Sponsored by:

Short Shift Kits - Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 10:17 AM
JGarcia-Bertran
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Short Shift Kits - Options

I realize that maybe this subject has been covered in the past, but can't seem to get any hits under the search function. I'm looking into possibly replacing the current OEM shifter. I'm looking into the aftermarket short shift kit offered/manufactured by B&M's or Weltmeister or oem Porsche kit offered by Gert. Any comments on the major difference/performance/reliability of these kits?

Many thanks,

JG
Old 07-31-2003, 10:28 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

JG,
I am in the process of putting in the OEM kit. For the slight price diff. why not go OEM? I think the other kits are just knock off's of the factory parts.
Check Robin's DYI (www.p-car.com) If you get stuck with the installation, let me know. Where in ChiTown are you?
Old 07-31-2003, 10:57 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Eric,

Did you buy the OEM kit from Gert? Was thinking of doing over the winter.

Mike Cap
1997 C2
Arena Red
Old 07-31-2003, 11:01 AM
JGarcia-Bertran
Track Day

Eric,

Hope all is well. We actually met at the last Chicago area gathering/drive to Wisco. organized by Bob. I'm live in downtown Chicago (Gold Coast area). I really appreciate the offer. I was thinking of probably doing this in the next few weeks or so. Who are you getting the short-shift kit from?
Old 07-31-2003, 11:08 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I bought mine from Schatz Motorsports. They sell the FVD model (looks like the factory piece to me). The TT requires only one piece instead of two or three pieces for the NA cars when doing the short shift install. The other two pieces would have added 15 minutes to the install. REAL SIMPLE, and unless you have a 4WD, you don't even need to take a hammer to your car... Total install time is around 2-3 hours for your typical DIYer. If you have taken your console out before, then it is even easier.

Don't wait until winter....
Old 07-31-2003, 11:13 AM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I did quite a bit of research, when I did mine last month. What I basically came up with was interesting. Gert told me most units are the same design and when the units are side by side that appears to be the case. At the time Gert had some on sale. The unit works great, a vast improvement IMHO. Just zip Gert an email, sometimes he'll even match his previous sale prices to "Rennlist" members.

Good Luck!

Last edited by p_carfan; 07-31-2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:20 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike, got it from Gert (should be here on Friday) I have the old stuff out waiting on FedEx!
JG-B, We should have had name tags!! I thought we had met. Let me know when you get yours and I would be happy to help, I am just a couple of miles west of Mich. Ave.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:22 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Bob,

Easy for you to say "don't wait till winter". Summers are so short here that even having the car down for a day is painful. Thanks for the tips. I will probably order from Gert. Enjoy your year round ride....

Mike Cap
1997 C2
Arena Red
Old 07-31-2003, 01:09 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Surprisingly, I found the RUF short-shifter was the cheapest option for me when I explored the different models. I've sampled a few and found that the while the shift reduction is decent, but don't expect a short throw comparable to that found in a miata or S2000. My favorite improvement from this upgrade is that the shifter sits higher up, so the distance from the steering wheel is lessened.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:09 PM
993Power
Instructor

Hi, i was wondering if anyone knew what the difference, and if you need the shift rod?

On Gert's site it shows two listings:
Shift lever and fork 75 Euro.
Shift lever, fork and shift rod 275 Euro

Does the Shift Rod make a difference and is it needed? thanks!

chris
Old 07-31-2003, 04:33 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

993 Power,

You don't NEED the shift rod, but it does have a tighter, more robust u-joint than the stock unit. In response to an e-mail, Gert said he didn't think it was worth the 200 euros more. I ended up buying the new rod however, because during a quick reconnaissance, I determined my existing rod was knackered... the u-joint was really sloppy, presumably due to worn out rubber (!) internals. I am planning on installing the kit this weekend, so I should know more next week!

Mark.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:15 PM
993Power
Instructor

hey Mad, thats for the info, ill definetly keep it in mind. I might go with the RUF one too, but it all depends.

Keep us updated, thanks!

chris
Old 08-01-2003, 01:06 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
Get a short shift kit from Steve W. I believe that it has the OEM mechanicals but the shifter is billet aluminum. Of course, if you want it to look stock, then get it from Gert.

Reminds me of the Mach 5 shifter.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:23 AM
SteveG.
Rennlist Member

I too have been looking into the short shift kit and emailed Gert about the OEM version that he sells. My concern is that I don't want the shifter to sit any higher than stock. Gert has told me that his kit does not change the height at all. Can anyone who confirm or deny this? In addition to the Ruf kit that Temple has, does anyone know which kits actually raise the shifter? I definitely want to do this upgrade while maintaining the original height.

Steve
Old 08-01-2003, 10:21 AM
PSU-993
Advanced

I have the OEM RS kit in my car and I don't think the height is any different than stock. I can't confirm that, as my PO had the kit installed before I bought it, but I can tell you that the shifter falls very comfortably to hand and feels like it's "right" to me. Plus, the RS shifter looks fantastic with my marble grey interior. Just my $.02.

Quick Reply: Short Shift Kits - Options