Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump Sabotage

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:48 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Sabotage

[disclaimer] I posted a similar thread over on the TT forum. Looking for additional perspectives over here...

Long story, but my NA 993 has the TT power steering pump and the rest of the hydraulic complexity to go with it. The plan is to go back to stock. Based on my searches, no one has ever been in this exact situation with a 993. Lucky me!

Obviously, I'll swap clutch master & slave cylinders, ps reservoir, mounting hardware, and some plumbing. The big ticket item is the power steering pump.

Instead of replacing it with the NA one, I hope to block one of the high-pressure outputs. Plan is to swap the clutch circuit banjo bolt from the pump with a suitable regular bolt (and washer/o-rings). The other two hydraulic connections (high pressure steering and return) will continue unmodified.

The $1MM question.... does anyone think sabotaging (blocking) one of the two outputs will fry the pump or worse - the steering rack?

Speculation and wild-*** guesses are encouraged.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Interesting - and not sure of the answer - but it begs the question - what is your NA car doing with that pump to begin with?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:29 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,075 Posts

It seems your question has two components;
Do the two pump ports share the same fluid path to exit as in a common internal manifold?

Do power steering pumps circulate continuously and the steering rack only provides back pressure resistance during steering adjustment
or
is there some sort of internal pressure regulation in the pump that holds constant pressure for the system on the pump outlet and it differs between the two pumps?

Answer these questions and you will have your answer
Anyone care to comment?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:33 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not ditch the factory setup and install an electro-hydraulic TRW pump in the front trunk?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:39 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike J
Interesting - and not sure of the answer - but it begs the question - what is your NA car doing with that pump to begin with?
A PO had the TT clutch system installed at great expense in 2004 and 60k miles ago. I've found 1-2 posts here of some folks contemplating swapping the NA clutch for the turbo. The guy that owned my car was actually crazy enough (and found a shop crazy enough) to do it. Aside from a new accumulator about 10k ago, it's worked fine. Now it's having some mild slave cylinder symptoms that I'm trying to stay on top of.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NP993
Why not ditch the factory setup and install an electro-hydraulic TRW pump in the front trunk?
Interesting. Had not considered this option, but like the simplicity. I've been searching the forums for the past 20 mins and can find little on actually installation or day-to-day experience.

Price seems to be inline with with the old-school camshaft driven pump, so that's a wash.

Has anyone actually done this?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Have you tried sourcing a used power steering pump? I recently bought some stuff from parts heaven - shoot him an email if you havn't already he responds pretty quick.
info@partsheaven.com
Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
Has anyone actually done this?
I did it. Works really nicely. You may be able to order a kit from these guys:

http://store.gospecracing.com/gsrele...ngpumpkit.aspx

But I did it all myself. None of it's very hard. You can then eliminate the pump/reservoir/lines/PS belt. Less maintenance, one less step when doing an engine R&R. Plus you pick up one or two hp.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

So, for my SWAG, the existing pump is self lubricating and spins madly anytime the engine is running: it does not know to do anything other than maintain its relief pressure ..... the rack sees a fluid flow when the spool valve is activated by your input - that's why there is a return line to the reservoir: the clutch line is a one was street - no return, and only a few CC's of flow to activate the slave stroke - which must flow back the same line at constant pressure.

My guess is that your guess is correct: blocking off the clutch line will have no impact on the pump.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Well, I can conclusively say that this was a terrible idea.

Blocking this line will lead to pump damage. Specifically, my pump now leaks out of a seal on top of the pump. Now time to submit that WTB power steering pump thread.

Wish me luck on getting the old pump out without dropping the engine!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:53 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a pump if you are interested. 60k Miles on it, was in perfect operating order when I pulled it out. I replaced it with a 997 GT3 Cup Electric PS pump when I did my engine rebuild.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:55 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Just wanted to give a shoutout to trophy for the pump and related goodies. Thanks to you, my car is back in business. Everything was shipped with great care and the parts are now working perfectly in my car. If you're ever in northern CA, I owe you a beer...or 12.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:35 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Matt, glad all the parts arrived safely, and it all worked out for you. Happy I could help you out.

I will take you up on those beers!
Old 04-13-2014, 01:25 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Purden,
Do u have any clues as to why the PO was so obsessed w putting turbo stuff into ur car??
Old 04-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
Wish me luck on getting the old pump out without dropping the engine!
Glad Rennlist came through for you.

Did you have to drop the engine to replace the pump? I was under the impression it was required?

Johnny

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Sabotage