Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Porsche to replace ALL engines in 991 GT3 cars...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 01:15 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

everyone but GM Obama Motors Corp - immune from most if not all litigious preceding's with the big recall.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

For those of you who have never seen a con rod come through a 911 crankcase, the last one I saw started an oil fire when the rod came out through the top of the crankcase.

Having one come through the side, spraying oil on to hot exhaust catalytic converters...wow that would be a conflagration.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I don't understand why people get such hard-ons for motors that spin to 8k, 9k etc.

I know its torqueless wonder and you need to rev the nuts off it to make power, but why not just increase the stroke a bit, bring the bloody rev limiter down to 7k, make some torque, and make the thing live longer.

Saying stuff like "OHHH MI GAWD, it revs to 9,000rpm!!!!1!!1111!!!!" yeah...and???
All I have to say is, this picture does about the same thing for me as a 9K engine, any questions?

Old 03-21-2014, 03:53 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
everyone but GM Obama Motors Corp - immune from most if not all litigious preceding's with the big recall.
It was George W. Bush who initiated the bail out of GM, not Obama, FYI
Old 03-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Edinsf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I don't understand why people get such hard-ons for motors that spin to 8k, 9k etc.

I know its torqueless wonder and you need to rev the nuts off it to make power, but why not just increase the stroke a bit, bring the bloody rev limiter down to 7k, make some torque, and make the thing live longer.

Saying stuff like "OHHH MI GAWD, it revs to 9,000rpm!!!!1!!1111!!!!" yeah...and???

....and it sounds cool...I love the sound of a high reving engine!
But of course I don't expect you to understand Oliver....
Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Freewayblaster
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A concern I have is that these recalled GT3 engines may be re-built at Porsche and re-cycled. I would not want that to happen with my car, these engines are secondhand as soon as they are removed from the car. I want a brand new engine in my car, be it a re-called car or a new car. Also, how do they get around the engine number problem ? It will be a new engine number I presume. Sorry for the guys that have paid money. I have a 997.2 GT3RS (it had the dreaded variocam failure on the track, now runs fine), and I am in the line for a 991 GT3RS. My sphincter is now twittering understandably.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:36 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Freewayblaster
A concern I have is that these recalled GT3 engines may be re-built at Porsche and re-cycled. I would not want that to happen with my car, these engines are secondhand as soon as they are removed from the car. I want a brand new engine in my car, be it a re-called car or a new car. Also, how do they get around the engine number problem ? It will be a new engine number I presume. Sorry for the guys that have paid money. I have a 997.2 GT3RS (it had the dreaded variocam failure on the track, now runs fine), and I am in the line for a 991 GT3RS. My sphincter is now twittering understandably.
Well if it's your pupillary sphincter and the eye pupil is constricting not much to worry about...on the other hand...

Quick Reply: OT: Porsche to replace ALL engines in 991 GT3 cars...