Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Brake squeal is so bad after front brake replacement, driving me insane...fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:09 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Thanks. I have no idea what is REALLY on it since I just can't remember at this point (and am totally sick of this) so I'll get it in writing what exactly is on the car and work to get what you describe since I'll do anything at this point to NOT HAVE SQUEALING BRAKES.

Also, the EBC pads seem to totally suck so far in terms of stopping ability. Serious brake fade after the back to back 60 mph to 20 mph hard stops.

I replaced the completely stock, original rotors/pads/spiders in 2006 with factory parts. At the time, my 993 had around 35,000 miles. I did it because I wanted to.

Nearly 30,000 miles later, and the brakes still feel like the hand of God yanks my sled to a stop. And they do so with nary a peep.

I also flush the brake & clutch circuits every year, but that is not at the heart of your issue.

Andreas
Old 04-05-2014, 02:42 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435

If your 993 has Porsche rotors, Porsche Textar pads, and Porsche 'spiders', it should brake correctly & quietly.

OE is not the same as OEM. Period.

Andreas
truth.

Textar pads here, sourced from FDM, nary a peep.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:14 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 437 Posts

UPDATE: 5.7.14 - Got my car back today after renting a black Kia Soul for a week. This is what they did (see below). The squealing is A LOT less so far. Barely heard it for the little bit of driving I did today after I got it back. We'll see how it goes... Just wanted to report back in as some have private messaged me about it.

"BG ANTI SQUEEK BG 100-S, 1 @ $20. Drove vehicle and bed new brake pad and rotors in. Customer complains of squealing noise. After multiple miles of harder driving, squealing was reduced significantly. Remove front pads and apply special anti-squeal compound to pad face material and test.

This vehicle's brakes are "race" quality and some squeal will always be a factor. We use factory parts and procedures to minimize this noise, however it is a common problem and the customer must use the brakes hard to remove the "glazing" that can cause the squeaking.

We have done everything with in our power and the customer this will have to maintain the brakes to squeal to a minimum. We are not responsible for the design or way in which the customer uses of any of the vehicle components, including the braking system."

Recommendations: Customer must heat cycle the brake pads to prevent/lessen brake squeek. There are only two street (non-race) compounds now available and these brakes are race quality and will always have moments of squeaking under certain conditions."

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 05-07-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Change shops. They are not using factory parts in the Porsche boxes. If they did, your brakes wouldn't squeal.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:36 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OE does not necessarily mean no squeal. Mine, ordered from Sunset as most of my stuff is, squeal under light braking. All OE. I do not have the spiders attached though, to facilitate quick pad changes for track days.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

+1 to Bart1's comment ... I also run without spiders or sensors for quick swap to track pads. I have little or no squeal with OE Textars (in Porsche packaging). This is a relative statement ... with the track pads I have squeal like a banshee so I might be thinking I have no squeal with the OE's by comparison.

Another RL member suggested washing off the disks ... and that helped for awhile but the squeal has always come back when using the harder compound pads.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:12 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 274 Posts

So the shop exhausted their efforts with street pads, and have settled for race pads? They will squeal here and there for sure. But as long as it's at an acceptable level, and you're ok with that, life is good then my friend, Steve
Old 05-07-2014, 03:37 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Porsche rotors in Porsche boxes + Porsche pads in Porsche boxes + Porsche vibration dampers in Porsche boxes = quiet, normal braking.

Porsche rotors in Porsche boxes + Porsche pads in Porsche boxes + Porsche vibration dampers in Porsche boxes = quiet, normal braking.

Andreas
Old 05-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Andreas
+993 My track pads sound like a garbage truck. I switch back and forth with Porsche rotors in Porsche boxes + Porsche pads in Porsche boxes + Porsche vibration dampers in Porsche boxes [B] and have NO squeal at all. I don't change the rotors for the track, I run stock.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:14 PM
jan the man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have stated here, when i did my brakes 2 years ago i installed Pagid pads.......brutal squealing, after 200 kms tossed them in the trash and installed Textars, almost no noise.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:59 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Which pads are in there now Steve?

I have big reds with oem rotors, like new textar rear with spiders. Fronts are squealing Pagid pads with old spiders. Waiting on new front textar and spiders from fd motorsports. Can't wait! Right now my front squeal horribly after 5 stops.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 437 Posts

Andreas
????????????????????? This is all I would ever want! Why did I not get that? I just don't get it. I really don't. I begged then, pleaded with them, do ANYTHING TO STOP THE SQUEALING. ANYTHING!!!! I'm lost. Truly lost. Why didn't they just put on what you're suggesting? You know these guys. Thoughts?!?!?!?!?!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
????????????????????? This is all I would ever want! Why did I not get that? I just don't get it. I really don't. I begged then, pleaded with them, do ANYTHING TO STOP THE SQUEALING. ANYTHING!!!! I'm lost. Truly lost. Why didn't they just put on what you're suggesting? You know these guys. Thoughts?!?!?!?!?!
I don't know your whole experience with this shop, but based on this particular venture, I agree with Falcondriver, time to try a different shop.

If you asked for something specific and they did not listen to the customer, EVEN if they disagree with it, they should still do as the customer requested, or at least discuss the reasons they disagree with you and come to an agreement on what should be done.

I have used no fewer than 5 different mechanics locally for a variety of things on my 993, until I found my most recent one. All of them are a little different and have different thoughts on things.

Best of luck.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:40 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

I think you need to order all the parts you want and then take them to a shop who will install them.

I just fixed my brake squeal tonight! I ordered C4S/Big Red Textar pads (yellow box) and new Porsche dampers/spiders from FD Motorsports. (Thanks Mark!)
I bed them in tonight and there is zero noise! So happy I could have reused the spiders but didn't want to risk having to wait for them if mine didn't peel off. They easily came off the old Pagid pads. Btw these pads were breaking apart really badly. Check out the pics.

Steve if you want a set of used front spiders for Big Reds just PM me.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Andreas
repeat above montra while curled up in the fetal position, rocking...with head against chest, in the corner

Quick Reply: Brake squeal is so bad after front brake replacement, driving me insane...fix?