993 Forum 1995-1998

Question on Fister Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 01:22 PM
CeeTwoS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Fister Stage II

Okay, it is time to better understand the Fister questions. I have done the search and have not been able to find the answers. So I figure I should just post it. If I missed the answer, please just point me to the thread and I will be very thankful.

Why is everyone making the mod to Fister Stage II? Is it Sound only? Is it performance? What is the performance gain if any?

Thanks in advance as I know I will get the best answers from RLers.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:26 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Fister mufflers do not add performance. It's purely audio. Though, the different stages are lighter than stock cans; so I guess there could be gain there. I think until you get into Xpipe/sportcats/nocats/header options, you will not see noticeable gains from an exhaust set up ~ Porsche did a pretty good job squeezing out power from the factory.

Hope that helps..
Old 03-14-2014, 01:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CeeTwoS
Okay, it is time to better understand the Fister questions. I have done the search and have not been able to find the answers. So I figure I should just post it. If I missed the answer, please just point me to the thread and I will be very thankful.

Why is everyone making the mod to Fister Stage II? Is it Sound only? Is it performance? What is the performance gain if any?

Thanks in advance as I know I will get the best answers from RLers.
CeeTwo, I live in SoCal and have Fister IIs. I love 'em. Feel free to come by any time and listen to them in person
Old 03-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

It isn't only Fister IIs, there are a number of Fister IIIs among the crowd as well.
There are also a number of custom jobs. Mgianzero's got some really nice sounding cans that are basically an LPMM job, although he can probably give you more details. LuckyJ has Fister IIs that sound downright mean!

There are plenty of options, and since a lot of people have them, it is pretty easy to sample a set. Where abouts in SoCal are you?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:28 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Is it Sound only?
I think it's more about the quality of the sound. Also, good value and Mark/Darin are great people; hence the Fister "attraction."
Old 03-14-2014, 03:21 PM
JenSP
Intermediate

I have Fister II's + sport-cat 200 - sound effects are the real deal but it's the latter that maybe gives some power (feels like it). I just had the combo failed at annual vehicle testing for being too noisy under new regs here.

Changed back to stock mufflers but left sport-cat on and just scraped through. The sound in this configuration is better than I expected - quite a nice burble at idle and hints of intent thru to 4,000 when the soundtrack really comes on stream.

Conclusion - for round town use and performance the sport-cat 200 alone may be sufficient. I'll be putting the II's back on this weekend ....... until next years test
Old 03-14-2014, 03:25 PM
CHRIS WU
Racer

Great people to deal with.
Stage two sounds GREAT.
Don't know about the HP gain, but the car feel more live then ....let's say the stock cans and RSR cans.
I am in San Gabriel valley, pm me if you want come by and listen to the music.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:21 PM
JLUinAZ
Advanced

I agree they aren't necessarily designed for improved performance... BUT... they do remove some internal baffling and put in the bypass pipe so I would assume they flow better than stock.

And they sound killer.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:27 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
It isn't only Fister IIs, there are a number of Fister IIIs among the crowd as well.
... and Fister Is, which they will still do, although no longer advertised on their web site. I just got Fister I's installed (today in fact!), and really like the sound; personally, I wouldn't want it any louder. In my opinion, it's how it should have come from the Porsche factory.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:34 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

I have Fister II's. Yes, probably little to no performance gains although they may be a smudge lighter. They look better too if you choose to ceramic coat them.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:53 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm told there's some heat management benefit to the ceramic coating. I'll know in about a month when I pull "Red" out of winter hibernation. Will be swapping the stock motorsound with Fister 2s, black ceramic with ceramic hardware and wide-oval tips.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gridlock61
... and Fister Is, which they will still do, although no longer advertised on their web site. I just got Fister I's installed (today in fact!), and really like the sound; personally, I wouldn't want it any louder. In my opinion, it's how it should have come from the Porsche factory.
Is Fister I basically a Fister II with a smaller bypass? thus a little quieter?
Clearly the Fister II involves a bypass. Fister III is all internal.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:07 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Is Fister I basically a Fister II with a smaller bypass? thus a little quieter?
Clearly the Fister II involves a bypass. Fister III is all internal.
I believe all the stages involve internal changes, but others will have a lot more knowledge of this than me. Stage I is the quietest of them all, but considerably more aggressive sounding than stock. You can hear the exhaust much more, particularly at high revs, when before I heard mainly what sounded as fan noise.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:51 AM
CeeTwoS
Rennlist Member

I knew you guys have all the answers.

I like the sound of the stock but will look into the the Sport Cat-200.

Thank you all for the great answers!
Old 03-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

I knew you guys have all the answers.

I like the sound of the stock but will look into the the Sport Cat-200.

Thank you all for the great answers!
I have come to the conclusion that I want sport cats to go with my factory motor sound mufflers at some point.

Quick Reply: Question on Fister Stage II