993 Forum 1995-1998

windshield antenna wire

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 02:41 PM
BigBadDad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question windshield antenna wire

Help, please. I have a glass installer here who is trying to install a new winshield. He wants to splice the antenna wire from the windshield to the radio. I don't want it spliced. Does anyone know where the wire is routed and how to reach the plug portion of the antenna wire? The wire with plug coming off the new windshield is about 6" long.

Thanks for any help!

-John
Old 07-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

John, the 6" pigtail goes to your antenna amp. It is located above your passenger airbag. You can reach it from the trunk, it's a bitch. Small hands work better. What you are trying to find is a black box, 2" by 5" by 1". You cannot run your lead, nor splice it. You should get another installer!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:37 PM
BigBadDad
Advanced

Thanks Kevin. Another installer from the same company came out and showed him how to run the wire. They both said that they normally splice & tuck, 'cause no one ever knows. That's comforting...

I am getting ready to call the company, but thought I'd post here first. When he removed the window, he peeled the black plastic seal out of the old windshield. It is the piece you see surrounding the window and is flush against the painted frame and the glass. The tongue prtion of it ripped around one of the corners. Here he used the windshield glue to glue the trim piece into place. It looks like crap. There is a 1mm gap where the trim piece should lap over the painted window frame. You can see the glue in there. Any how, guess I'll call and have it redone.

I am keeping my perspective. No permanent damage, just a hassle.

Thanks for the help!

-John
Old 07-31-2003, 04:43 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would guess your 993 is the installer's first. Kevin is correct. The connection is back & up behind the passenger's side trunk hinge. To access it - open the trunk & remove the rubber seal (just pulls up) that goes across at the back of the trunk opening. Remove the large plastic cover piece. Undo the top mount for the passenger side trunk support. You should then be able to easily plug in the lead by hand. Takes just a few minutes for all the above.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

John;

With all the problems that our windshields have. It should be a top priority to find glass pro's. The splice is probably half the reason why our radios don't work, the other half is the installers forgetting to install the lead into the windshield amp.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:52 PM
BigBadDad
Advanced

Just got off the phone with the glass company. We are scheduled to have the job redone properly with a new rubber seal. I can hardly wait (sarcasm).

Again, thanks for the help.

Old 07-31-2003, 05:32 PM
fish993
Track Day

Default radio

Does everyone have poor fm reception and also there is a repeated click on am. Any clues? Do have the nokia special add on.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:44 PM
BigBadDad
Advanced

I have good fm reception on mine, with the stock head unit. I don't listen to am, so no idea on the clicking.

-John

Quick Reply: windshield antenna wire