Sponsored by:

Forum Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Tech-Law
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forum Failure

There's been some talk about Rennlist membership and dues running through some threads these days and I just wanted to relay a story about another forum I used to frequent.

It was called "Badger Pond" and it had been around for as long as I can remember. It was a forum dedicated to woodworking that was even more active than this forum. The members were very respectful and it was an excellent place to get and give information and just to generally hang out.

It was a free forum but people were encouraged to make donations. I never actually made a donation but relied on it before any major tool or materials purchase. It saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars in mistakes that I might have otherwise made. It was a truly excellent source of information and friendship.

It recently shuttered its virtual doors due to a lack of funding and resources... very unfortunate. In hindsight, I feel like an *** for not financially contributing to the place.

After seeing the tremendous source of information that this forum has created (and remembering how valuable Badger Pond was) I became a paying Rennlist member after only a few days.

This is not meant as an indictment to non-members or as a "holier-than-thou" proposition. I only want to relay my 20/20 hindsight regarding my failure to contribute to another great forum that is sadly no longer available. Stepping down from my soapbox now...

Old 08-01-2003, 10:50 AM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When I first discovered "Rennlist", I trolled for a while....I didn't post anything, just used the search function and looked at all the great information, that's just me. When I started participating in a more active way, I felt as far as I was concerned membership was a must. That just my $0.02 .

JOIN "RENNLIST" TODAY!
Old 08-01-2003, 12:07 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been reading this forum for a couple of years and have received a wealth of valuable information here. I never really thought about becoming a member until recently I was communicating with a new member "tech-law" and I noticed that after a few days he became a member, which made me think about it. I feel much better now that I am contributing in some small way.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:36 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Tech-Law is right. I finally paid up after 3 months. Fess up and pay up.

REMEBER I am nota_troll.

Official Member 030731-3821

Old 08-01-2003, 12:51 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Here here! No soap box intended, but if you learned ONE THING on this board, considering the cost of DOING, FIXING, BREAKING, SCRATCHING, DROPPING, LOSING or anything else on these expensive beloved cars of ours, you have likely saved the Rennlist dues 10 times over. JUST ONE THING.

Personally, I have learned new things to look for, fixed some stuff on my own that would have been several hundred dollars in labor, avoided costs because something was normal or easily fixed, learned about Zaino (ok, that one has cost me lots of money , learned more about tires than I EVER knew existed, and been led to resources (including board members) who have helped with information to improve my driving, and have been talked into trying my first track day (ok, that could cost me more too). So never mind! Rennlist has cost me too much money!

Seriously though...good grief...think of the surcharge you would gladly pay for this kind of information in any other aspect of your life. It was great money spent for me personally, I might ask that you see if you have found similar value and are not yet a member.

Quick Reply: Forum Failure