Sponsored by:

Knocking noise from left rear... PSS-9?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Knocking noise from left rear... PSS-9?

Hello all,

I tried to searc the answer but I don't think it's working that well yet.

I remember some people remorting some knocking noise after installing PSS-9 to their car, or lafter little while it starting but I can't remember what was the problem...

Here is my story...

Last Saturday after the Moroso DE, I started hearing some knocking noise coming from somewhere left rear area... Sort of where suspension top mount it (but everything there is tight).
It's like if there was a welded nut on rear deck, and there was a bolt
that was loose, that would make similar sound.
On "rambling roads" when car "shakes" or when I drive over bumb, I can hear it.
Not always when I drive over the bumb but more when the bumb is like several bumbs one after another ("rambling road).

I've checked that all the suspension mounts are tight.
I actually discovered that my left side drop link was loose, so I tightened
it and thought that was it!
But no it wasn't...
Does this strike you as something you've heard before or whatta hell could
it be?!
I remember some people complaining about some knocking noises after
installing PSS-9 but I don't remember what it was...?
So folks, those who had some noise problems after installing the suspension, or if someone remembers what it was. Or (since I still doubt it's from suspension) if someone has any anied what could it be?!
I'll start tearing the car apart soon if I can't find it!

HELP!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:35 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

You are not alone! Same gremling with the H&R's on my cabrio. After almost 2 years still there!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DJF1
You are not alone! Same gremling with the H&R's on my cabrio. After almost 2 years still there!
Whatta?!

And you have no clue..?

I knew I've heard peole complaining about something like this but no one has solved it?

It sounds like something is sort of loose (in a "shaky" way), not like if you had suspension mount loose and it would knock once hard?
Old 07-30-2003, 10:00 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No noise from the rear after 2 years with my PSS-9's. The only problem, suspension related, I've had is the proper lubrication for the sway bar bushings in the front (RS bars).
Old 07-30-2003, 10:07 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

FF,
Have you been able to check the nut that holds everything onto the shock shaft? The big one in the center.

Are the springs in the perch or are they somehow binding?

End of my suggestions.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:10 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Greg,

I checked the nut that's in the really big one, it was ok. I wasn't able to check the really big one (didn't have big enough wrench available) but I knocked it with piece of wood couple of times and it felt tight.

Springs: That I haven't checked. You mean upper part of them?

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:21 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Do you have a monoball setup or the factory upper shock mounts? If factory, you may need the special hats that Rennsport sells (or get from Bilstein). Your coil spring may be binding there. I think this was what Greg was mentioning.

Just a thought.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:48 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

Do you have double locking rings around the collar that attaches to the drop link? If not, it may be rotating when the spring loads and unloads, and the drop link can be knocking into the control arm that it wraps around. I had this problem, and had to take everything apart, and install a second locking ring. Now each has one above and one below the collar. Also, if you look at the control arm, you will see if the drop link is hitting it by some scraping marks. I have had to angle the collar slightly to allow enough clearance.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Bob,

I have monoballs so that shouldn't be the case.

I just went and took the wheel of and tried to move the spring around, it looked just perfect though. Then I went for a test drive... Yep, the sound is still there!

Since I'm not the only one who has this gremling, as Danny said (I think there are others) I can't believe no one hasn't been able to solve it. I mean, the sound must come from somewhere so...

I'm just so pissed now, I think I'm gonna put them cat by-pass pipes, those with supercups should "cure" all kinds of litte sound issues that I'm hearing...

Seriously though, there must be solution for this, or do you just get used to it like our Danny here (after two years, you probably had forgotten that it even existed... )

What cornes makes noise in your case Danny?
Old 07-30-2003, 10:56 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

Just for the record, I've had several problems with my PSS9s. I am removing the second rear to have the adjustment **** malfunction. The first froze, and the second free-wheeled. I had to take them both off to install the spring perches, and I've had to remove both to add the second ring on the collar. Each of these is expensive, and I've lost count of the times I've had to re-align the car. It is a good product when it works, and I drive mine quite hard on tracks, but I think being an early purchaser was a disadvantage. At least Bilstein has given me reasonable support. I'd buy the kit again, I guess, but wish they had done it right the first time...
Old 07-30-2003, 10:56 PM
Alan C2S
Intermediate

Just went through this last week with my DIY Pss9 install. (Same type noise) I did rip it apart and found it was the way in which my top hat was installed causing the spring to hit the strut body. The rubber OEM part was not seated correctly in the top of the new and improved hat that I purchased from bilstien. Once that was corrected and with a new balance and align the car feels perfect and handles "very nice". If this sounds like your problem I can send you a picture of what mine looked like when I took it out. Good Luck!
Old 07-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Chuck,

I've had same problems... One shock's adjustment was just turning around freely and now I noticed that the **** on other is missing (shaft is there and it works though, so I just have to get new ****).

Alan,

Please send the picture. Althoug I have monoballs so it's different but I'd still like to see what was going on there...
Old 07-30-2003, 11:15 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Flying Finn,

I had a front monoball that was bad and it started knocking and rattling. Had to replace it and everything was fine.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:20 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by Flying Finn

Springs: That I haven't checked. You mean upper part of them?
Didn't know if under load the spring might happen to not sit in the perch (upper) correctly. Not really likely but worth looking at.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:23 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

I'll keep my ears open when I drive it home for the first time. I picked up the car this afternoon.

Quick Reply: Knocking noise from left rear... PSS-9?