Old 03-06-2014 | 11:36 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Phase XI

Last years project Sunroof delete

This years project, Full Mono-ball suspension
The parts
Elephant sealed mono-***** on new used A-arms(Thanks again Il Pirata!), Renline rear upper links, yes I practice what I preach, my current front arms w/ Elephant sport rubber will be saved for the day the car is retired from track use, the Walrods on the new arms will be replaced w/ the sealed Elephant rose joints

RSR rear track arms(Cupcars pic) mine are on the way, as on the front the current RS track arms will be saved for track retirement
Old 03-06-2014 | 11:49 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

A happy camper in the making.
Old 03-06-2014 | 11:52 AM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Dont you mean Warlords? You never disappoint, Bill. Let us know how it all feels on the track.
Old 03-06-2014 | 12:08 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Nicely done, Bill.
Funny, the pcs. your "retiring" are the RS ones I'm waiting on (sunset) for my street/track set up.
Old 03-06-2014 | 01:25 PM
trophy
Race Car

Good Call bill, You will be amazed at how the car feels, direct and involved!. The most important part is the alignment settings will stay as set, no variability due to the flexing of the rubber...
Old 03-06-2014 | 02:07 PM
lopro
Banned

I have been waiting patiently for the next instalment, Ive read every one a couple of times. Bill your cars possibly my fav on the net
Old 03-06-2014 | 03:05 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by S2K993
Nicely done, Bill.
Funny, the pcs. your "retiring" are the RS ones I'm waiting on (sunset) for my street/track set up.
You're going to be very happy!

other things I'd do is
sport rubber fronts
solid sides
rose joint rear toe arms
Old 03-06-2014 | 03:07 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trophy
.... The most important part is the alignment settings will stay as set, no variability due to the flexing of the rubber...
That is the only reason I'm doing this, these cars are scary at the Glen w/ whacked kt
Old 03-07-2014 | 12:48 AM
Nollie
Pro

I made this switch last year and was pleased with the results. Hopefully your links are all the right length and won't spend shop hours diagnosing why toe numbers aren't lining up...
Old 03-07-2014 | 09:49 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nollie
I made this switch last year and was pleased with the results. Hopefully your links are all the right length and won't spend shop hours diagnosing why toe numbers aren't lining up...
That's always the concern w/ aftermarket parts, a friend just installed mono-***** in his stock rear arms, got it all together and found interference between the mono-***** and the longitudinal, what a PIA
Old 03-07-2014 | 12:14 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Old 03-07-2014 | 01:05 PM
Nollie
Pro

Luckily for me Cantrell had the in shop expertise to make the offending link be the right size (after chatting with ERP to determine which was the wrong part). In the end it worked out

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
That's always the concern w/ aftermarket parts, a friend just installed mono-***** in his stock rear arms, got it all together and found interference between the mono-***** and the longitudinal, what a PIA
Old 03-08-2014 | 09:33 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Bill, will this car see any road time like it currently does? Or will it be 100% track after the monoball installation?
Old 03-08-2014 | 12:15 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Get a 60" Crawford wing?

That is the only reason I'm doing this, these cars are scary at the Glen w/ whacked kt
If you mean scary as to the car's stability, consider installing a 60" Crawford rear wing with end caps and a 1" Gurney lip, and also add some front splitter extenders on to the GT2 front splitter, and track life will be unbelievably better for you as it now is for me.

On my local track, Willow Springs, I was typically turning 1:36 and 1:37 times. In December of 2013, I added the wing and a front splitter extension, and I am now 1:33 and 1:34...3 seconds better with no other changes, and on Nitto NT-01 no less, 245 front and 275 rear. I am going to see if I can add 305s to the rear now that I have added a bit more negative camber. The above claims can be documented on www.mylaps.com, look for Car Racing, then look for Porsche Owners Club events on 12/7-12/8/13 and 2/8 - 2/9/14, then look for Orange Run Group Qualifying for Martin Schacht.

At Willow Springs, there is a 130+ mph sweeper, Turn 8, with predictable strong cross winds and the car is steady as a rock. Prior to the Crawford wing and splitter extensions, I ran the standard GT2 (993 RS CS) front splitter and 993 RS CS tail. The car was a little scary in Turn 8.

In the enclosed pic, with the gratuitous self promoting title, you can see that 60" wing perched above the Club Sport tail...the front splitters are tough to see. I do have some close ups of the front splitter extensions if anyone is interested. The fabricator said he'd make more up if anyone needs a set.

Jae Lee at Mirage International in San Diego was the initial source for the wing initially. I am the second owner. I love the wing and especially the resulting 3 seconds a lap improvement.

Proviso: For those thinking of adding the Crawford wing, I wouldn't do it unless I had some "real" springs, let's say 600F/800R or 700F/900R. Some good struts and shocks are also required...for me, the Crawford wing and front splitter extensions are the end stage to a long list of suspension modifications, somewhat similar to what Bill has done to his car....well there are those ERP front suspension mono ***** I have been dreaming about, and the upgrade to the Walrod front bushings, but that will have to wait for now.

Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2014 | 06:47 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
If you mean scary as to the car's stability, consider installing a 60" Crawford rear wing with end caps and a 1" Gurney lip, and also add some front splitter extenders on to the GT2 front splitter, and track life will be unbelievably better for you as it now is for me.

No you misunderstood. The issue was that the rear alignment would get lost particularly kinetic toe, the last straw was the final 4 days of last season at the Glen, I put close to 1000mi on the car the first 2 were fine the last 2 miserable when I got home I found that the kt adjuster had self rotated by quite a bit thus explaining the spooky handling on day 3 & 4

Quick Reply: Phase XI