Sponsored by:

Drive Block Immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 01:12 AM
gslaberge
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Block Immobilizer

It seems to take a few minutes for the light to go out indicating that the car has recognized my key. Sometimes the car won't respond (i.e. turn over) others it just fires up. The key is new, and I am thinking battery. Any experiences with this? Does it typically take 1-2 minutes for the car to sense the chip in the key and allow starting?
Thanks for any advice. There were few articles about this in the archives.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:21 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uhhhh, ...... Gregg, there is NO chip in the key. You need to read the instructions. Do you have an owner's manual? The operation of the Porsche DriveBlock system is explained in painstaking detail there. The system is active or inactive, there's no time period to recognize or process any signals. Make sure your 12v key fob battery is good - if in doubt replace it.

If you don't have a manual, let us know & someone can either scan & post the info or type the lengthy instructions.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:31 AM
Blizzard
Instructor

Greg,

If you leave the key in the ignition after shutting down, you can restart without having to deactivate the system. But if you shut down and remove the key (or just pull it back 1/2") without locking the doors, the system arms after a few minutes requiring you to press the button to deactivate the immobilizer.

If I leave the car for a moment with the keys in the ignition I always pull the key back slightly and that way the system arms.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:14 AM
gslaberge
Advanced

Default Drive Block Immobilizer

Actually I am an old VW aircooled guy, so thinking about reading the manual just isn't on the radar screen. This is obviously something that must change. I should have though of that!!
Will have a look this am.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:24 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

I dunno about you guys but that Immobilizer is too invasive for my taste. I'd like to wire around it. Has anyone had any success in setting up an alternate system?
Old 08-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Tom Pepper
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

Yup...1995 993
Old 08-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Hey no fair!

He's right, though. The @%$#^ immobilizer is an integral part of the car's brain. While that makes it reeaally hard to hot wire, it also means that you are pretty much stuck with it.

Unless you'd care to give up the extra dozen ponies and get a basket handle car (1995 model year).

Derrick B.
1996 993, with annoying immobilizer

Quick Reply: Drive Block Immobilizer