Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, what's the ceiling? (Another "crazy prices" thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:03 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Yep, there are a lot of very nice brand-new cars, that are faster, for 50-100K; but how many of them are holding or going up in value?
Even more important... are any of them a 911? No. Hell, even a 996 out performs a 993 but would I prefer one over the 993 I own? Never. I would love to own a 996... I just prefer to own a 993 much more

These cars are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Forever.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
Anyone who wants to pony up $70k for my 993 can have it today ��
Maybe if it was still stock.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Supply and demand, pure and simple.

THIS.

The 993 was the last rear engine variant to be produced in relatively small quantities, I.e. Compared to the later 996, 997 and 991s.

There are NO more being made, so by definition supply can only diminish.

demand can and will fluctuate. This is only my opinion, but I believe there is always going to be a fan base of Porsche rear engine air cooled people that will be around. On top of that are the sports car fans that "like" the 911, but also have an equal passion for BMWs, Benzs, Ferraris, Lambos, etc... It is when a significant number of those folks start desiring 993s in their stable that prices start to head for blue sky.

It isn't quite like the stock market where in a week suddenly all of them will flock to say, Ferrari 360s, so prices don't change that rapidly, but over time various cars will move in and out of favor, and prices will fluctuate accordingly with that demand.

What I currently see, is a lot of 993s are currently in the hands of category 1, those that have come to love the Marque, love the rear engine and the air cooled mystic. As such, there are not a lot of 993s on the for sale market. I also see a lot of interest from newcomers, looking for 993s, particularly here on this forum (which is THE source for all things 993)

Low supply, increasing demand.....you have all seen those curves in Econ 101.

So the $128,000 (how many of you remember THAT game show?) is, how long will demand continue to rise?

It cannot go on indefinitely, as buyers will move to other markets when prices get to a point where other alternatives become more attractive, I.e. Better value. What is that point?

No way to predict, but when it happens, you'll see prices level off and maybe even fall off.

I never viewed my car as an investment, it is a mode of transportation, and a fun toy for me. While it is nice to see something you own increase in value, it really doesn't matter if you have no plans on selling it.

Happy Easter everyone.

Speculating of the price of 993s is silly for most of us, Dealers and those trying to make a living, different story.

When I bought my 993, I EXPECTED it to depreciate in value, the fact that I could sell it today for what I purchase it at in 2007 is a warm fuzzy, but that's it, since I LOVE driving it.

Speculation on car prices only makes sense to me if it is worth $1M or up. Below that, the car was meant to be driven, go and enjoy it for its intended purpose. If you can't afford the price of entry, look for another park to play in.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:11 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Financing what essentially is a 17+yr old toy is usually a bad move.

Budgeting funds to MOD the car ahead of paying off said car loan is even worse.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:26 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude
Financing what essentially is a 17+yr old toy is usually a bad move.

Budgeting funds to MOD the car ahead of paying off said car loan is even worse.
I dont see it that way.

If I decided to wait to have medical services until after I had saved up enough money to pay for those services outright, I'd never experience the benefit of say a steroid injection until after I could afford one, LOL.

If I waited to pay off a house before I decided to renovate the bathroom, I'd always want a new bathroom and resent the decision to not update it.

If I spent the money to buy an 18 year old "toy" that my income supports the payments from financing, why not finance it? I still dont hear a valid reason for NOT financing a car that has lost nearly ALL its depreciation and at a purchase price WELL below todays and (assumedly) tomorrows. You'd have a valid point if we were talking about a NEW 991. I think buying one at all is a bad idea, solely from a financial standpoint, LOL.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by RichPugh
I dont see it that way.

If I decided to wait to have medical services until after I had saved up enough money to pay for those services outright, I'd never experience the benefit of say a steroid injection until after I could afford one, LOL.

If I waited to pay off a house before I decided to renovate the bathroom, I'd always want a new bathroom and resent the decision to not update it.

If I spent the money to buy an 18 year old "toy" that my income supports the payments from financing, why not finance it? I still dont hear a valid reason for NOT financing a car that has lost nearly ALL its depreciation and at a purchase price WELL below todays and (assumedly) tomorrows. You'd have a valid point if we were talking about a NEW 991. I think buying one at all is a bad idea, solely from a financial standpoint, LOL.
ideally you wouldn't finance anything. It costs you more money than if you purchased it straight out.

