Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Brake squeal is so bad after front brake replacement, driving me insane...fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:14 AM
thenickhughes
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a C4S and my very first 911 which is a 2009 Gen 2 with 27,000mls on the clock. I have owned it 5 days and it looks lovely with full carbon pack inc GT3 fixed bucket seats with carbon backs, black fuchs wheels, specced slip diff and ceramic brakes. The car looks great (white with black wheels and chrome dish) and also went well for the first 5 days of ownership. I could not stop smiling and was driving both hard on trips to London and also generally around town.

All of a sudden on breaking to a gentle stop (more noticeable) it has developed a loud squeeling/scratching noise which is noisy enough for me to hear in the car with the windows up and also make general passers by stop and look which is very very embarrassing.

As I bought the car from a Porsche main dealer and it has the 2 year warranty I took it back to Porsche in Sutton Coldfield only to be told, 1st - that the wheels were not right for the car and there was not enough cool air getting in to cool the breaks (now i'm only a roofer by trade but understood ceramic to have better heat handling potential!!!? and it didnt make this noise before or on my test drive) and 2nd that ceramic brakes are "just noisy".

Now i'm stuck reading various different reviews and with no real answers of suggestions on how to remedy this very embarrassing noise.

Never used a forum before or owned a 911 so here goes..... please help!

Thanks

Nick
---------------------------
512 TR, RR Overfinch, BMW 52Od
Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by thenickhughes
Just bought a C4S and my very first 911 which is a 2009 Gen 2 with 27,000mls on the clock. I have owned it 5 days and it looks lovely with full carbon pack inc GT3 fixed bucket seats with carbon backs, black fuchs wheels, specced slip diff and ceramic brakes. The car looks great (white with black wheels and chrome dish) and also went well for the first 5 days of ownership. I could not stop smiling and was driving both hard on trips to London and also generally around town.

All of a sudden on breaking to a gentle stop (more noticeable) it has developed a loud squeeling/scratching noise which is noisy enough for me to hear in the car with the windows up and also make general passers by stop and look which is very very embarrassing.

As I bought the car from a Porsche main dealer and it has the 2 year warranty I took it back to Porsche in Sutton Coldfield only to be told, 1st - that the wheels were not right for the car and there was not enough cool air getting in to cool the breaks (now i'm only a roofer by trade but understood ceramic to have better heat handling potential!!!? and it didnt make this noise before or on my test drive) and 2nd that ceramic brakes are "just noisy".

Now i'm stuck reading various different reviews and with no real answers of suggestions on how to remedy this very embarrassing noise.

Thanks

Nick
512 TR, RR Overfinch, BMW 52Od
Yes, it sure is an embarrassing noise and COMPLETED UNACCEPTABLE. I will not drive my car till this is fixed. I have an appt on Tuesday to get my pads replaced with something different which aren't supposed to squeal. I'll let you guys know how it goes. If they can't fix it, I'll spend ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY to get this fixed since I will not, cannot drive it the way it is. This is the latest reply weeks ago from my indie about it when I sent him all the info on this thread:

"Steve,

Yes , this is all old news to me. If you read you can see that even pads from over the counter at the dealer can still squeak. As I said before we use to use a softer pad that is no longer available. The pads we used for your car are factory over the counter Porsche pads w3ith all the trimmings. New sticky pads (spiders). Some of the squeaking can come from worn mounting clips and the piston wear distortion itself also.

Like I said, I have some softer pads coming that are special order. I will alert you as soon as they are here. They are more expensive , but they work very well with no dust / no squeak. they are about $80 more, all you need to do is pay the difference and I will do the labor no charge.

I have had these on order for a while since this is such a common problem and the only pads available are the factory, pagid race( way too aggressive) and this alternative (excellent name brand).

I am still willing to take the car for a couple days and bed in the pads."
Old 03-28-2014, 11:43 AM
thenickhughes
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks

Nick
RR Overfinch, BMW 52Od
Old 03-28-2014, 11:55 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 224 Likes on 183 Posts

