Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Porsche to replace ALL engines in 991 GT3 cars...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:57 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
bizarre. throwing the rod and spilling oil?
Well not so bizarre... Think about what happens when you loose a rod bolt. The rod caps become loose, the rod becomes loose and starts flailing around inside the case, the clearance between the rods and the case at the bottom of the stroke is pretty tight, as soon as the rod loosens off there is contact between the rod and the case and shazam gouging, split case etc...

Originally Posted by il pirata
Might be a tad early to say they will be fine...the GT3 owners are still waiting on the details (engine to be replaced but when? guys already signed up for track series now without a car and out of pocket, now you have a new car with a replacement engine and how does that play out at resale, rumor is Porsche may try to recycle the current engines back into other GT3s to be produced)
If the engine that is removed is torn down and found not to have an issue with the rod bolts or what ever then there is no reason the case cannot be used for rebuild engines. Porsche and Other manufacturers do this all the time, that is what a core exchange program is about, they get the old engine/transmission back rebuild it with new internals and sell to the next guy.

All the sinister thoughts about this are pretty crazy in my mind.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup. I give porsche a lot of credit here. Highly doubtful they won't fix the engines properly.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:56 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
So you guys think the 997.1 and the 997.2 GT3/RS are going to go up in value ? And about approximately how much ? This is sad news to all the new owners
QUIET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm hoping to buy a 997.1 RS.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

see my thread on the 997 GT3 board.....................

"dam" you porsche and GT3 issues"
or not

sigh.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,418 Likes on 818 Posts

credit?

I give them no credit. How does a company like porsche, which goes to great lengths to tell us how they are an engineering company first and how they test and racing and blah blah blah, screw up something like a connecting rod cap/bolt?

I'm sure they'll get the fix right (or maybe not), but giving them credit for replacing engines when they screwed up something so elementary is silly.

I'm interested to see what, if any, other compensation they give to owners.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:21 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

well stated. why I used bizarre.... especially with many years down the road w/ the GT3s faring well.

Originally Posted by trophy
Well not so bizarre... Think about what happens when you loose a rod bolt. The rod caps become loose, the rod becomes loose and starts flailing around inside the case, the clearance between the rods and the case at the bottom of the stroke is pretty tight, as soon as the rod loosens off there is contact between the rod and the case and shazam gouging, split case etc...

If the engine that is removed is torn down and found not to have an issue with the rod bolts or what ever then there is no reason the case cannot be used for rebuild engines. Porsche and Other manufacturers do this all the time, that is what a core exchange program is about, they get the old engine/transmission back rebuild it with new internals and sell to the next guy.

much thanks. now the fires are much easier to fathom.... added to the huge external pump and high capacity.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:11 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
well stated. why I used bizarre.... especially with many years down the road w/ the GT3s faring well.
Different engine.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:28 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
credit?

I give them no credit. How does a company like porsche, which goes to great lengths to tell us how they are an engineering company first and how they test and racing and blah blah blah, screw up something like a connecting rod cap/bolt?

I'm sure they'll get the fix right (or maybe not), but giving them credit for replacing engines when they screwed up something so elementary is silly.

I'm interested to see what, if any, other compensation they give to owners.
Can you name one auto manufacturer - just one - that hasn't F'ed up a design? It happens. In this case theyve copped to it and taken responsibility. I can think of a lot of other instances where that doesn't happen. That's why they get credit.

On the other hand I can't help wondering if the potential for fire is what drove the decision. The there's plenty of 996 owners with a rod sticking out of their engines who were sh$t out of luck. At any rate, at least they did the right thing here.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:38 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche has a pretty remarkable track record of almost every engine in the 911 series having a major defect.

2.7's -- pulled studs, overheating
3.2 and 3.6 -- premature valve guide wear, cylinder-to-head leakage (early 964's)
996, 997 -- take your pick of acronyms that describe a grenaded engine
Old 03-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,418 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
Can you name one auto manufacturer - just one - that hasn't F'ed up a design? It happens. In this case theyve copped to it and taken responsibility. I can think of a lot of other instances where that doesn't happen. That's why they get credit.

On the other hand I can't help wondering if the potential for fire is what drove the decision. The there's plenty of 996 owners with a rod sticking out of their engines who were sh$t out of luck. At any rate, at least they did the right thing here.
oh, trust me, every manufacturer screws up left and right. That said the last production engine that I know of with a pattern of throwing rods was the mazdaspeed 3.

Given porsche's rhetoric about testing products with racing (they haven't with this engine) and that they are such a renowned engineering firm, I am concerned that they can't keep the rod on the crank with this motor. Ti rods are not anything new here. Having to tie wrap a fuel line is one thing...having con rods exit blocks is another.

The potential for fire was the major driver here, imho.

as noted by NP and yourself, porsche engines are hardly as robust as their reputation would have them seem.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:48 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy

Not quite apple to apple...if you send an engine in on a core exchange program that is one thing...if you buy a new car and it has an engine pulled from another previously SOLD car that is a whole different story.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:56 PM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I truly believe the potential for disaster was greater than the actual risk, however in this litigious age the company had to do something drastic in order to placate customers.
Replacing all 785 GT3's will cost Porsche $102M+, but might wind up cheaper than having to fight customers in court which would also be a PR lose-lose for the company.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Might be a tad early to say they will be fine...the GT3 owners are still waiting on the details (engine to be replaced but when? guys already signed up for track series now without a car and out of pocket, now you have a new car with a replacement engine and how does that play out at resale, rumor is Porsche may try to recycle the current engines back into other GT3s to be produced)
Yep
I am left wondering how current GT3 owners will (or will not be) compensated
It is good that Porsche is stepping up
And I'd bet they would have done the same if they had caught the M96 IMS issue early enough in production
Obviously for risk mitigation reasons

For new GT3 owners...
Heck of a lot of $$$ outlay
+ Lost time with the car
= loss by owner

Time value of money...
Old 03-21-2014, 12:18 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I popped over to the 991 Gt3 forum
Macca was already on it a couple of days ago

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...pensation.html
Old 03-21-2014, 12:49 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbull
I truly believe the potential for disaster was greater than the actual risk, however in this litigious age the company had to do something drastic in order to placate customers.
Replacing all 785 GT3's will cost Porsche $102M+, but might wind up cheaper than having to fight customers in court which would also be a PR lose-lose for the company.
Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:51 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbull
Toyota having to pay over a billion dollars in fines for their recall fiasco has all manufacturers being a bit more proactive these days. It seems like every few months there is another recall notice from an auto maker - I don't think you would have seen that to the same degree a decade ago.

Quick Reply: OT: Porsche to replace ALL engines in 991 GT3 cars...