If you have to finance the car, and then save up for repairs, you likely can't afford it.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:06 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
ideally you wouldn't finance anything. It costs you more money than if you purchased it straight out. If you have to finance the car, and then save up for repairs, you likely can't afford it.
Financing makes perfect sense if your money can earn a greater yield elsewhere. Additionally, while I don't personally think of my car as an investment, if you are going to drive for a few years and try to ride the wave and sell at a profit, leveraging up will significantly increase your return.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:16 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
Financing makes perfect sense if your money can earn a greater yield elsewhere. Additionally, while I don't personally think of my car as an investment, if you are going to drive for a few years and try to ride the wave and sell at a profit, leveraging up will significantly increase your return.
Does everything in life have to boil down to a positive ROI and maximizing your balance sheet? In the case of a cool older car like a 993, one that's already seen all of its depreciation, is there nothing to be said for the enjoyment of ownership? If I finance a dream car and lose a few grand over 4 years to interest, is that the end of the world? As long as I'm not spending my entire monthly salary on a car payment and am otherwise comfortable in making the payments, I don't see the big deal. Life is too short to forgo enjoying it because you're too concerned about giving away a few bucks to the bank.

I'd just mentally file the interest payment away in the same category as vacations, eating out, movies, and other money sinks where your only return is a good time and personal enjoyment. That's probably the attitude that will keep me out of the 1%, but oh well.

Last edited by Skwerl; 04-18-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I said that twice...i got tired of repeating it.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:43 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Does everything in life have to boil down to a positive ROI and maximizing your balance sheet? In the case of a cool older car like a 993, one that's already seen all of its depreciation, is there nothing to be said for the enjoyment of ownership? If I finance a dream car and lose a few grand over 4 years to interest, is that the end of the world? As long as I'm not spending my entire monthly salary on a car payment and am otherwise comfortable in making the payments, I don't see the big deal. Life is too short to forgo enjoying it because you're too concerned about giving away a few bucks to the bank.
You don't have to tell me this. I bought my 993 when I was 22, financed it and why the hell not. My point was to all the hardons out there that tell you that you should never finance a toy, should be able to pay cash and all that load of crap like every decision you make in life in rational. Fact is that you could die tomorrow, so be reasonable, live your life like you want to without being reckless.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I said that twice...i got tired of repeating it.
Can see that now, on the same page.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Fact is that you could die tomorrow, so be reasonable, live your life like you want to without being reckless.
Yep, that's how I see it and I'm glad I'm not alone. I see the "financing is for poor suckers who can't manage their money" on car forums all over the place, as if the only acceptable way to own a car that isn't a used Corolla is to be a self-made millionaire and pay cash for everything. I think the assumption is that if you're financing, it means you're eating ramen noodles to make a car payment, but being responsible about it is nothing to be ashamed of and lets you enjoy life before you get hit by a bus at age 40 or who knows what.

(And for the record, I regret that the thread has drifted into finance chat and I still can't tell if a 993TT will be a $140k proposition in a couple years )
Old 04-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Everyone is free to make their own financial decisions, just as everyone's personal financial situation is their own, personally, I have never financed a car, as I don't want to pay the interest on a depreciating asset.

It isn't wrong or bad to have a differing opinion, just another person's personal choice about how they want to leverage their money.

Accept it, people have different opinions...doesn't mean that either you or they are wrong, BOTH are right for each individual.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:00 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kika
personally, I have never financed a car, as I don't want to pay the interest on a depreciating asset.
I agree with this, but it's where the current topic diverges from that theory: 993s aren't going to depreciate further, and it seems likely that if you finance one at 2-3% you actually will make money if you do decide to sell it in a few years.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I agree with this, but it's where the current topic diverges from that theory: 993s aren't going to depreciate further, and it seems likely that if you finance one at 2-3% you actually will make money if you do decide to sell it in a few years.
I agree that it isn't likely that 993s will depreciate from today, at least not substantially, I don't think it is 100% certain either.

having said that, we have sold each of the 3 Porsche's we have owned for more than we paid for them. We did not buy any of them for investment purposes or to make money, that is just the way it turned out. It was a motivation for the 993 however, in that it is highly probable (not 100%) that if I had to sell, I would recoup my money.

I just don't view my car as a "investment" or a thing to put money into for safe keeping. That is not to say, it doesn't serve that purpose, I just don't view it as such.

I will say, that you are much less likely to see that return if you buy a Honda or Toyota, in 5-10 years it will be worth next to nothing. So I do agree with your thinking.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:33 PM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would bet that the smile on the face of the guy who has stretched a bit to finance that dream NB is bigger than the smile on the guy with the Andial TT or RUF parked between his Ferrari and Lambo.

Quick Reply: So, what's the ceiling? (Another "crazy prices" thread)