Maybe post in the correct forum?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:43 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone tried to use a very high drop point silicone grease (ATE pastilube) on the pistons and pins? I think I may go this route rather than the spiders.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:03 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by L23FPorsche
Has anyone tried to use a very high drop point silicone grease (ATE pastilube) on the pistons and pins? I think I may go this route rather than the spiders.
Replacement Brembo caliper pistons from Porsche come with a ketchup packet of Klüberfluid for assembly. It won't do anything for the squeak! The spiders are an extra $80USD but they work.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:29 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Replacement Brembo caliper pistons from Porsche come with a ketchup packet of Klüberfluid for assembly. It won't do anything for the squeak! The spiders are an extra $80USD but they work.
The packet you are referring to appears to be an assembly lube for the pistons and seals. The silicone grease is for the back side of the pads and faces of the pistons. Would like to hear what others think of non-spider anti squeal options.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:23 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by L23FPorsche
The silicone grease is for the back side of the pads and faces of the pistons. Would like to hear what others think of non-spider anti squeal options.
You mean something like Permatex Disc Brake Quiet? That stuff doesn't work either. After a few miles the pistons separates from the pad. There is not enough surface area on the piston for an adhesive (hence the spiders). Otherwise Brembo's customers would be using just an adhesive.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 03-29-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:36 PM
L23FPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
You mean something like Permatex Disc Brake Quiet? That stuff doesn't work either.
No. Silicone "grease". A product like sil glyde. http://www.agscompany.com/lubricants/automotive/168.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:57 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

On the spring plates I've used Plastilube (same difference). But on the back of the pads? If the squeal is a result of the pads vibrating against the disc, how would that help?

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 03-29-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

About to take my car, tie an anchor to it and attach it to a boat to be used as a boat anchor. But before I do that, I'll let you know the latest. The EBC brake pads finally arrived at my indie after waiting a month for them. He installed them, hoping they would stop the squealing noise.

I have driven the car for a week now and the squealing is just as bad if not worse than the OEM pads I had before. I'm about to go postal. My buddy was following me today on the road in the city for 4 miles and kept laughing my me and my car (while he drove his Subaru station wagon WRX thingie with a super loud exhaust and is probably faster than my car off the line).

He said he has never heard squealing like this before on a car and he'd blow his brains out if he had to listen that squealing on his car all day. This made me feel even worse than I already did.

I'm going to park my car and not drive it anymore till my indie calls me back with a solution. He said my rotors are new, the did everything they could with the rotors, pads, etc this time to avoid squealing. They know all the tricks, they knew everything that was written on this post (earlier) and have done them to my car. Nothing has worked. They appear to be stumped and they're the best indie in my area.

They said that 993's tend to be the worst for squealing brakes. Whatever... I can't take it anymore and they never squealed like this before in the previous 10 years of ownership. I'm going to bring my car back there next week and just rent a car till they can solve this. I have tried the bedding in process to the point of craziness. 60 to 20 mph 5 or more times in row on an empty road, many times over... did nothing to solve this.

I can't believe this is happening. I will never drive this car again if they can't fix it. No one would want to. They have to be able to fix this, right?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:47 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Steve, did they install spiders? Those should quiet the brakes....

By the way, I chose to read your last post as if you speak like Richard Simmons. Adds lots of comedic value
Old 04-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Steve, did they install spiders? Those should quiet the brakes....

By the way, I chose to read your last post as if you speak like Richard Simmons. Adds lots of comedic value
I thought I asked them this like 6X since you guys mentioned it and I though they said YES but I'll double check with them when I bring it back there. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:14 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Steve,
The 993 is just a car. Its brakes, while fantastic, are nothing exotic.

They can squeal like a stuck pig if equipped with race compound pads, but otherwise should be as unobtrusive as any other brake setup.

If your 993 has Porsche rotors, Porsche Textar pads, and Porsche 'spiders', it should brake correctly & quietly.

OE is not the same as OEM. Period.

Andreas
Old 04-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Steve,
The 993 is just a car. Its brakes, while fantastic, are nothing exotic.

They can squeal like a stuck pig if equipped with race compound pads, but otherwise should be as unobtrusive as any other brake setup.

If your 993 has Porsche rotors, Porsche Textar pads, and Porsche 'spiders', it should brake correctly & quietly.

OE is not the same as OEM. Period.

Andreas
Thanks. I have no idea what is REALLY on it since I just can't remember at this point (and am totally sick of this) so I'll get it in writing what exactly is on the car and work to get what you describe since I'll do anything at this point to NOT HAVE SQUEALING BRAKES.

Also, the EBC pads seem to totally suck so far in terms of stopping ability. Serious brake fade after the back to back 60 mph to 20 mph hard stops.

Quick Reply: Brake squeal is so bad after front brake replacement, driving me insane...fix?