Steering Weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:42 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Prattie
Bare with me here.

I'm new to 993 ownership never driven another.

My steering seems quite heavy for a powered system. Although it feels OK no pulling or bangs etc it just feels heavy for a lightish front end.
is that the correct feel?

Can you align/adjust just the front without doing a full job which can be £600- £700 .

Steve
It depends what you are used to. When I got 993 I thought steering was very heavy and very bouncy compared to modern regular cars, especially the ones where you can rotate the wheel with a feather...so I think it's normal.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Prattie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers Orangecurry, I will check them out but should say its now in at Porsche Tonbridge. They have found a bent Track rod end.

Sorry for the vagueness re the wheels they are 17 inchers with new tyres.

Just to let you know the hour rate at Porsche for Club members is £90 they estinmate 2-3 hrs for full track laser alignment. I'm interested in a mention in the previous threads of "K " equipment not sure what that is or means.

The local Freeway garage does laser checking at about £35.00 all in, what is it about the 993.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 PM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

A bent track rod end? Hmmm I really can't see how that is possible. What can bend on this?

Ask them to keep the old one for you.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 PM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

The local Freeway garage does laser checking at about £35.00 all in, what is it about the 993.
Laser checking means just that - a check. They put the mirrors on all four wheels, and measure the angles.

A proper geo on a 993 means that any one of 20 different points on the steering and rear axle linkages will be adjusted, and by someone who knows which to adjust and with what consequence.

(Now someone come and tell me how many there are really.)

90 p/h sounds expensive to me, especially as they probably only see a 993 once a year....
Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cheers Orangecurry, I will check them out but should say its now in at Porsche Tonbridge. They have found a bent Track rod end.

Sorry for the vagueness re the wheels they are 17 inchers with new tyres.

Just to let you know the hour rate at Porsche for Club members is £90 they estinmate 2-3 hrs for full track laser alignment. I'm interested in a mention in the previous threads of "K " equipment not sure what that is or means.

993 Rear suspension has an additional adjustment beyond Toe and Camber called Kinematic Toe. In simple terms is is a dynamic toe that must be equalized side to side when doing an alignment. Failure to do so can lead to some weird handling. Think of it similar to castor on the front.

The K-Toe needs special tools for measurement, these tools are generally not available at you local alignment shop. There are two types of tools the standard Porsche ones that sell for over $2000, the other is the Porsche Motorsport tool that fits onto the back of rear calipers (much cheaper).

The other issue is whether the shop actually knows how to use the tools.... I know of a number of Porsche dealers that don't know how to use the tool
Old 04-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Prattie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering weight

The whole thing is done and it was a track rod itself which was bent not just the end.

They have given me a complete set up sheet which I am prepared to post if I knew hpw.

One of the measurements appeared way out against the standard. As they are a main dealer I would trust they have the know how present and have completed the job correctly. I did not get the old bar my fault just forgot to ask.

Car feels so much better a lot more sure footed into a corner with beter handling on uneven surfaces.

Bill ended up at £511.00, could probably have done the rod myself but they're charge was only .30 min sio not worth the hassel of taking away and returning.

Steve

Ps orangecurry, Lee from paragon I think is at the other shop in sussex. did you know him he worked on my 72 911 E but lost contact.

Quick Reply: Steering Weight