ya. We lived in Minny for 3 years during a IT engagement. Cold baby cold. Took up ice fishing .. out the front door was Lake Harriett. Zero degree F is a heat wave ....

SAE 5w-30 was used in our UrS6, S4, 993 and wife's 986. Cold, man cold.
M. Schneider - Thanks for your post. I think I'm going in the right direction at least (from 10w-40 to 0w-40 versus from 10w-40 to 15w-50). And I certainly don't want to get into changing oil twice a year, so I have to compromise.

Almost 40 years in MN for me now. I don't mind the cold and the snow, but the winter season is waaaay toooo loooong.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:29 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oil is very simple for me. It goes like this "Bill (Pfister that is), need an oil change, put whatever you would put in your car"

That happens to be Brad Penn.

Quick Reply: OIL, yet again!